RF83 vs RF63

ginosony

Hi there, i'm new to this forum, i want to upgrade my system, right now i use RF35 with RC35, surround are RS25 not the 35 but anyway it sounds good. I want to buy the RF83 but i wonder if my Denon AVR-4306 will drive them good, i've read the specs of the 83 and i don't know. Maybte the 63 will fit better with my Denon. I don't want to change my AVR yet i just bought it 9 months ago. I will buy the RC64 for sure. For the surrounds, if i keep my rs25 right now i think it will be good for a while what do you think??

And i'm in Montreal area in Quebec, one hour of drive from Montreal, do you know where's the cheapest store around here, cause i've seen the RF83 at 3500$ no kidding at one place and at the other place 2500$, the rc64 at 1000$, is that good prices in cdn dollars???

Thanks a lot in advance, i hope i can go with the r83 with this avr :)

I would go with the RF-83's because they are made here in the US and you will see an increase in performance over your current RF-35's, the RF-63 would only be a lateral move with no real gain's over your current RF-35's. Even more so if you plan on using the RC-64 center.

If you travel to NY Alpha Stereo is in Plattsburgh, NY and carries Klipsch. The Superstore in Williston, VT also carries Klipsch if you cannot find a good deal in your area. See what kind of deal they would offer you if willing to travel to get them. The Canadian dollar is strong right now so your money will go farther.

Thanks to both of you, i will buy the rf83 and the RC64, since my denon 4306 will drive them ok, i was not sure since they are 250 watts speakers and my receiver a 130w par channel. I called one place u told me Frzninvt and it's 500$ us. dollars less expensive than Montreal, i'm not used to this but if i go there to buy, i will pay taxes at customs, nothing more???

Ginosony,

Good Question. I believe you will have to pay whatever the state tax is + your Customs fees..............so the question you have to ask is:

1. Travel costs ?

2. Taxes at the store 7.80%= MSRP 2498.00- 20% Discount 499.60 x 7.80% =2,198.00 USD

3. Customs Taxes...................?

Are these going to be less than the 500 extra in savings when you add them up? Hope this makes sense.

The Rf-63 would be an Improvement over your Rf-35 by a good margin. If you were to get say the RF-82 the margin would be smaller if none at all. Your room size should be a factor in what speaker you choose. If you have lots of room and I mean lots get the 83's. If you have an average to large size room I would try the 63's.

I have a demo pair of 63's that I am testing out and they are plenty for my room (22'x13'). I am impressed with the sound quality of the 63's. I had a pair of Revel f32's hear for a week that I was thinking of buying, But I think the Klipsch sound just as good in my room. The Revel go for 4 grand. If you can take a pair home to demo for a few days I would try before you buy. The big speakers may not sound as good in your room. I have K-horns and they do not sound near as good as I have heard them in a larger room.

Good luck.

I would go with the RF-83's because they are made here in the US and you will see an increase in performance over your current RF-35's, the RF-63 would only be a lateral move with no real gain's over your current RF-35's. Even more so if you plan on using the RC-64 center.

So are the rf-63... They are made in hope too. All real wood veneer speakers are made in hope.
The rf-63 are more like the rf-5 so it is an improvement. Both rf83 and 63 use the same horn and driver

If you travel to NY Alpha Stereo is in Plattsburgh, NY and carries Klipsch. The Superstore in Williston, VT also carries Klipsch if you cannot find a good deal in your area. See what kind of deal they would offer you if willing to travel to get them. The Canadian dollar is strong right now so your money will go farther.

Thanks to both of you, i will buy the rf83 and the RC64, since my denon 4306 will drive them ok, i was not sure since they are 250 watts speakers and my receiver a 130w par channel. I called one place u told me Frzninvt and it's 500$ us. dollars less expensive than Montreal, i'm not used to this but if i go there to buy, i will pay taxes at customs, nothing more???

130 watts is max from the receiver
250 watts is max for the speakers

when was the last time you maxed out your car in terms of speed? I mean seriously its fine. also volume is exponential in terms of wattage. most likely since the rf-83 are soo efficent you never need it. I have a denon 3805 with 120 watts and -20 is downright loud. -10 is scary, never did reference 0.

-10 still means im about 7.5 watts for each channel as for every 3 db you need to double the wattage. So in simple terms 0 = 120 watts, - 3 = 60 watts, -6 =15 watts, -9 = 7.5 watts

The Rf-63 would be an Improvement over your Rf-35 by a good margin. If you were to get say the RF-82 the margin would be smaller if none at all. Your room size should be a factor in what speaker you choose. If you have lots of room and I mean lots get the 83's. If you have an average to large size room I would try the 63's.

I have a demo pair of 63's that I am testing out and they are plenty for my room (22'x13'). I am impressed with the sound quality of the 63's. I had a pair of Revel f32's hear for a week that I was thinking of buying, But I think the Klipsch sound just as good in my room. The Revel go for 4 grand. If you can take a pair home to demo for a few days I would try before you buy. The big speakers may not sound as good in your room. I have K-horns and they do not sound near as good as I have heard them in a larger room.

Good luck.

I get crazy room gain for my rf-83 in a 12X13' dorm room!

Good luck.

Price is not a factor in my question, it was my denon after reading the specs i was not sure of. I got the answer to my question now thanks guys. My dedicated room is 21' x 12', i will add room treatment at first reflections, i'm working on it. I can't believe the 83 would not play good in my room, the rf35 are already great.

-10 still means im about 7.5 watts for each channel as for every 3 db you need to double the wattage. So in simple terms 0 = 120 watts, - 3 = 60 watts, -6 =15 watts, -9 = 7.5 watts

Just making sure that I'm following... 0 = 120, -3 = 60, shouldn't it be -6 = 30 watts??? then -9 = 15watts???

Its interesting, and I never thought of that somewhat simple concept.

Thanks

Hi Gino and welcome!! I am also from Montreal (DDO) and recently purchased RF83's RC-64 and only last week my RS-62's .I can't say enough about the RF-83's!! What is there to say really?? I purchased mine at Dumoulin in Pointe Claire and paid $2900. The nice thing about Dumoulin is they will finance them for up to 24 months with no interest. You just have to pay the taxes. Call Paul at 514-428-1616 and tell him Terry sennt you. He will take good care of you. If ever you wanna hear the RF83's live , let me know. I will be glad to show them off to you!!!!

Regards

Terry

That's a tough call...normally I always recommend running the mains as small for movies, but that PW2200 isn't gonna be able to keep up with the RF-83's.

Hi,what do you suggest?? Changing my sub? or running the main as large?

Well i received them yesterday, how long does it take before they are playing at their best??? You are maybe right cause right now i found the bass is not as good as with my rf35, anyone know why???

In home theater use, bass is good, in 2ch it's curious, seem to lack some bass.

Someone know if the outlaw monoblock http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html is working good with klipsch speakers cause i'm thinking, maybe i can buy 3 to run with my 2 towers and my center?

I think my the break in period is done, sound is fantastic. Bass is GOOD. I just watched Live free or die hard in dts with my ps3, pcm via hdmi, best audio track yet in hd movies, bluray or hddvd included(i have a hd-xa2 player)

However it still sound different in 2 channels,not sure why but not as good as my rf35 bizarre.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier...I lost track of the thread.

Hi,what do you suggest?? Changing my sub? or running the main as large?

"Yes" [:o] either would be valid things to experiment with.

The bass difference might also be caused by two other things. The RF-83's have a deeper cabinet so it's likely that they're loading the room differently than your RF-35's. Also, it's not uncommon for a little bass hump to be built into the speakers (makes em sound more full)...since the RF-35's don't dig as low as the RF-83's, that bass hump (if it exists) would be at a higher frequency and thus triggered more often with the music.

You might be surprised by how much the room influences the bass, just try walking around the room with bass heavy material playing - notice how it changes, especially in the corners. You can try moving the listening position and speaker positions around, and see if you can't dial in the bass more to your liking.

The Outlaw amps seem to get great reviews from others on the forum. I would highly recommend the approach. It's quite possible that your current receiver doesn't like driving the harder load the RF-83 presents (3 woofers versus just 2).