KG4's in home theater?

clay

I've got a pair of kg4's and am wondering if they can be matched as front units with any currently available Klipsch center channel speakers for a surround sound setup? I would prefer to use the kg4's rather than buy new for the front pair. Related question: how important is it to also match the rear pair? I have a pair of boston acoustics in the rear of my cathedral ceiling family room, and was planning to use them. Thanks for any help.

The SC-1 was listed as the match for the KG-4 on the old speaker matching chart. I had this setup for a while but found the sc-1 to be lacking. I bought a used KV-3 from Myram and I have to say that it was a big improvement over the SC-1. It really tied the front soundstage together. You could probably find one used without too much trouble.

If you want new then you have either the SC-1 or possibly an RC-3. I've not tried an RC-3 with the KG-4's but perhaps someone else here has.

As for the rears, while it's important to timbre match all of the speakers the rears are a little less important than the front array. I'm currently using RS-3's for the rear and I'm very happy with them. I don't know anything about the sound of the BA's so I can't say if they're a decent match.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

Just another newbie's take on this..

Noth wishing to start any arguements or anything, but I have had a set of kg4's as my home theater mains for years (absolutely luv 'em). I very recently (on the advice of this board and the Klipsch chart) upgraded to an SC-1 center and I think (IMHO) that it is a great match. Depending on the source, I find it can be even a bit too strong, although in most cases, it seems to be an almost perfect compliment to my 4's. The only case I have yet found where it may lack a bit was dialogue during the battle sequences in Pearl Harbour - the mains were definitely overpowering the dialogue.

This says to me that a couple of factors come into play here -- 1) Different equipment driving the speakers makes a difference, and most importantly 2), the biggest determining factor will be what your own ears hear and prefer. Try to demo an SC-1 if possible and see what you think. If budget is a determining factor, the SC-1 (again IMHO) certainly makes a fine addition to your system. I have not been disappointed.

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

I should be clear. The SC-1 is a good speaker and I was more or less pleased with it. I spent a lot of time here reading posts about how the KV centers really made a significant impact to the front soundstage when coupled with the KG's. Those posts described what I felt was lacking in my front array. I didn't have a strong, seamless front soundstage and it wasn't due to speaker placement.

When I got the KV-3 the improvement was immediate and unquestionable. The entire soundstage filled in for me. Dialogue was stronger, sound effects were seamless in front, lateral panning. Everything improved and 'tied' together. Even my non-HT wife noticed that the front soundstage sounded, in her words, 'stronger'.

The SC-1 is a very good alternative. It's just that they say that you don't realize what you're missing until you've had a chance to demo other speakers. I thought I was going to be happy with the SC-1. Then I heard the KV-3 and knew immediately that it was an improvement over the SC. Unfortunately, when I picked up the KV at Myram's house he demo'd his new Academy for me. Now I really want one of thoseSmile.gif

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

I've read some of your system upgrades over at HTF. Scary. Maybe someday I'll get to hear it again.

I ran the idea of an addition to my house by the wife this past weekend. She shocked the hell out of me when she said it was a good idea. Granted, it won't be for a few years (we just bought the house) but I'm going to get a dedicated HT room. I've already done a rough design for the addition. I'll save a lot by doing my own drawings and using some friends that are contractors. One of the perks of being an architect.Smile.gif

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

• 4 weeks later...

The KG4 is a deceptively strong speaker for its size. I had been using them as mains with a KLF-C7 center for a time & thought they worked well together- every bit as well as the KLF-20s I replaced them with. Don't let the matching charts fool you - a Legend center will not overpower them.

KG4 - the little speaker that can!!

------------------

We Like our speakers big & heavy!