ALK Universals

AnalOg

Hi all,

I'm in search of some ALK's for my La Scala's. I'm in the process of pieceing my system back together and wish I never sold them at this point. What a difference in transient response and attack they bring to the table. If someone has a set they are interested in selling let me know.

Tom

Tom,

I am considering building them also, I would perfer to buy a set which have the Hovland as apose too the Kimber caps that now come in the kit. I could be splitting hairs here and there may not be a difference but why chance it if I can buy a set that I'm familiar with its sonic qualities.

Tom

That tweeter circuit is too hot as it is -- if I was building them for me I would use Auricaps or V-caps. I wouldn't bother with the kit, just buy the parts yourself.

Dean,

I started looking up the parts to build this and some of the components like the coils, autoformers and terminal strips I couldn't find. Is there a one shop source for all the components?

I'm not sure I understand what your refering to when you say that tweeter circuit is to hot an to use Auricaps or V-caps, are you saying to use them as a sonic preference or that will help tame the tweeter issue.

Tom

Tom

"I thought the Universal networks had attenuation for the mids and tweets? "

Almost....the cornwall versions have the tweeter and mid driver wired off the autoformer....so you could move them around to suit your taste...but the universals only has the mid driver off the autoformer so moving the taps around won't level change the tweeter..

"...the cornwall versions have the tweeter and mid driver wired off the autoformer....so you could move them around to suit your taste..."

No you can't, it's a fixed tap design. We've been down this road several times in the past, please quit telling people that.

"...the cornwall versions have the tweeter and mid driver wired off the autoformer....so you could move them around to suit your taste..."

No you can't, it's a fixed tap design. We've been down this road several times in the past, please quit telling people that.

It's fixed until you change the value of "R" for the swamping resistor.

Next time I'll say "I have " instead of "You can"

post-22082-13819354802396_thumb.gif

I don't care what you do with the resistors, it's a still a fixed tap design -- you can't adjust the attenuation on the fly like you can with the Universal which uses a floating ground.

The Cornwall ALK has two swamping resistors. There is a 5.6 in parallel with the K-55, which swamps the driver down to 4 ohms, then a reflected impedance of 16 ohms (4x/ tap 3). Another 5.6 across taps 5 and 0 to swamp back to 4 ohms. The network is a diplexer design with matching high pass and low pass sections (4 ohms). If you change one resistor, you have to change the other -- and adjust the cap and coil values. At that point you have a different network. Maybe some details on what you did exactly would be helpful, I'm always ready to learn something new.