I need help with choosing surrounds and room placement.

STUDIO 2000

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for getting me thus far. I just recently hooked up some RF-7 speakers and I am very happy with the results. I love to hear good old gritty brass coming out of these RF-7's. I am now ready to add surrounds to my HT system and need your help for achieving a theatre soundstage with surrounds.

I currently have:

2X RF-7, RC-64, SVS PB 12 Plus.

As you can see I am listening in 3.1 and wish to take advantage of 5.1

My room has a few limitations as you can see in the pic and my objective is to 1) Find the right surround speaker and 2) Get your input on Placement.

Room Layout:

Room Size = 17X13 feet

Back wall to Listening position = 5 feet

RF-7 fronts to listening position = 11 feet

Listening position height from floor = 3 feet 7 inches

Question1:

What klipsch model surrounds would work for me in this room and be a good timbre match? What type of speaker do I need in this room layout to get the best results?

Question 2:

Since I am limited with placement as you can see with a curtain on the left side of room, I cannot place a surround there . That curtain is the main entrance. What would be the best placement for surrounds in this layout?

I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

Dave

post-26449-13819354664664_thumb.jpg

Hello Dave,

I think that you have to go with the matching RS-7,http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rs-7.aspx. As far as timber match for the front RF-7's that you have. You can them place them on the wall behind you right above ear level. It might be the only way unless you mount speakers on the ceiling and tilt them down.

James

B.T.W. how does the RF-7's match up with the RC-64?

JamesV

Thanks for the information.

The RC-64 matches very well with the RF-7. I was looking for an RC_7 at one time and could not find any. I called Klipsch Tech SUpport and they told me that the RC_64 would be the best match and it is.

Looks like the back wall is the only solution as you describe. So I think room placement is taken care of.

Now I cannot seem to find a pair of RS-7's. I only see the RS-62's, but I would rather do RS-7 if its going to be a better match. Is the RS-7 also a wide dispersion type surround? I think thats what I would need for my placement situation isnt it? I am still trying to undestand the differences and want the best match.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the input. I just left an email with them.

If I cannot get hold of an RS-7, what are other alternatives? I looked on the spec sheets and it looks like the RS-62 comes close, however I do want a seamless transition from surrounds to front. I do have an RC-64 center and they match very well with RF_7 but dont know if RS-62 will be a good match.

Welcome your input.

Thanks

Dave

Is the RS-7 also a wide dispersion type surround?

Yes it is.

I think thats what I would need for my placement situation isnt it?

Yes it is. If you look at the RB series, the book shelf speakers, they are a directional speaker. The RS line fills the space behind you.

James

Hi All - Happy new year to you.

Thank you for the good information. I have decided to go with the RS-62's.

Oh Professor Thump also thanks for the thread in giving me that info on my father in law's electro-voice speakers. Much appreciated!

When I look at optimal placement these RS-62 will be mounted flat on the wall, and the very bottom of the RS 62 will be 5 feet from the floor. For those of you who are wondering about mounting it to existing drywall , if you have studs in the wall they are approx 16" from center to center. Older homes have a distance of approx 24" to 24" from center of stud to center of stud. Another way to tell where studs are is if you use a stud finder, but be careful as they are not always accurate. You can also check if there is a power outlet, and unscrew the power outlet plate and you will see the power outlet fastened to the side of the stud and you can measure from there as a starting point. If you hang it on drywall, the Molly bolts or Toggle bolts will do the job. Just make sure not to over fasten or you will rip your drywall apart. Molly bolts can usually hang up to 40 or 50 pounds and toglle bolts can hang up to 100 pounds via drywall.

Here is a link to these wall anchors for drywall applications if studs are not in optimal placement:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/Hanging_Wall_Items_2.htm

Lets talk a little about placement of RS-62 in my room:

If you look at the above photo in the first post, if I had to place some Surround RS-7 or RS-62's on the wall. What would be the optimal placement as far as how far the speakers would be from one another.(width) the room is 13 feet wide.

Do I place the surrounds closer to the side of the wall? Or.. Do I place them kinda where those black sound absorbers are on the back wall? Just want to make sure I place them correctly.

Where would you place them in this room layout?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks BillH

I managed to open the figure 3. Based on that it looks like the best position for placement on back wall is not close to the side corners, but more behind the 1st and 3rd seating position in that picture. It creates pretty much a triangle/ with listening position if you were to draw lines and is pretty much in line with the main speakers. After all these Rs-62s have a nice wide dispersion so that makes sense not to have it sit too close to a corner on the back wall but having the left and right surrounds on the back wall more towards the center and further fromt he corners of the wall, as it it will allow it to disburse a 90" area which will give me a full 180 degrees, I will also make sure to use my ears for optimal placement:)

Thanks Much!

Dave

Dave,

I think you will like the speakers on either the side or rear walls. Just keep in mind that any direct reflections may localize the sound more than you like and reverb won't sound as natural. The 45 degree angle concerns me. If you are on the back wall the LS horn pointing at the 45 will tend to reflex directly to you; vice versus if you mount on the 45 degree wall. Just add some Sonex or Auralex to the first reflection to take care of this issue.

Professor Thump

I am trying to envision what youre saying so please bare with me. I tried to put into a visual format what youre saying. Per your explanation and the red lines I drew in the pic below, am I understanding your explanation correctly?

This is where I think I will place the Rs-62's. Is there a different place you think will be better for my room situation, since the curtain on the left does not have a wall, its the opening to the room.

Here is the pic.

Thanks

Dave

post-26449-1381935481384_thumb.jpg