Home Theater Shacks Subwoofer Tests Round 5 Results

masterxela

Sub worthy for God you say,there are a few ...

JL Audio Gotham is one,looks to kill,built quality to die for,custom amp to blow anything else(besides the Krell MRS out of the water) and two "compact" drivers capable of moving mucho air. Trust me this one is the total package,not just a big MDF box with some BASHY ampie. All aspects of design from cosmetics to parts to drivers are top shelf. ANd price...almost justified !

The BMW M6 of subs. Class to behoild,I saw and heard one and I it eats me to buy one, who knows ...maybe I will crack in 2008 ?

Now to the undisputed driver champ O the world the TC Sounds(Sonic Pulse) LMS-5400 18" titan...WOWWEEEEEEEE This driver even in a small sealed packs a MONSTAH WHOMP ! Woha dude,like dude. Time for a quad sealed sub. Dude like dude....

No wonder even my dual TC Sounds TC-3000 15" stomps the living foam out of the Fathom f113 ! Dude like dude. Excuse the excitement.It takes more like two Fathoms to match the dually TC Sounds TC-3000 15" ! Quite a showcase of brute force,and slam to knock your wig into orbit ! Dude

No no no Jay,just a woofer here,the SUB WOOFER is a finished product(woofer,cabinet,amp,proper filters set)...he he. You have an impressive woofer sitting on some black clothing or who know what. [:P]

Now model this baby in WinISD...two three times and more...build a proper cabinet 1.5" thick MDF/baltic birch walls,braced like a tank.Apply absorbing material to the inside walls.Power with at least a bridged Crown 2KW job and voila! (filters do not forget the filters they save woofers ,yes even the mighty LMS,as it can be damaged by repeated and vicious bottoming,any driver can).

Sonic Pulse better stay around,because I have to get these babies. Too sweet,a dream driver from hell.The new ones have blue powder coated frames...damn.The sexy red is gone.

first its audio pulse, but you knew that already

second it is a subwoofer, not a woofer. How dare you called one the baddest biggest 18 inch subwoofers a woofer?

third I have modeled probably 20-30 hours, weighed my options, called audiopulse if they have the 18 inch pr (not till the end of january because of the baskets)

fourth absorbing material inside the wall is basically negliable, but you knew that already since no production subwoofer really adds stuffing other than a minority.

fifth XTI400 bridged, maybe two because.

sixth, its on a black fleece blanket cause I didn't want to scratch the black laminate on my rsw12?, yes that is an rsw12 below it.

I have the last red one btw [:P]I could have opted for the blue but the red showed a time when it was called TCSOUNDS!

Summary, svs pb-13 ultra, tuned to 20hz, was the best (loudest) commercial sub in every category. No klipsch subs tested though

So loudest means best? What about accuracy and musicality? These subs were tested for use in a home music system, weren't they, or was it for SPL competition?

Now that I actually read a few of the tests, it looks like they were pretty thorough in making a variety of measurements. They still don't really indicate how the various units would sound in a typical listening room, integrated with a suitable sound system.

Jay,

Subwoofer is a complete device that reproduces LF,a lone driver with no box or/and amp is not much of a sub. [:P]

For this unit you need dual opposed PR's to have an optimal package. One PR will limit LF output down very deep.Plus the PR's moving piston nbeeds to be loaded and when you have a considerable mass moving opposed,you cancel the forces,the active driver moving assembly weighs less than a loaded PR's moving mass.

Islander,

The tests show more than just max SPL,you have graphs that show distortion at a given output and COMPRESSION. Very important factors in sound quality. The DIY TC Sounds,JL Audio,SVS Ultra and the DIY 15 incherfrom Creative Soundclearly best the other subs...by a longshot. It is a massacre,the only commercial subs worthy are JL and SVS,to these very very high standards.Even Velodyne would collapse,the JL f113 bests a bigger Velo DD18 in output down deep and matches the Velo in sound quality! Talk about taking the very compact sealed sub near its current limits.

Jay,

Subwoofer is a complete device that reproduces LF,a lone driver with no box or/and amp is not much of a sub. Stick out tongue

For this unit you need dual opposed PR's to have an optimal package. One PR will limit LF output down very deep.Plus the PR's moving piston nbeeds to be loaded and when you have a considerable mass moving opposed,you cancel the forces,the active driver moving assembly weighs less than a loaded PR's moving mass.

third
I have modeled probably 20-30 hours, weighed my options, called
audiopulse if they have the 18 inch pr (not till the end of january
because of the baskets)

it would be naturally a pair too.