sound difference Chris Munson and Bob Crites forte II crossover

wilfredvdl

Hello,

Today I installed a pair of BC titatanium tweeters and they are really an improvement, more detailed and sparkling highs. So now I'm very interested in upgrading the crossovers. As there are 2 choices I'm curious what the differences are. Has anybody heard both of them? Any difference in sound character, dynamics, detail, smoothness, stereo imaging etc..

Wilfred

So why did you get the titanium diaphragms from Crites instead of from Klipsch? Klipsch already makes titanium diaphragms for their 1" horns. I cannot say I've priced them, but unless they are a lot more I would order the Klipsch ones. To me it just makes more sense to get parts from the speaker manufacturer rather than a third party source -- no offense intended towards Bob though.

Didn't know Klipsch USA supply these also. Only read about the Crites tweeters and positive reactions on this forum. Ordered a tweeter only a few years ago from Klipsch Netherlands, they supplied a poly one, the price was higher than BC and I had different tweeters 1 poly and 1 phenolic.

Anyway I really would like to know if anyone has experience with both Munson and Crites crossovers.

I don't know if this helps but I have BEC/Bob Crites crossovers in 2 sets of Heresys...very nice, I believe Bob is the most affordable and gets you to how your Klipsch speakers sounded when new but with better crossover parts used...

I have a "popbumpered" Chris Munson "K-Stack" in my Academy...Chris makes an entirely new crossover that is superior to the one that came on the speaker you bought...should perform better than they did new...Chris is more expensive but that is because everything is new and engineered differently...

I have been happy with both and hope to upgrade the crossovers on my Quartets soon...both make crossovers for the Quartet and it has been difficult for me to make this decision myself.

Welcome and Good luck.

Bill

Yes thanks! Also checked the forum and noticed some earlier topics about the forte2 crossovers. Both use much higher quality parts compared with the original one but from different brands sonicaps and kimber. Both sound better than the original, like vocals more forward and better bass. As you find it difficult to make a choice between the two for your Quartets, I assume there is no real difference except the K-stack looks much better with nicer speakerwire and price is a bit higher.

Hi guys:

For anyone reading up on crossover differences, I would just like to add a note about K-stack pricing, which generally is understood as "higher" than other alternatives. While I do my absolute best to price these networks fairly, the logistics involved in parts procurement, availability, and pricing are difficult to maneuver. While I have made a strong effort over the last two years to keep my prices in line, I am slowly being forced to escalate them.

If you look at the K-stack versus other formats, you need to also understand that they are unique, and because of their construction incur additional charges (which are passed along, NOT marked up):

1) The K-stack uses custom PCB's and hardware, adding cost

2) I use autoformers, and have to pay the "going price" (not a criticism, just a reality); if you are the guy who makes AND uses them, you don't have to pass that cost along.

3) I cannot buy parts in bulk, because I do not have an established business and/or web site as others have. I can only buy in small batches for each build, since I can't afford to stock many $$ worth of components I potentially won't use. This also adds cost, because shipping is an add for every build.

4) I source from no less than three vendors (Madisound, Parts Express, Bob Crites), because I have yet to find ONE vendor that carries all the brands and part formats I have grown used to. This adds cost, because shipping is involved in every transaction.

As far as quality and sound differences, the whole field is rife with subjective opinion; I would never venture to tell anyone that my product is "superior" - that is clearly wrong. It's your decision to make. If it comes down to price or popularity, I would probably lose every time. If a purchase is predicated on price alone, your decision is made for you. The work involved is extensive, and the small profit I make hardly covers the effort ; the money is not my driving force.

I just wanted folks to better understand that my "higher costs" are not something I get to enjoy after payment is made. I am just trying to provide the hobbyist with a robust, quality product they can be proud of. For those who have purchased and continue to enjoy their networks, I thank you for your confidence. For those who have asked and declined, I appreciate your interest and hope you found a reasonable solution for your needs. For those who may want to investigate the possibility of owning K-stacks, I hope I can serve you; please ask.

Thanks for your time!

Chris

Great discussion. I have the BEC crossovers for my Forte IIs (and the titanium tweeters). Bob's crossovers are also brand new, BTW, and they certainly look very nice (to me at least)...not that you can see them in the speaker cabinet, but at least YOU know they look and feel like...quality. And, most important, they sound incredible (or should I say they don't sound at all...?)

I would love to see some independent measurements of these two crossovers (BEC/Kstack). Measurements would not tell us how they sound, but could give a comparison of the two. Then of course, install them in a pair of identical speakers and subjectively compare them.

Surely this is not so difficult for the vast resources here.

I'm convinced both are quality products and think it's great these products are available, no other speaker brand has a forum like this. For me the price is the least important, It's really about sound character, I'm sure there are some. Years ago I compared 2 amplifiers a Naim Nait and a Van Medevoort (Dutch brand). The VM had better instrument separation and deeper stereo image, but the Naim made guitars sound more intense and dynamic. At that time I chose the VM, however if I had to make the same choice now later I would go for the Naim. These kind of differences I would like to know and then make my choice. Hope some forum members will be able to compare both products and make a soundreport in the near future.

Nice post Chris, I can certainly relate.

I'm big on as many soldered connections as possible, and I think that's a plus with the K-stack. You also use a film type cap on the low pass section, and though it's not critical for that application, it's a nice touch and certainly contributes to the higher cost.

I would love to see some independent measurements of these two crossovers (BEC/Kstack).

Since the circuits are the same, most measurements would reveal them to be identical. As far as sound, I suspect there will be some differences, however subtle.