Kg4 woofer rattling?

Jim Russ

I was given a pair of Kg4 speakers that are cosmetically near perfect. They sound great at medium volume with mellow music but when Augustus Pablo comes on with lots of low end dub there is a rattle coming from one of the speakers. I can't tell if it is coming from one of the woofers in the front or from the big one in the back. Is the back woofer passive?

What should my 1st step be? I would like to fix them - I've grown attached to these babies!

The rear 12" is just a passive so it is unlikely the problem. I
suspect it one of the 8" woofers is the culprit. You should be able to
figure it out fairly easily. With the speakers getting no signal,
press on the woofers (near the where the center dustcap attaches to the
cone) and listen for scratching sound or even feel. If none seem to
exhibit that, it might be that one of the dust caps is just loose and
buzzing so look for that too. If a woofer is indeed blown then you'll
need to replace it -- but Klipsch no longer has replacement parts for
KG4 woofers (but call 1-800-KLIPSCH to confirm). I once help a fellow
here find a suitible replacement woofer so you might try searching for
that thread (if need be).

Thank you for your response/suggestions. I did what you suggested and neither 8" woofer makes a scratching sound when I push them in. They move in and out evenly - they both seem just like the 2 in the other speaker. The dust caps don't move and they don't have any tears - something is rattling inside though.....

Sounds like the set of klf-10 I just rebuilt, Check the front panel, and back panel, if neither on seems loose take out one of the drivers and feel around inside for a structual peice that has "come unglued"

Good luck

Brac

O.K. Thanks for your input. Bear with me because I'm not 100% sure on the vocab everyone is using.

I took the woofers out and when I shake them one has some stuff loose inside the black center cone. Is that the dust cap or dust cone? Anyway that must be where the noise is coming from. Does that mean the woofer is broken? It moves in and out evenly and makes no noise.

Thanks angain for any help.

"Is that the dust cap or dust cone? " - Yes!

The woofer isn't actually broken (beyond repair), but it isn't right either. I would bet it is the same problem that I have seen with the Forte II woofers. If you shake the woofer and hear ANYTHING it IS most likely the same issue. The problem also usually can't be heard (temporarily goes away) if you fire the woofer toward the ceiling. The only way to get the crude out is to cut off the dust cap (the front center "bulge"), shake out the junk and glue a new dust cap on. As far as things going wrong, this is about the easiest/cheapest to fix. Once you get over the fear of doing it for the first time, it is a piece of cake. If you don't feel comfortable taking on the task yourself, a speaker repair shop should be able to handle it for minimal time/cost ... just explain WHAT needs to be done... you SHOULDN'T need to be re-coned or a new voice coil.