hi new guy here

j-s

Hey guys and gals! I new here and I have some questions. I am very close to getting a new ht system, well parts of it, and I would like to know what you guys think about it since I havent benn shopping for about 12 years in that sector. I'm thinking of getting a pair of RB-61 bookshelf plus a RW-10 sub with a ONKYO TX-SR505 receiver to start. Keep in ming I'm on a tight budget since I just bought a house. What you guys think of this start for a ht system?

Thx, I kind of know it's not the best receiver on the market but my problem is I have cost plus five where my wife work and they only sell sony and onkyo there for receiver. Right now I have an old sony I bought 12 years ago and the auto protect alway come on, I know it's probably not much but it's a very cheap receiver anyway and it give me a reason to buy a new one without my wife bitching too much lol. I looked at the 575 but for 5 what more it's not worth the extra money all the other extra stuff on it I don't need anyway.

Onkyo has some pretty nice stuff out this year. If you can afford it
(save an extra month before buying) I'd get the TX-SR605 or higher. The
TX-SR805 is UltraTHX2 certified and priced to move. If you're getting
stuff at cost+5% I'd kick you if you settle for the 505. The wattage
really isn't the issue, it's the features and quality.

You might want to consider getting some RF62's (or 82's) instead and buying a sub later if you're going to be listening to 2-channel mostly.

Well it's going to be use for music and movies. I know there is better quality and I was looking at the 605 but here even at cost plus 5 the price will bring my total over what I can afford for now. I will look at how much it would cost me for it but sofar I'm over a grand and the wife is not very happy with it. I know 1000$ for all that isn't much compare to the normal price but right now with the new house and the fence to build etc. I'm already surprised that she didn't say no way lol.

Thx for all the infos. Later on probably this year I will get some more stuff to complete a 7.1 system I hope.

Since you're on a tight budget, I would plan out where you want to be in the future and then make purchases towards that goal. I think it's already been mentioned, but I would also recommend purchasing a pair of floorstanders versus going with a pair of bookshelves and subs.

How large is your room? Is it open to the rest of the house?

As far as the receiver, I would argue that at the entry level stages you're paying for features instead of differences in sound quality. While there will certainly be different nuances between all the various brands and models, I would still recommend choosing the receiver that has exactly the feature set you want. Also, you're going to get more bang for the buck by putting more money into the speakers than into the electronics. All that to say, the receiver you mentioned seems like a good start (though I've never heard that specific model).

DrWho I would love to get floor standing instead but space is my problem right now thats why I settled for bookshelf and sub. Yes the room is open the the dining room, kitchen and hallway to upstairs. My plan is later get some floor standing and use the rb's as mids for my 7.1 plus getting some surronds for the rears but thats to come a bit later in the year.

Sounds like you've got a plan. [Y]

The only concern might be that the RW-10d won't be able to keep up when you make the move to floorstanders and all that in the future. Also, for about the same price you could get better performance from the Sub-12, but that probably won't be able to keep up in the future either.

I guess you have to ask yourself what are you going to get in the
future and what are you going to have to upgrade in the future. To
future proof things as best as possible you should picture what your
system will be when it's done. Depending on what twists and turns your
life takes it could be 2 years or more before your system is complete
(7.1).

You will regret not going with the 605 over the 505 in a
couple years because the 605 has Lossless Audio codec processing and
the 505 doesn't. Why this will be important in the future is because
players will soon ship without decoders inside them (transports). Those players will
be more affordable and eventually very few players will probably have decoders.
An extra $100 will save you at least that on a player in the future.

Get
the best speaker(s) you can afford. Skip the sub if you have to and go
with RB61's (or RB81's)and a good receiver. When you've saved up enough
grab a good sub. Although this is a Klipsch forum a lot of people here
will say you'll get better bang for the money out of other
manufacturers like SVS. The RB61's and 81's go pretty low for bookshelves. I had my sub turned off by accident once, without remembering, and thought my system sounded different but still pretty darn good. I think the 61 goes down into the low 40's which is pretty impressive.

Welcome to the board! I have to agree with matrixdweller. You will probably end up buying another receiver within a year if you don't go with something like the 605 or better with dolby hd and hdmi 1.3. Once you start with that, then buy the best klipsch speakers you can afford. If you skip the sub (which can be very expensive for a good one and well worth the extra money vs. a cheap sony etc.) you may want to consider a pair of floor standing speakers instead of bookshelf in order to get that low end grunt. You may want to get a pair or two of rf-3s if you are on a tight budget and want a system that you won't have to upgrade constantly.

Well guy's thx for all the info, I did make the original move with the rb61, rw10 and the 505 but it's at the trial level for now and I have the possibility to upgrade the receiver if I want to so the 605 might be coming in soon and the best part about it is my wife will not even see the difference so she won't even realize I changed it.

if you bought the stuff from best buy, you got 30 days to take it back. no questions asked. I cannot tell if you have floor space or not, I do not have the concentration to read the whole thread, but for same money as RB 61's, you can get a couple Herseys, or a couple la scalas.

I do not know where the line out came from, and why is is now gone. fonts are not a specialty of mine.

Thats my problem I don't have floor space thats why for now I'm going with bookshelf that will become sides speakers for my 7.1 set up later. I am already starting to look at the floorstanding for the next house and it will be between the rf63 and rf 82