Can anyone date these La Scalas?

jjcarr

Any idea what vintage these are? (assuming the picture came across) The tweeter and midrange both use a square magnet and it has an AA crossover. As you can see the horns have a fabric cover and the Klipsch logo is right in the middle. I do not have the serial numbers on them.

James

The serial number might be stamped into the edge of the plywood on the rear of the cabinet. The Type AA network is pre-82, but Klipsch didn't use square squawker drivers in La Scalas. The rectangular magnet tweeter is correct (K-77-M).

John

Correction, yes they are rectangular magnets on the skwaker and tweeter.

I'm guessing that at some point in their life they were stolen as any sign of a serial number appears to have been removed. However, I'm certain that the guy I got them from didn't steal them.

James,

Can you get the serial # from the back of the speakers? That's the only real way to tell. I think the square (Alnico?) magnets would have to be pre '83. The Klipsch nameplate on the grill seems to have been re-attached since it's placement appears to be right over the tweeter...my nameplate is right at the bottom/center of the grill below the squaker.

Dave

My '78 La Scalas have the Klipsch logo located in the same position. They came that way from the factory.

Check the back panel for the serial number. It should be stamped in the wood on the top edge of the back panel. It is right in front of the crossover on my speakers.

Every serial number has been removed, both the sticker and the stamped number appears to have been cut out. They must have been a theft recovery at some point because they had obviously been in the previous owner's posession for a long time and he really struck me as an upstanding type.

Without the serial number there is no way to date them accurately. The K-77-M was used beginning in the late 70s and the Type AA was used through 1981 with a K-55-V squawker. The -V has a round softball sized grey cover over its AlNiCo magnet, not square. With the known changes, there is no telling what year they were made, even the K-77-M could be an update. If the K-77-M is original, I'd say 1977 to 1981.

John

If the midrange driver has a square magnet there is a 99.999% chance it has been replaced with a T22A Peavey driver.A good part, it should be hooked to tap #3 on the autoformer, and not tap #4 like the stock K55V would be.