hdmi sound?

InVeNtOr

alright i have to ask this question...

from what i understand, the blue ray/ hd players have better quality and sound. this is due to the disks being 25gb instead of 4.72 gb. so that means the video and audio are uncompressed. now to be able to SEE the difference you need an 1080p tv (or projector), 1080p player, and a HDMI cable. now the question is since there is only ONE hdmi slot on the 1080p players and that one goes to your tv, how do you get the 1080p sound? will the orange coax or optical cable be able to give you the same sound? do you have to use 2 hdmi cables (one from the player to processor, and then the processor to the tv)?

HDMI is DVI video (think computer) plus digital sound. Most current receivers process sound over HDMI, there are a few that do not however, so choose carefully.

Although most decks also have digital coax and optical out as well.

Receivers that have an HDMI input will generally have an HDMI output so that the video can pass through the receiver to the TV. The receiver will handle the audio portion.

The sound formats available through Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and their HDMI outputs are not the same that are available through the coaxial or optical outputs.

Also, there isn't anything called '1080p sound' like you mentioned.

Many receivers with HDMI inputs only have the ability to route the video and they did not process the audio over that connection - depends on the vintage of the receiver so you'd want to be sure if you're looking at anything but a current-model receiver.

The majority of players pass the new HD audio formats over HDMI in one of various methods for your receiver to process.

on that last note....does anyone know a good processor that has hdmi? i am an outlaw guy but right now they don't have anything with hdmi. can anyone give me a starting point to look at. i have been to frys and best buy and some of their stuff has it but i want seperates.

alright, so to get the upgraded
(uncompressed) sound that comes from the blue ra/ hd players, you need
two hdmi cables and route them through the processor. okay, simple
enough....thanks

That is correct. If you use optical for your audio you will have the HD signal downgraded to DTS track as optical doesn't have the bandwith for the larger audio files.

If outlaw hasn't announced anything with HDMI at last CES I think it may be safe to bet that HDMI will be standard in most AV products as of this coming year so pay attention to the 08 show. Good luck and have fun!

There are very few separates that handle the latest HDMI standard (1.3a). The Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 is getting lots of press right now, and it's about $1500 and hard to find. There are many who believe you don't really need 1.3 (except for some very specific circumstances), but I guess if I'm going to shell out for a dedicated pre-amp, I might as well get the latest to help future-proof it. Google that model number and you'll get plenty of info.

Some folks are using receivers as pre-amps, since receivers are way ahead of the game versus dedicated pre-amps in the features arena. Again, Onkyo has some great receivers in the 600 and 800 series. Also, Sherwood Newcastle (who builds the Outlaw 990) has some nice new receivers.

Right, the Denon AVR-2808 is a slightly less expensive option (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-2808CI-Theater-Component-Receiver/dp/B000TW20A2/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198817035&sr=8-1)

For my part it seems the S/N of the pre-outs is usually in the realm of 10db worse on these receivers than an actual pre-amp, but depending on your room and your other gear this may not be an issue for you.

Also do not discount the use of MPCM analog connections from you HD player to your processor for HD audio. Per current specs, all HD players decode the audio files at the player level, so it doesn't matter per se if your receiver can accept HD audio over HDMI. If your equppied for DVD-A and SACD then you can go HD.

Also do not discount the use of MPCM analog connections from you HD player to your processor for HD audio. Per current specs, all HD players decode the audio files at the player level, so it doesn't matter per se if your receiver can accept HD audio over HDMI. If your equppied for DVD-A and SACD then you can go HD.

Hmm, I thought MPCM was a digital-only connection? There is sometimes a challenge finding players with analog outputs to support decoding in the player and passing analog to the receiver. I do not believe any players today decode DTS-HD Master Audio - I believe they all pass that digitally to a preamp/receiver for processing. OTOH, there isn't much content out there for DTS-HD MA.

does Sherwood Newcastle build all of outlaws products?

gonk is their forum answer man. link

No, Sherwood does not build all Outlaw products - it varies across their product line. There is an FAQ on the 990 here which describes their approach to various product lines. It also pretty explicity states it is based on the Sherwood P-965.

alright, so to get the upgraded (uncompressed) sound that comes from the blue ra/ hd players, you need two hdmi cables and route them through the processor. okay, simple enough....thanks

No. Single HDMI cable from source to receiver... carries audio and video. Another from receiver to display to get pic and (optional) sound to it.