Crossover Settings Help ( Klipsch Speakers + Harman Kardon Receiver )

QUiKSR20

Hey guys,

Havent posted in a while, I recently moved to a new condo with an ideal layout for my home theater. Eventually I plan
to upgrade but for now I want to tune this baby the best I can. I have just recently set all my speakers to exact locations
Dolby recomends and now I want to fine tune my calibration.

I plan on runninng through an auto calibration with the receiver this week and then tune the levels after it tunes my delays/distances.

If anyone has any knowledge with Harman Kardon Receivers preferably one simular to my AVR430 that would be great.

Heres the screen Im greeted with. I want to set my speakers to the proper levels and also my sub. I am going to set my sub to its
highest setting ( I dont have a disable for the internal x-over ) and let my receiver do the Bass Management. Im just a little confused.

osd.jpg

With this screen theres no way to set my sub unless it just automatically picks the slack up under the lowest hz on all speakers? If anyone
can explain that would be great. I was looking for like a Sub = xx Hz Section but I dont see it. I also dont understand what LFE : Left/Right means?
I know LFE has to do with sounds sent to the sub but the Left/Right can be changed to center, or surrounds etc. I feel i need to understand it before
I just go making random settings.

The speakers I have are :

Mains - Klipsch SB3
Center - Klipsch SC1
Rears - Klipsch Quintetts ( replacing eventually )
Sub - Klipsch KSW12 ( svs soon )

Receiver - Harman Kardon - AVR430

Below is a picture of the room and layout =) If anyone has any advice or help I would greatly apreciate it.

If your wondering about OLD and NEW those are my sub locations. It use to be in the corner. ( caused too many complaints form neighbors )
lay.jpg

lv1.jpg

lv2.jpg

Considering what you are running for speakers, I would recommend going into the size menu and setting everything for small, and running the EZSet EQ, until you get your speakers more unified, and possibly something bigger for the front. My HK AVR 645 has the same EQing and setup as yours, and to be honest, I just left it alone and it sounds awesome. Granted with running RF-35's and an RC-62 along with RS-42's along with a Sub-12 - I have a bit wider range to deal with.

I have the sub's crossover (on the sub, not in the receiver) set at 80, but with a steep, 24db rolloff - I think you would notice a pretty significant hole in your lower mid-bass region, so you may want to run it a bit higher. I don't know exactly how or at what freq the HK crosses the sub channel at, but all you can do is try it both ways and see which your ears prefer.

BTW - nice lamps - looks like I have almost the same ones :)

Posted Image

Nice layout QUiKSR20.

I'm not sure, but I would think that "LFE: left+right" would send the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) to the front speakers, a setting used by those without a sub. Since you have one (presumably connected via RCA connections to the sub-output of your receiver), you should find a setting that lokks something like "LFE: sub". Does that exist?

Otherwise I'd have to download and read your manual.

srobak, are those surround speakers on top of your mains?

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

srobak,

Nice setup, what are those front top speakers used for? for now I set everything to small in the receiver and left them at 100HZ Im going to have to play around with the sub.

Nice layout QUiKSR20.

I'm not sure, but I would think that "LFE: left+right" would send the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) to the front speakers, a setting used by those without a sub. Since you have one (presumably connected via RCA connections to the sub-output of your receiver), you should find a setting that lokks something like "LFE: sub". Does that exist?

Otherwise I'd have to download and read your manual.

PSG ,

Where it says LFE : Left/Right I get the following options ( options are only avail. when in x-over mode )

Left / Right , Center, Surround, Surr Back ( each click changes it to each diff one )

When its going by Small/Large its just set to SUB : SUB ( no options to change )

Heres a copy of my manual if you have a second to take a quick look.

https://www.hci-services.com//tech_doc/documents/harman%20kardon/Home/Electronics/AVR/AVR%20430/Owner%27s%20Manual/AVR430%20English.pdf

Thanks again guys,
Daryl

I have a 7200 in my BR. I set mine to independent for bass mgr. Dr Who once told me to set the xover appx 20 over the low end of your spkr because there is a rolloff not a brickwall. However, his explanation was much more succinct than mine. I suggest you pick up a spl meter for calibration because I don't trust auto findings.

nice condo.

I have a 7200 in my BR. I set mine to independent for bass mgr. Dr Who once told me to set the xover appx 20 over the low end of your spkr because there is a rolloff not a brickwall. However, his explanation was much more succinct than mine. I suggest you pick up a spl meter for calibration because I don't trust auto findings.

nice condo.

Thanks, My remote has an SPL Meter with digital readout I can activate but im wondering if its not as accurate as a Radio Shack one.

Yes, that is a Toshiba HD-A2 on the top left, playing The Eagles HD-DVD. Looks absolutely stunning in 1080... You will in enjoy it a lot, and you will also notice a couple of post-production snafus :)

The "top front speakers" are my surrounds actually... in that photo, I had just received them a couple days before and had not done the wire runs yet. I was also running them as mains and break them in for a bit.

My remote has an SPL Meter with digital readout I can activate but im wondering if its not as accurate as a Radio Shack one.

Mine has ez-set but everyone screams get rat shack spl so I did. The 7200 was flagship 3 yrs ago but maybe they've changed.

Cool, I will have to check out my local radio shack. Did you notice much of a difference in readings of the rat shacker vs EZ Set

I don't remember. I like having the rat around so I can check level while cranking volume...don't want to get out of hand for my ears sake.

• 2 months later...