Room dimensions

jackpod

Hiya Who,

The vaulting goes up in the shorter dimension, Khorns amongst other speakers.

Actually here is the scenario. The room is currently 30' square. I want to divide it, I was thinking somewhere between 17' and 19' wide. The vault is currently perfectly even with the peak in the middle so divided the vault would be 15' rise and then the remainder sloping downward. Using this room as a sound room/theater was an after thought after building. Speakers and screen on a short wall, seating at the other end. Square doesn't cut it (too symmetrical ) and even with khorns it takes a lot to fill it.

I would put the Khorns spread 30 feet apart with the vertex of the vault running the "length" (shorter length) dividing the room in half (so the the ceiling angles up from the sides of the room towards a peak in the middle instead of rising up the front of the room and sloping down in the back). The reason for this is that you don't want the sloping of the ceiling to focus reflections coming from behind you - it simply sounds bad and is very difficult to fix with acoustical treatment.

With the vertex running the length of the room you can take advantage of the extra vertical space and employ some very efficient acoustical treatments that are not visually distracting. Or if you don't want to play with acoustical treatment, it'll still sound better this way (usually better than a room with a flat ceiling too).

As far as an optimal depth for this configuration, your ideal listening position will be 15 feet from the front wall since the khorns splay at 45 degrees from the corners. You don't want the listening position to be in the middle of the room (not a problem since you don't want a square anyway), but you don't want to be too close to the rear wall either. You could probably find yourself a few "ideal room dimension calculators", but I've found that sitting about 2/3 of the way back in the room tends to sound rather good - which would require a room depth around 22 feet. I wouldn't go any closer than 5 feet to the rear wall.

If instead, you put the Khorns on the 22 foot wall, then you would need to sit 11 feet back from the front wall and then you'd be in the front 1/3 of the room. Actually, now that I think about it, this might be a better configuration since all of the reflections from the rear of the room will be delayed longer in time, helping make the room sound larger than it is. And then being closer to the speakers is going to reduce the relative magnitude of room modes and also increase the direct to reflected sound ratio.

Either way, make sure the vertex of the ceiling runs front to back.

Are you looking for a large open feel or a more intimate one?

My experience in polling Klipschorn users who are very satisfied with their room layouts sit .7 to .8 x the room width from the front wall. This would make ideal seating for a 30 foot Khorn spread at 21 to 24 feet, and for the 22 foot wall you'd sit 15 to 17.5 feet away.

I agree that is seems best to sit in the back 2/3 of the room. this make the room reflections from the rear wall shorter and just looks better in most rooms.

My room is 23 feet wide and I sit 15 feet back (against the window wall). WooDog's is nearly identical. Roger should sit on his coffee table LOL (but the furniture just has to go there)

My room is 23 feet wide and I sit 15 feet back (against the window
wall). WooDog's is nearly identical. Roger should sit on his coffee
table LOL (but the furniture just has to go there)

I did toe them out a bit... with false backs.. Heheheheh

Of the many many rooms I have seen K horns in... unless you also use a center channel...that golden ratio seems to be 18- 24 feet apart..

More so 22- 24 if you want my unbiased opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. In the room as it is I do have a Belle for a center fill and I sit back at about 24 feet. Granted if I slide my chair forward about 5 feet it sounds a lot better. The perfectly symtrical square is more of an issue, why I am considering dividing the room. Standing waves are quite prominate. Also I find the meters on my McIntosh MC7300 hanging around 100+ watts if i really want to fill the room. I was hoping to find out 18 to 19 feet wide to be acceptable because that would still leave a nice size room out the leftovers and I wouldn't have to deal with existing ceiling lights or doors and windows.

Ok, here is another idea I had while typing this, If i put backs on the Khorns, do they really sound as good out of the corners as they would if in the corners? I could then move one in about 8' - 9' and could also toe them out so I could still sit back 24 or so feet

Could you provide some sketches of your room?

I was talking to mas last night and he had some wicked cool suggestions. Are you wanting this to be a dedicated listening room or will it be multipurpose? And what are your plans for the leftover space?

Well First I do listen at concert hall levels at times, second I am in a room that is 900 square feet, huh? What did you say? and yes it is overwhelming when I crank it like that and yes I have seen levels of 110-112 and higher, and my hearing might not be what it should, but 15 years playing in bands 25 years ago could have something to do with it also. If I could overcome the defincies of the square room, the sound as it is will take your breath away and I guess the reason I live on 2.5 acres with no neighbors