Pics of my refurbished Heresy's

About 3 months ago, my girlfriend and I were doing the garage sale thing one early Sunday morning, when out the corner of my eye I saw a pair of speakers sitting in the garage with no price tag on them. I was about 50 feet away from them but asked the guy if that was a pair of Heresy's? He said they sure were. When I got up closer I realized they were beat to hell and were missing some of the veneer on the sides. I looked at the serial numbers and knew that the 3rd character "P" would put them somewhere between '75 and '78 vintage (they are from 1976).

I asked him when was the last time he used them and he said a couple of years ago but they work fine. He also told me that his brother bought them new and gave them to him 10 years later. I then asked him how much? He said he wanted $225 for them and I told him that was too much. I then left and went to the ATM machine to get some cash and came back an hour later. He laughed when he saw me, and I gave him a final offer of $150. He said he couldn't take less than $175 for them and I said "SOLD!"

When I got 'em home, I immediately hooked them up to my old Yamaha M4 amp/C4 preamp and spun a disc thru them. They sounded magnificent right off the bat! I couldn't get over how wonderful the mids and highs were. I immediately brought them into the garage and went to work on them. I wish I had taken some before pictures but wasn't thinking at the time. Smile.gif Believe me when I tell you they were on their last legs cosmetically.

I had never done any refinishing before but figured this would be a good place to start. I decided to apply Formsby's Dark Walnut stain on them so that they would match the Dark Mahogany of my bedroom furniture (that's where they will end up). I ended up applying 4 coats and had to wait 48 hours in between each coat. I sanded them down with steel wool in between each coat as well. I then applied 3 coats of Formsby's Poly Finish on them, waiting 24 hours and sanding them with steel wool between each coat. Where the veneer was missing (at the bottom of 2 sides), I just decided to stain right over it. The grilles were also beat up and boa12 sent me his left over cloth from his Cornwalls that he refinished. I was able to tear the old cloth off the backing and with the help of my sister, used a glue gun to attach the new cloth. We then glued the original logos to the grille.

They are not perfect, but they look about 1000% better than they used to (pictures are attached). These are gonna be my 2-channel setup and I hope to go the tube route with this system. Like others, I am looking at maybe an Eico HF-81 to start out with, or maybe my Yamaha amp and a good tube preamp with a very good phono stage, since I'll be moving my TT into the bedroom. Maybe later I can advance up to the AES Super amp/preamp combo, or the Moondogs, or the... you get the picture. For now, I'm just gonna have to be happy with what I got. BTW, I love these speakers!

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-04-2002 at 03:21 PM

I need to add "refinish my Heresy cabinets" to my list of things to do.

Looks great Mike

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10

Thanks, guys! Mike, they are not as big as they look but they are still too big for some people. I am in a local Corvette club here in Orlando and during the holiday season, went to three parties at 3 other members homes. Every one of them had the Bose Acoustimas system in their family room. I never said anything but I'm sure if they came to my house, they all would say "what are those big, ugly boxes doing in the living room?" Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike, Did you catch the link about Bose that

justin posted?

Print it out, and pass on to your freinds.

I'm going too.

One particular contracting foreman of mine, is

going to be reading this article.

(He LOVES his Blows.)

We work groundskeeping on a AFB, and he's Ex Air-Force.

Read up on what Bose did to the Air Force.

It's sad.

I wonder how the Heresys do on valves?

I'll bet it would be sweet.cwm20.gif