Duluth, MN

John Warren

when i was in the coast guard (on an ice breaking ship) we stopped in duluth a couple of times.

it was cold and we got drunk--i hope it was a nice place. unfortunately, as most sailors can attest, we rarely saw much of a town beyond the insides of the nearest watering hole.

Duluth is 3 hours away from me, across the border.... Miller Hill mall ( up close to hermantown ) is a favorite shopping destination, and London Road is the main drag off of HWY 61, before it turns at the big liquor store and starts I-35.

It is built on a mountain side, with a lot of one way streets. Standard transmissions = lots of clutch replacements, and a 4x4 would be a great thing in winter.

Its a great town if you like hills and industrial areas. The lift bridge is cool but the novelty wears off fast. There is a nice beach on the 'island' side of the lift bridge that's nice in the summer. They do have a lot of nice restaurants and shops in the Canal Park area.

Ridiculously cold in the winter and never gets too warm in the summer due to the air being cooled by Lake Superior. I think the average temperature for the Lake is around 42 degrees.

You'll always find yourself humming the tune to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald when you gaze across the great Gitchigumee. [:)]