Klf-C7 vs. RC-3...

chuckears

Has anyone had the chance to perform an A\B comparison on the KLF-C7 (discontinued) and the RC-3 Center Channel? In the past, Klipsch recommended the KLF-C7 for use with the Fortes... I am just beginning to assemble my home theater set-up, and want to choose very carefully, since most items are going to be purchased on-line. I actually have the RC-3, but

1. Voices seem to sound a little off (as though everyone has a sore throat)- it could be the old receiver I'm using temporarily, and

2. I'm seeing good buys on the remaining stock of the C7; if it is going to sound better, I would like to grab one while I can still get the warranty.

... the other pieces I am looking at are the RS-3 surrounds and an Outlaw 1050... after that, it's the 57-inch HDTV (pending the difficult Spouse Approval), and I'm set...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Adcom GCD-700 CD Player

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

Cruzer,

Good question. I A/B'd an Academy and C7 a while back, but unfortunately not with my system. The C7 sounded slighty more forward than the Academy (at least that's what I recollect). However, they are very close, with the Academy being a perfect match with the Chorus, and the C7 a close match. I have the Chorus II and C7 combo, and I think it sounds great, but I'm always tempted to buy an Academy if a good deal comes up somewhere. No way would I pay what was showing up on Ebay several months ago (~400-500 for an Academy). The small difference between the two definitely doesn't warrant that kind of investment.

Colin

------------------

My System

The RC7 is definitely a nice center, but I was under the impression that it would not be a good timbre match with the Quartet/Forte/Chorus series speakers. Klipguy, are you running your RC7 with any of these? If so, how does it match up?

Thanks,

Colin

------------------

My System

Don't know if this helps you, but I had an RC-3 at home with my KLF-20s prior to buying a KLF-C7. IMHO, the RC-3 was a good speaker but a bad match with the KLFs. The timbre match was quite a bit off, and I had to crank it up several dB to keep up with my more efficient KLFs. I love my C7, despite its large size. IMHO, the RC-3 is a great match with the Reference series, but not the best match with anything older. But, I haven't heard the RC-3 with anything other than Reference or my KLFs.