Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Nov. 20

thebes

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday. The Forum changeover wouldn't take my old password but thanks to Amy I'm back in business.

Turkey Day this week. I intend to eat until I can't move. So what else is new. That means I will be capable of either watching some football or throwing some tunes on.

Quess what I'm going to do. Combine them both with a musical DVD.

American Foks Blues Festival, 3 Volumes, dvd/blues. Saw one of the 3 at a friends house this weekend and am definetly going to have to track them down and buy them. This was created in 1962 by West German tv using a sound stage and live venues as a number of American blues musicians toured the country. Howlin Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson, just to name a couple of about a dozen of the finest practitioners of the blues at that time and all at the peak of their powers.

This footage was only rediscovered recently and to blues affaciandoes it's like a historian discovery an original copy of the Constitution.

Recording quality is surprisingly good too.

Here's a link to a description:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_American_Folk_Blues_Festival_1962-1966/70004096?strkid=851718852_1_0

So what do you have to share this week?

You slacker :) Just for that I am going to recommend more weird Japanese new wave/punk!

This is a various Japanese artist compilation called "A Fine Tribute To New Wave" which includes one of my system tests tracks called Eager Bereaver original performed by STUMP but performed by Next End Girlfriend. That track is what I call a cacophony test it has so much going on with so many musical layers many systems have trouble reproducing it well. I have heard this track on lots of systems but none do it like fully horn loaded Klipsch. This compilation is odd in the fact that they are all covers by somewhat obscure New Wave bands. The compilation is great if you like new wave /punk and modern Japanese music or if your bored and want to try something truly unique : ) This compilation is available on ebay for $18.

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Arch/VA/Compilation/KSCL-646/

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Fine-Time~-Tribute-WAVE-CCCD/dp/B000197KZ8

How about some good old American late 60s folk music from a couple of long haired hippies that are still playing the circuit, and still fantastic?

These guys are what Simon and Garfunkel could have been if they both had talent and stuck together.

If you're in the Northeast and get a chance to see a show, you owe it to yourself to do it. Neal Shulman plays the Taylor accoustic like Clapton plays a Strat. Rex Fowler still sounds like he's 21. They have been together 35 years. Their songs have depth and feeling that you can relate to and their music gets your foot tapping.

It's good stuff and these guys are a purist version of what any good Folk Music duo should be.

Posted Image

Well, had planned on doing an Alvin Lee CD, but I bought that Clapton Guitar Festival 2007, and have been watching it since. Have watched both Disc's, and just now found that bonus disc, have to watch later, but have been really into Disc 2, the first disc is good, and in all fairness, deserves more than one watching before I write about it, but disc two was the one I really wanted to see, well ...........

CROSSROADS ; Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007 ............ 2 disc set + bonus short DVD ............... DTS ................... Summer 2007 ......

Been waiting awhile for this one, actually, they turned this set out pretty quickly, and it was worth the wait. Like I wrote before, I've only watched disc 1 once, so will do that one another time.......DISC 2 ...... Starts out with a couple from John Mayer, not one of my favorites, mind you, but a fine guitarist none the less. I would be proud to play like that.....John does good...Next up, Los Lobos, again, not my favorite, but a nice couple of songs, Good Band, sounded real good ... JEFF BECK, what can I say? I would have liked to seen more, and different footage, but the Man can play a guitar. Awesome display, too short, but, is that Bass Player a Cutie or what? She can play too.....Can you imagine playing on stage with Jeff beck....Wow, great job...To be honest, Jeff Beck was my main reason for getting this set, that all changed the minute ERIC CLAPTON and his Band broke into,"Tell The Truth", Oh My God, that is worth the price of this set, Awesome display, Eric hasn't played better in years !!! Then into, "Isn't It A Pity" EC paying homage to a passed friend, what a great rendition, leading us to,"Little Queen Of Spades", the Blues number you know is coming. This NEW Band that he is playing with right now, is a great change, in my opinion, more Rock, a harder edge to his Blues ................ This is the Eric Clapton I've been waiting for, this band reminds me of Derek and The Dominos, they are that good, well back to the disc..........Next Up Robbie Robertson joins EC and the boys for,"Who Do You Love",one and done .... Next Up, another reason why I wanted this set, STEVE WINWOOD, the Voice of a Generation, onstage with EC and band, let's just get to it,"Presence Of The Lord","Can't Find My Way Home","Had To Cry Today", Pure Blind Faith, these guys are sooo goood, great set of songs by a couple of Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, Eric and some of the Band leave the stage, and Steve and remaining members break into,"Dear Mr. Fantasy", Yeah Baby, touchin' all the bases, back comes Eric and the Boys, and "Crossroads" is what they finish with ....... I like these type of DVD's , great show, can only imagine you lucky members that were there ..... Let me finish up, then who brings the show to a close, Buddy Guy, good call, his town anyway,he does, "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and "Damn Right I Got The Blues", and the show ending,"Sweet Home Chicago", with a bunch of guitars on stage, fitting close...... Well, there it be, Disc 2 is worth the price of the set...........Looking forward to seeing 2 song disc they include, hope it's Eric and his band..... ENJOY THIS DVD ................ Sounds pretty good Cranked Up ....................

I think this New Band Eric has put together is a very good thing. I see a spark, a fire, if you will, in Eric I haven't seen for awhile. The Band that plays on this Disc 2, is the BEST BAND Eric has played with in years, they would give the Dominos a wicked run for the money, I'm Serious, I have in the past commented about Derek Trucks no being so good, it's been 3 or 4 years since I last saw him, he has come along ways, not super-star, but he has honed his craft, and it shows. Eric and Derek sound good, the old Fender/ Gibson swapping back and forth is music to my ears, and the double drummers. All I know is they sound GREAT............ a new chapter for EC ?.............. We'll See

I'll do Disc 1 one of these days, Why Not get 2 postings out of it? ...................... EH !!!!!!!!!

I'm really glad you liked that Clapton 07 DVD! I already ordered it, but am not allowed to actually open/touch or listen to it until my birthday and/or Christmas, whatever one my wife decides to give it to me for. (s*cks having a b-day just before X-mas.)

Great report 'buckster!!

That's all everyone has been talking about was Jeff Beck's fantastic performance so I have been eagerly awaiting this dvd. Needless to say I was quite disappointed upon reading the box that John Mayer gets more airtime than Beck. I can't shell out that much $ for 2 Beck songs even if one is Cuz We've Ended As Lovers. Maybe they'll release his entire performance.

Hey Steve, just got that Axtec 2 Step in a box of records. Will have to give it a whirly.

Just hanging here Seti. Brining a turkey as I type and I'll be smoking it tomorrow. Never done the brining thing before so it should be interesting.

That's all everyone has been talking about was Jeff Beck's fantastic performance so I have been eagerly awaiting this dvd. Needless to say I was quite disappointed upon reading the box that John Mayer gets more airtime than Beck. I can't shell out that much $ for 2 Beck songs even if one is Cuz We've Ended As Lovers. Maybe they'll release his entire performance.

As much as I bought it for Jeff Beck, and I did buy it for Beck, two things, Like him or not, I'm not a fan, John Mayer can play a Guitar, I wish I was that good, and Eric Claptons New Band Line-up is well worth the price of the set. The bonus DVD is two more songs done by Clapton's Band. Does the word Dominos mean anything to you? Bonus disc Not 5.1, but Good Stereo, a fine set of Disc's for $19.99 ............ Not everyone will like it, some music I don't care for, but it's more about the Guitar, and they way people play them, than about the people............The Guitar Gods are Smilin' .................

I read someplace that Jeff Beck didn't make the previous Guitar Festival due to contractual issues. Maybe he isn't the same label as Clapton and there wasn't an agreement that could be reached within the constraints of the charity event. Maybe a couple songs was the "teaser" for a more profitable JB DVD at a later date. Who knows.

In any event, I used to love Jeff Beck, as I really loved his Blow by Blow album. But his career has been so erratic that it's hard for me to get at all excited about him. That, and I went to see him at the Orpheum in Boston, and my take away was that he was one more pyro-technic guitar player without a lot of soul in the same genre as Satriani, Vai, etc. There are just so many good guitar players whose fingers can run scales and go fast, but it takes so much more than technique to be a Clapton, SRV, Carlos Santana or Buddy Guy, does it not?

I know I'd like JB personally, we could talk fast cars and motorcycles all day long and listen to Clapton and SRV records. But I don't think he fits in the same league with these other guys, he's just too distracted, or at least that seems to be how it comes off if you look at his discography and career.

Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore these are hard guys to get along with, Great Guitarist's but not people persons. Jeff Beck is all about the Guitar, all about Guitar Superstar, Blackmores the same, but no matter what anyone says, They can make the Guitar sing, and they both are very skilled in the art of Guitar Playing, they are Stars, no matter what people think .................. Jeff Beck played Guitar Fest. last year, but at the last minute, cancelled his apprearence on the first Festival's DVD ........... That's Jeff Beck .............. Personally, I would love to have more Jeff Beck on DVD, I have all the CD's, because I think he's the Greatest Guitarist ALIVE ...........Alive being the keyword ............. JIMI HENDRIX WAS THE GREATEST ..... In my view !!!

Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore these are hard guys to get along with, Great Guitarist's but not people persons. Jeff Beck is all about the Guitar, all about Guitar Superstar, Blackmores the same, but no matter what anyone says, They can make the Guitar sing, and they both are very skilled in the art of Guitar Playing, they are Stars, no matter what people think .................. Jeff Beck played Guitar Fest. last year, but at the last minute, cancelled his apprearence on the first Festival's DVD ........... That's Jeff Beck .............. Personally, I would love to have more Jeff Beck on DVD, I have all the CD's, because I think he's the Greatest Guitarist ALIVE ...........Alive being the keyword ............. JIMI HENDRIX WAS THE GREATEST ..... In my view !!!

I appreciate Hendrix' talent more now than I did then, I guess that's true of all the musicians I like. But, "greatest" vote still goes to SRV.