McIntosh front glass panel cracked

artto

First.....Happy Thanksgiving all!!

I just got my first MAC piece in a long time, a MX130 preamp A/V control center for everyday/always on use to replace my Crown DL2. Unfortunately the front glass panel was cracked pretty badly during shipment. Anyone have any idea what this might cost to replace? A few of the bulbs are out too. I already filed a claim with UPS but the authorized repair center here in Chicago wouldn't give me even a rough idea of the cost unless I brought it in & paid their estimate fee (which I'll eventually do, no choice really).

Artto,

Check with Audio Classics like Bill suggests. Do the leg work on the cost of the parts for me and I'll email you an estimate to print up for UPS that will cover your hassles of installing the glass and bulbs on your own. Once you get the $ you can order the parts yourself from Audio Classics. The glass and bulbs should be pretty easy to install.

Craig

Order the glass direct from Mac and I will put it in for you.

I already have one Mac 30 under my belt for the same reason. Not as easy as a C28 but not terrible.

Also order the rubber gaskets that hold the micro switches in place and check for any burnt out bulbs. May as well get everything at once.

I think the total cost was like $135 from Mac about 3 years ago?

post-14158-13819353831638_thumb.jpg

Contact McIntosh Labs and they do reprints once or twice a year. They are not cheap, but they take three to five passes with the silk screen machinery to make a perfect image. If they have some in stock they will send one out, or put in an order for when they have enough to run a new batch. It is better to get a new one, than one that might also crack. It is worth the email or phone call.

Phone: 607-723-3515 (or 800-538-6576)
Fax: 607-723-1917
Parts E-mail: bscott@mcintoshlabs.com
Parts E-mail: gsteere@mcintoshlabs.com
Service E-Mail: sbutt@mcintoshlabs.com

Thanks Guys!

Audio Classics quickly got back to me. For parts the glass panel is $199 and the bulbs $3 each. They said (in reference to repairing it myself) "It is a tedious job, but can be done with time to replace the broken parts." I'm sure I have the skill to do this, but probably not the time. And hopefully since UPS should be paying for this I'd rather just have it serviced. So I may be getting in touch with a couple you. The UPS agent should be over here sometime next week. Hopefully the jolt that broke the glass didn't do any internal damage. I've left it on 24/7.

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried those LED conversion kits for the front panel lights? Are they any good? I might want to do the conversion while its being repaired.

So far it seems like a nice piece, much better sound IMO than early MAC soilid state from the 70's and early 80's which I never really cared for - not that they were "bad" per se', just not my cup of tea, a little dark/opaque/dull sounding to my ear. The tuner seems to work fine too so the Yamaha T2 will probably be retired. The whole objective of this purchase was to reduce the number of components, increase rack space, and get the convenience of remote control along with the added bonus of 5 channel available.

What wrong with contacting McIntosh? Just 6 miles from Audio Classic ........... Very nice folks at McIntosh !!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting- I (wrongly assumed), that Audio Classics was the B&M storefront for McIntosh............Learned something new Today!

Please Post Pictures when you get your Unit up and working again! Good Luck.

What wrong with contacting McIntosh? Just 6 miles from Audio Classic ........... Very nice folks at McIntosh !!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting- I (wrongly assumed), that Audio Classics was the B&M storefront for McIntosh............Learned something new Today!

Please Post Pictures when you get your Unit up and working again! Good Luck.

Two seperate business' ............Both places are Good Folks .............. Really was impressed with McIntosh, very nice folks