Sony Blue Ray 1080p and a Infocus 7210 720p naitive projector

IndyKlipschFan

OK I need some answers from you Audio video 101 people... Thanks in advance.

I have been struggling with this in my mind the benefit I might see in a Playstation 3 or Sony Blue Ray DVD player to my projector because it is naitive 720p.

Daymon has said it is amazing, and looking at his combination in Wisconsin, I tend to agree with him. (He said his projector was 720p as well.) So after seeing that..... I have some questions...

1) Does Blockbuster have blue ray machines to rent out to do a "a vs b" comparison? Since Blockbuster has agreed to carry blue ray I am now swayed to take a harder look at this..

2) I have a DVI connection from my current Denon 2910 DVD player to the projector... (now) Will I get the full sound out of the Blue Ray machine with the audio output in optical or RCA ? BTW, who sends a HDMI for sound to the projector anyhow? (I know I can get a DVI to HDMI connector for about 20 dollars at best buy..)

3) How is the upload to 1080P feature of non blue ray movies? I know a lot depends on the movie itself, some movies on my Denon 2910 at 1080i are just stunning!!

4) Anyone in Indy with a blue ray DVD player or Playstation 3 machine willing to come over n see? I guess I could bribe you with a pizza dinner?

Any of you in here tried this? Your thoughts? You can read all the stats you want, but eventually you just have to see for yourself. There has to be a lot of people with 720p 1080i HDTV's that have the Playstation 3 or Sony Blue Ray DVD player. Let me know your thoughts!

...Not sure as I do not have hands on experience withe Blu_ray units...but if you Google PS3 1080p playback in 720p - you might want to stand back regarding the comments on the Blu-Ray units.

A typical response seems to be

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/20/6034

" PS3 having issues with Blu-ray playback in 720p"

Perhaps this and the other articles can provide a bit of assistance, or at least provide a bit of info to enable you to ask more questions of those with more hands on experience with this configuration.

Good luck...

Edit:

I was curious to try to see what some of the concerns were, and one aspect that might effect someone with an older 1080i set that does not support 720p should be noted:

.http://www.qj.net/TVs-without-720p-downscale-PS3-games/pg/49/aid/73011

TVs without 720p downscale PS3 game

Posted Nov 15, 2006 13

More intriguing news from the PlayStation front. Testing on Sony's console by the folks at IGN has revealed that if your TV doesn't support 720p visuals, then 720p PS3 games will run on your TV with downscaled resolution.

If
your TV isn't that new, you'll probably experience this trouble. HD
sets that support 480p, 480i and 1080i will downscale 720p games when
they're booted. This means that if any game meant for 720p doesn't get
bumped to 1080i, but instead becomes viewable in the modest 480 fashion.

IGN
confirms this through repeated testing on a 1080i television lacking
720p support. The test was based on different games that are made for
720p but not for 1080i: Need for Speed: Carbon, NHL 2K7, Resistance: Fall of Man and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07. Each attempt led to the downscaling of the resolution, unfortunately.

Conversely, Microsoft's
Xbox 360 unit upscales 720p to 1080i so long as the television supports
the said format as the console itself does not support 720p.

"2) I have a DVI connection from my current Denone 2910 DVD player to the projector... (now) Will I get the full sound out of the Blue Ray machine with the audio output in optical or RCA ?"

No, you need equipment that can either accept audio over HDMI or use the 6 channel analog outputs of the players to hear the new formats in full quality. . You can't get the high resolution multichannel audio soundtracks over S/PDIF in full resolution.

"3) How is the upload to 1080P feature of non blue ray movies? I know a lot depends on the movie itself, some movies on my Denon 2910 at 1080i are just stunning!!"

Because you have a 720p projector you should scale to 720p in the projector or the player. Going to 1080i/p in the player first means you end up scaling twice... your projector just takes the 1080i and turns it back into 720p. You should scale once for best picture quality.

Even on a 720p projector BluRay/HD-DVD is noticeably better then standard def. DVD. More detail, less compression artifacts, less noise...etc..etc.

Shawn

First off thanks, both of you..

"No, you need equipment that can either accept audio over HDMI or use
the 6 channel analog outputs of the players to hear the new formats in
full quality. . You can't get the high resolution multichannel audio
soundtracks over S/PDIF in full resolution."

WELL..... This pretty well sums up why I am not interested at this time, I have the Sunfire Theater Grand IV, so no HDMI at this time.

"Because you have a 720p projector you should scale to 720p in the
projector or the player. Going to 1080i/p in the player first means you
end up scaling twice... your projector just takes the 1080i and turns
it back into 720p. You should scale once for best picture quality."

You know I go back n forth Shawn. I agree with you on paper, and it does make sense... but it seems just a tadd better at 1080i. Hard to explain why but it does. I have gone back n forth 720p from comcast / 1080i on comcast several times to my 720 projector. The truth is... I am pretty much happy with both.... but feel for some reason 1080i is better. Some of the HD programming on Comcast which I have the box set at 1080i as well, is just "Stunning." Crazy thing is, when this digital revolution for local and national HDTV comes in 2009 720p / 1080i is all the best of the best will be. (there is no 1080p for program TV at this time...NOR PLANS FOR IT EITHER!)

The Upgrade to 720p / 1080i on the Denon 7210 does a good job too.

I respect you, Shawn, and Mas on here as well as some others. I would love for you to see and hear (share) my set up as well as hear yours. We all learn a lot from one another on here, I know I have.

Maybe I just saved 399+$$$ for Christmas.. Now, what else should I buy or need? hehehehehe

"WELL..... This pretty well sums up why I am not interested at this time, I have the Sunfire Theater Grand IV, so no HDMI at this time. "

Your Sunfire has an 8 channel analog input which you can use to hear the high resolution multi-channel soundtracks if the player has multichannel analog outputs. Some do, some don't. You can use the SPDIF output on the players too but that isn't the same thing as getting the lossless soundtracks over HDMI or analog.

"Hard to explain why but it does. I have gone back n forth 720p from comcast / 1080i on comcast several times to my 720 projector. The truth is... I am pretty much happy with both.... but feel for some reason 1080i is better. Some of the HD programming on Comcast which I have the box set at 1080i as well, is just "Stunning." "

That is a different comparison. What format is comcast broadcasting in? 1080i or 720p? If they are sending 1080i and 1080i looks better to the projector then sending 720p that means the scaling in your projector is better then what is in your cable box. Which wouldn't be surprising.

That is not the same thing as taking SD DVD at 480i, possibly deinterlacing to 480p scaling to 1080p then reinterlacing it to 1080i to send to the projector, deinterlacing 1080i (probably with just bob/weave in the projector) then scaling back to 720p.

"(there is no 1080p for program TV at this time...NOR PLANS FOR IT EITHER!)"

Film material can be broadcast in 1080i and using inverse telecine get back to 1080p with no deinterlacing errors.

Shawn

...Not sure as I do not have hands on experience withe Blu_ray units...but if you Google PS3 1080p playback in 720p - you might want to stand back regarding the comments on the Blu-Ray units.

A typical response seems to be

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/20/6034

" PS3 having issues with Blu-ray playback in 720p"

Perhaps this and the other articles can provide a bit of assistance, or at least provide a bit of info to enable you to ask more questions of those with more hands on experience with this configuration.

Good luck...

I use my PS3 for BluRay 720p playback into my Panasonic AE700u PJ with no problems whatsoever. The PS3 also does a great job scaling regular DVD's to 720p.

OK I need some answers from you Audio video 101 people... Thanks in advance.

I have been struggling with this in my mind the benefit I might see in a Playstation 3 or Sony Blue Ray DVD player to my projector because it is naitive 720p.

Daymon has said it is amazing, and looking at his combination in Wisconsin, I tend to agree with him. (He said his projector was 720p as well.) So after seeing that..... I have some questions...

1) Does Blockbuster have blue ray machines to rent out to do a "a vs b" comparison? Since Blockbuster has agreed to carry blue ray I am now swayed to take a harder look at this..

2) I have a DVI connection from my current Denon 2910 DVD player to the projector... (now) Will I get the full sound out of the Blue Ray machine with the audio output in optical or RCA ? BTW, who sends a HDMI for sound to the projector anyhow? (I know I can get a DVI to HDMI connector for about 20 dollars at best buy..)

3) How is the upload to 1080P feature of non blue ray movies? I know a lot depends on the movie itself, some movies on my Denon 2910 at 1080i are just stunning!!

4) Anyone in Indy with a blue ray DVD player or Playstation 3 machine willing to come over n see? I guess I could bribe you with a pizza dinner?

Any of you in here tried this? Your thoughts? You can read all the stats you want, but eventually you just have to see for yourself. There has to be a lot of people with 720p 1080i HDTV's that have the Playstation 3 or Sony Blue Ray DVD player. Let me know your thoughts!

Indy, is your interest in Blu-Ray based on the availability of titles and/or others' personal experience with the format vs. HD-DVD?

I'm just curious because going with a 1080p player seems like overkill with a 720p projector unless one was truly convinced that: 1) Blu-Ray is actually going to win the war; or 2) Blu-Ray would actually provide a superior picture (vs. HD-DVD) with your 720p projector.

I picked up the latest generation HD-DVD 1080i Toshiba machine for half the price of Blu-Ray ($199), and the player came with ten free HD movies. With my 720p plasma, the player does provide a better picture in 1080i mode than 720p mode with HD, which as pointed out above, should be counterintuitive. However, I know what my eyes appear to tell me. HD movies are truly stellar. Additionally, the unit is a superior upscaler to other units that I have seen with respect to regular movies, and appears cripser and clearer than an outstanding upscaler, my Zenith DVD player.

Just a thought if you are still open to the idea of HD-DVD.

Carl.

Roger,

Good article on the DVD format war currently.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/audio-video/video/dvd-players/reports/hd-how-to-choose/hd_dvd_players_choose.htm

Best choices:

Panasonic DMP-BD10A , $600
Sony BDP-S300 , $500
Toshiba HD-A2 , $260
Toshiba HD-XA2 , $660

The Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray models and the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player were all excellent for HD and 480p (though the Sony was a shade lower for video-based discs played at 480p). The Toshiba HD-A2 had excellent HD, but it's the only tested high-def model with a maximum resolution of 1080i, not 1080p. Regular DVD movies looked fine at 480p, but video-based DVDs were only fair. If you can live with that, the low price might appeal in these uncertain times.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

I have a PS-3 with my 720p Sharp projector and love it. My Denon 3805 does not have HDMI either so I used component cables and love the piture. It is an upgrade over the picture from my Denon 2910, although the Denon on SD DVD's is still pretty darn good. I am not near as technical as you guys but I have the PS 3 audio hooker up with an optical cable and the sound on movies great. The Denon 2910 does have slight edge in sound. So perfect would be the denon for sound and the PS 3 for video. But I am happy with the PS3 as it performs well and I still like to play games so for the price for me it was good inverstment.

Carl.. I think it is in the availability of titles..

My projector is stunning as is. I did the whole avia test disc / set up thing about 3-4 hours worth, after it was set up.. initially. I am serious, my neighbor has a 20K+ Runco with a very expensive Stewart Screen, and it looks like CRAP compared to mine. He even sais so. LOL

It is interesting you and I agree, the 1080i on movies and cable box High Def we seem to agree, is better than 720p. Hmm Wonder why? I could live with either to be honest, it is "just a smidge better" but it is what it is...... 1080i rules..

The Denon 2910 seems to have been a great purchase about this time last year, when I bought it. I have had no problems at all, and it seems to give upscaled to 1080i a great pic as well to the Infocus 7210.

I am always open to debate and to see what is out there. At the same time.. and I am serious here... I am really enjoying my set up as is.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I recently installed the LG HD-DVD/Blue Ray player in my HTPC and love the results. The picture is not "light years" ahead of my Denon has been producing upscaling to 720P....and my Sharp Z12000 has a native 720 chip. However, the picture is better. There are still limitations in getting HD audio to my processor since it does not have HDMI inputs...so I will have to go analog out. I have found that all titles I have watched do pass 5.1 via SPDIF, but it is not the master HD audio. My setup has always been good with the Sharp and the Dalite HP screen. For $290 I can enjoy all formats now. I hope they soon provide a way for me to get the HD audio portion to my processor.

Sorry I came late to this thread Roger...

There may at one point have been 720p playback issues, but that is incredibly old news. The PS3 does games and BD at 720p beautifully. I have used DVI/HDMI adapters in several situations for video and have been happy with the results.

No HDMI ports is why I was looking for something to do 8 channel analog in on the Stage One. I have yet to do an A/B with 1.5mb/s multichannel audio vs. super high bitrate ( like uncompressed LPCM) but I have high expectations. I'm reluctant to trade my $4,000 pre/pro for a $1600 pre/pro but I may be doing so when the Integra DTC-9.8 is no longer backordered.