Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 22

thebes

Well I'm a little tired tonight after a weekend with a near score of our fellow forum members so please excuse me if I keep this short.

Rickie Lee Jones, "The Magazine", lp, pop rock poet. Hard to describe this music because it's a bit of art house poetry mixed in with great licks and superb piano playing. Her voice is a mix between little girl meets sultry chanteuse. All I know is I like it and it is very well recorded.

Here's a quick review blurb off the net:

The Magazine (1984)

The sound here is extremely close to Pirates, though she does throw in some synth squiggling on a couple of
tracks ("Deep Space," "The Unsigned Painting"). But the tracks are shorter and more predictable, and more
self-consciously arty (an album-opening "Prelude," the closing suite "Rorschachs"). Fans will love the swaggering full
band numbers "The Real End," "Juke Box Fury" and "Runaround," plus the plaintive title track, but it's not exactly a
career high point. The musicians are mostly heavyweights like Steve Gadd, Nathan East, Steve Lukather, Victor Feldman, etc. Produced by RLJ and James Newton
Howard
. After this release Jones took five years off from recording. (DBW)

EXILE ON MAIN STREET : THE ROLLING STONES .............. Raw, whiskey-soaked Rock n' Roll ............ with Mick Taylor on Guitar ........ Sounds great on CD ........... Even better on Tubes ....... the Glimmer Twins Shine a Light ........ For True believers ........ "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" ..........