Help me understand watts delivered vs. volume nob position

Kain

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 8500 (the US version was called AVR 8000) which delivers 110 watts/channel in 5 channel modes and 125 watts/channel in stereo mode. The volume nob goes all the way to +18. I have calibrated my speakers as follows: left main -1, center 0, right main -2, and both surrounds at 0.

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate how many watts are being delivered in accordance to the postition of the volume nob. When listening to audio CDs, at -15 on the volume I am over 95 dB. I want to know how many watts are going through.

Thanks

"I would like to know if there is a way to calculate how many
watts are being delivered in accordance to the postition of the volume
nob. "

No...since the watts delivered can vary depending if the speakers are 4, 8 ohms or anything in between.

Also, changes to input levels from different sources does not automatically re-calibrate the volume nob indicators .

The amplifier steps up the voltage of the signal going into its inputs by a factor that varies with the position of the volume knob. However, if that signal is low, like from a turntable cartridge, the amp has less power to work with and its output will be lower. CD players put out more power than cartridges, so the amp can produce a louder sound at the same volume setting when it's receiving a signal from a CD player.

To produce the power specifications of amps, a signal of standard power is supplied to the amp. If your input sources supply more or less than the "standard" amount of power to the amp, the amp will put out more or less power in proportion.

As well, the power will go up and down with the level of the music that's being played, as you have probably seen on VU meters on tape decks.

The impedance of the speakers connected to the amp also affects its power output, plus it can vary at different frequencies, so it's not like power ratings are a really hard and fast measurement, like weight or temperature.

I am old school.. I liked it better when the number thing was used 1 - 10. 1 was barely on and 10 was max.. Of course, some wanted it to go to 11 too hahahahahahahahaha.

I understand the newer negative thing till 0 and not quite sure what + 1 - + 5 might really be . (good or bad) There is no way with 200 watts, I could handle it with K horns or La Scala's...LOL

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate how many watts are being delivered in accordance to the postition of the volume nob. When listening to audio CDs, at -15 on the volume I am over 95 dB. I want to know how many watts are going through.

Short answer = no you can't.

Might I ask why you want to know the power output? Just academic curiousity?

My new surge protector tells me the current usage. The lights are .5A, 1, 2, 4, 8, 12.

With the sub off, the only way I can get the 1A light to flash is to be very loud.

(P=IV)

Watts=(from .5-1)(120)

Denon is putting out 100W on the peaks.

When I had my projector and subs hooked up, I could flash the 12A light...............