Chorus II vs La Scala II

bradleyc

Okay, they're not that ugly, but they're definitely funky and would be acceptable in fewer living rooms than Scalas or Jubilees. Does that extra width improve the bass extension or sensitivity noticeably, compared with a La Scala?

I wonder how FH-1s would sound tipped on their sides? With a Scala (or Scala II) HF section on top, you'd have a taller Scala but keep its 2-foot width, not a bad compromise/improvement.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have not heard any tractix horns, the exponential horns on my La Scalas and Heresy IIs don't sound nasal, honky, or hollow, to me or to anyone who has ever listened to them. Listening to a tractix-equipped speaker might be an eye- and ear-opener, but my current stuff sounds pleasant and realistic to me.

Like I said, it's relative. Just because "nasal, honky, or hollow" might be construed as negative attributes doesn't mean that the relative difference couldn't be described as such. In other words, I agree that the oldschool Klipsch doesn't sound honky, but compared side by side with tractrix it does...

Might be construed as negative? There's no bright side to "nasal, honky, or hollow". Even so, it's possible those characteristics are there, just that they're below the threshold of being annoying, so I can't hear them. I'm content to listen to my Scalas until the all-tractix La Scala III comes out in 2029 or so.

A couple more things about the Peavey FH-1. Attached are the specs. I imagine you could build one for standing on end. That would be the configuration of the orginal LaScala. Of course, the access panel would be visible on one side.

FH1.pdf

I just purchased a pair of the RF-63s and an RC-52. As a long time owner of the Heresy II's, I can honestly say I prefer the reference series, they don't have that Klipsch "sound", but on the other hand, they really give a tremedous, wall of sound that my more efficient ( 1 db ) Heresy's can't produce. They don't have the typical Klipsch character we all have come to love, but I have really grown used to these in a very short period of time.

On the other hand, they are efficient, accurate and create a far better sound field in both music and multimedia, hey, it's progress and I love it.

I have heard Chorus IIs and I have heard La Scalas IIs and I own 2004 La Scalas and they are all outstanding speakers.

The Chorus IIs are a great speaker but the La Scala IIs sound better in every area except the lower bass but the LS IIs have better bass than my 2004 LS(RJMO).

So if money is a factor then the Chorus IIs are the best bargin for your money.

If money is not a factor then you have to decide what sound you like better.

I heard the Chorus IIs and for me I still prefer the sound of the La Scalas IIs. If the lower bass is a must then the Chorus IIs.

Every time I heard the Chorus IIs and I really enjoyed listening to them at my friends house I would come home and listen to the same music and my La Scalas always put a big smile on my face. I still prefer the midrange and tweeter on the LS. The Chorus IIs has lower bass and the midrange does have a bit smoother presentation compared to my 2004 LS but the LS IIs have a smoother midrange to my ears than my LS.

I have heard Heresys, Fortes, Chorus IIs, Cornwalls and the La Scalas and KHorn midrange and tweeter just gives the music the most real or live sound from any Klipsch speakers I have heard(RJMO).

But that does not mean the La Scala and KHorn are the right Klipsch speaker for everyone. It comes down to personal listening prefrences.

RJMO-Remember Just My Opinion

In other words, I agree that the oldschool Klipsch doesn't sound honky, but compared side by side with tractrix it does...

There is no right or wrong just what each person likes or dislikes.

DrWho prefers the Tractix horns I prefer the exponential horns on my LS. I don't agree with him but like I said it's what each person likes or dislikes. I have heard both speakers(LS and Chorus IIs) and I could live with either but I prefer the LS.

This has been a difficult purchase decision without ever hearing LS2's, thank you all very much for your input. Went ahead and ordered a pair of walnut LS2's today, will share my comparison with Chorus II when the speakers arrive in February. I'm hoping the LS2's kick the crap out of the Chorus II's for rock music, we shall see...

I'm sure the La Scalas will be great. I feel a little different than alot of folks here. There are alot of Klipsch speakers that can really rock. But I feel if you want it slamming your chest with an all out assault in the home environment you want power and some warmth. Power to push the woofers into orbit and warmth to hide all the flaws in all of the hideous rock recordings. You want to be able to crank the volume and hold it all together as good as possible. Its impossible not to smear the soundstage at those volumes but if you are really rocking out you dont care. Alot of the equipment out there is either going to make your ears bleed with Klipsch or just not have enough power to control the woofers. I will tell ya if I was into jazz or any other style of music all of the gear I now own would be in the trash.

Goodluck. Some folks like rock and some folks "LIKE TO ROCK"

Oh and Congrats on the new La Scalas!!!!!!

PS. If you want that nightclub sound in your home you might have to buy a Klub amp!

Thanks Stormin! One thing I've done over the years is to replace almost my entire rock collection with audiophile gold-plated and 80's and 90's Japanese-made CDs. The sound quality of these audiophile CDs makes is so much better than the mass-produced harsh, piercing American-pressed versions, but these are pretty pricey. One nice thing about audiophile discs is if you take care of them you can play them often and they keep increasing in value. Back in the 90's I purchased many of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs gold-plated discs for $25 each. Many of them are selling used in mint condition for 2 to 6 times their original cost new. How many audiophile items, or any consumer items can you use as often as you like, and they keep going up in value? If anybody is interested in these, just search eBay for your favorite titles and add the search word GOLD or JAPAN. Some of my favorites are Japan gold Deep Purple Machine Head, German gold Led Zep I, II and IV, Pink Floyd Japan Enternity Gold Dark Side of the Moon, Sony Japan gold Wish You Were Here and SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather and Chicago CTA. All of these titles are rare, long out of print and getting real expensive, but they're some of my favorites, they sound superb, and keep increasing in value.