I need a 3 wire AM loop antenna

tigerwoodKhorns

Until you find one, and any one will do, just take a long piece of bare copper wire and run it from one terminal to the wall or cieling across and back. It will likely work better than the ones supplied anyway due to the long nature of AM wavelengths. I used such a classic AM antenna back as a teenager and dx'd all over the world with it.

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/antennas.html

Check out the above and scroll down the the "AM Band Antennas" for some very easy, simple methods.

What do you think of your XR55? I've one I use as an "everyday" amp and am rarely moved to wear the tubes on my ST-70...

Dave

Mallette,

The Panasonic antenna has 2 wires and then a third ground. I tried using a loop of wire and even took an AM antenna from a different tuner and the reception was terrible. I think that I need a 3 wire antenna, but I don't know where the third wire hooks up.

I love the Panasonic. I have an XR55 and an XR25. Great units. I actually should sell one of them if anyone is interested (but I am missing the AM antennas). Digital amps are sweet.

Chris

I am no radio engineer but I admit I can't comprehend a three wire AM antenna. Never seen one. Are you SURE one of those contacts is not for FM use?

Every antenna I've ever seen from the oldest cyrstal set to the latest and greatest is ground and hot. The only third wires involved are lightening arrestors...not really required indoors.

On you other point, how much and which one? :-).

Dave