La Scala K-77 problem!

Sky Hits

Hi all, I haven't posted in a long time because I've been enjoying my speakers without problem. Except for one thing: One of my K-77 tweeters has been turning on and off since I brought the La Scalas home last summer. Sometimes jiggling the wire made a difference but sometimes not. Most often if would just come back on on it's own inexplicably. Well, assusming it was a simple re-soldering issue, I finally decided to do something about it last night and reached back there and took the K-77 out of the cabinet to inspect it. The first thing I noticed is that the solder bonds on both elements seem totally solid. No problem there. My friend (who was going to do the soldering with me) decided to open up the metal cap over the diaphragm to see if we could spot anything else. Once opened, we were really out of our league, it seems as though one of the copper-looking contacts is a lot longer than the other, and it's possible that the short one wasn't touching properly. But not really knowing what to look for we decided to put everything back in it's place. Now, though, the sound of that K-77 hasn't come back on. And I'm ready to do what I need to.

My question(s): Is there someone on or off the boards who repair old K-77s? Does mine sound like it can be repaired?

If not, should I go to Klipsch and replace both of my K-77s?

Thanks in advance!

Seth

Klipsch sells replacement diaphragms.

The replacements screw on as an assembly so you won't have to solder.

The intermittent issue was due to the fine hair like wire losing contact with the terminal from the inside.

You can replace the diaphram yourself or send them to BEC (Bob Crites) here on the forum and her can replace and test it for you. If you do one I would do the other as well so performance is consistent. Another option is to purchase Bob's drop in replacements that will extend the range to a true 20Khz instead of the 12.5K - 17.5K that the alnico version K-77 is capable of. Bob has the diaphrams as well.

You could also call 1-800-Klipsch and ask for the Parts dept and get a replacement diaphram there as well. Your call.

You have been provided good advice above. It appears as though you are perfectly happy with the sound of the K77s, when functioning properly.

Just for posterity sake, you should also be aware of another option. Bob Crites also manufacturers new tweeters, CT 125, that use Eminence drivers and are a drop in replacement for the K77s. To many of us in the forum, they provide a substantial upgrade in sound quality (symbols actually sound like symbols) at a relatively modest investment of $150 per pair. In the interest of full disclosure, however, there have been a few people on the forum who have preferred the K77s to Bob's new tweeters - although overall, the vast majority of those who have tried Bob's tweeters consider them an improvement.

Feel free to research the forum regarding Bob's tweeters, especially in the updates and mods section, and you will find plenty of opinions on them.

Again, you may be perfectly happy simply bringing one K77 back up to snuff and calling it good. But, its nice to have options.................

Carl.

I have an extra K-77 that I picked up from my local Klipsch dealer as a spare, but I've never needed it.  Your welcome to it if you want. I think I paid $50 for it and it is the M version.  

Thats a super deal.

Is it? Not sure if the "M" matches mine. Mine are cylindrical, does that give an indication?

then you have the alinco version which would not be a match.