Has anyboody tried Audio Space?

HPower

I stopped by a local shop yesterday looking for a tube integrated to go with my "new to me" 1975 Klipschorns.
For tubes they sell Mac, VTL, Shanling, and Audio Space.
For price/performance the owner suggested Audio Space and pointed me to the either the EL34 model or
the 300B model.
Sorry, forgot the model names already.
From what I understand Audio Space is one of the older Chinese HiFi companies and maybe
a cut above some of the others?
I would love to hear from anybody that has used or had a listen to these amps.

Thanks

I can comment on the configuration. Class A pp can preserve many of the natural or neutral sound benefits of well implemented SET while adding benefits of higher power and lower output impedance. It would be helpful to know the phase splitter design. I prefer a "differential pair" over the cheaper "concertina" design .. the latter adding a significant coloration to the sound.

Another thing that is beginning to impact my purchasing decisions is, in the interest of helping out my neighbors, to consider paying a few more dollars for American made. There are many excellent US and certainly Canadian designers and builders who deserve consideration, and the additional cost. (In the loudspeaker department, Klipsch is a good example)

Leo

Yes Bill, very well priced and they look very nice when I saw them in person.

I did not listen to any of them, this dealer has nothing remotely close to a horn / Klipsch speaker.

The website refreshed my memory on names, the models the dealer suggested were:

1) Gallaxy 300: 21wpc, 300B, with remote.

2) Gallaxy 34: 16W (triode), 32W (ultralinear), EL34, with remote.

3) 300B MKII: 10wpc, 300B SET, no remote.

4) 3i: 16W (triode), 32W (ultralinear), EL34, without remote.

Hey DD,

The link that Bill posted shows the list prices and with the current US/Canadian dollars, these are very close to the

prices up here in the Toronto area.

I think the price I got quoted for the 3i (EL34: 16W (triode), 32W (ultralinear), EL34, without remote) was $1200 plus tax.

Hey OB,

Yes, I sold them to help finance the KHorns that I bought from Claude:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/97057.aspx

I would have loved to have been able to keep them along with the corner-horns but I just couldn't swing it.

They went to a loving home a few hours north of you, in the Kingston, ON area.

Good luck with your search, hopefully you will find a pair that are as nice as Doug's pair.

Tom

Hi Leo,

I do agree that it is better to buy American or Canadian when possible, especially, politically speaking.

Quality wise, I think there are cases of some real crap coming from China, but more and more
there are some nice products being manufactured in China.

There are a lot of well respected companies getting some of their stuff made in China.
Denon, Quad, Cambridge, etc, and if what I just read in another thread is true, even Klipsch.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/99238.aspx

"Mr. Dee, i can even post a pic showing "made in china" written on the back of RF 82's!"

If money was not an issue, I might go for something from:

http://www.wyetechlabs.com/index.html

Like an Opal Line Stage Preamplifier and a Topaz 211C stereo amplifier.

I am hoping some of the guys have had a closer look at the Audio Space stuff and see if
it jives with what my dealer was saying.

Hello HPower,

I ran into that thread right after my initial response on this one. So much for trying to buy local. Your comment on the subject, including the availability of quality Chinese products are well taken.

I would be interested in how Audio Space does phase splitting, because the rest of the approach can result in a very nice amp. I'll watch here to see what turns up.

Leo

• 1 year later...

Hi my name is Paul and I just joined the forum today. I also own a pair of 1975 horns and just purchased a set of audio space mono blocks. I have never owned tube amps before but have auditioned alot prior to my purchase. The model is NOVA-34 and I am very pleased by the sound quality.very comparable to others I have heard.Plus they will also give you a complete list of compatible replacement tube if you would like to tweak the sound . I paid $3500.00 Canadian from ovation audio in Aurora, Ontario. The bias set up was very easy being new to tube amps, as there is a voltage meter built right in.The only other upgrade for my horns will be new networks so if you have any info on this please let me know.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to find knowledge and anything basically. You have found the search button as you have resurrected an old thread. That's the way to go. There are tons of threads about network upgrading/updating. Her's a start: http://www.alkeng.com/

DeanG, a forum member,used to make networks as well. I don't know if he still does it, others, maybe Dean himself may have that info. Dean made networks based on the designs of Al Klappenberger, sometimes modified, sometimes he designed his own.

There are other ways to upgrade the Khorn as well, like the Bob Crites tweeter (yes another forum member). Bob makes networks as well, based on the original Klipsch design.

Good luck and stick with us, this is a nice community.

This thread also reminded me of one of our good friends we lost not long ago. Oldbuckster, cheers, I know you enjoy the band in heaven!

>This thread also reminded me of one of our good friends we lost not long ago. Oldbuckster, cheers, I know you enjoy the band in heaven!

Yep, almost choked when I read down below...

Welcome, Paul, and we'll try to avoid tear stains on this thread. TK's advice is excellent and any choice from that will be a good one.

Dave

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Ovation Audio, is where I originally saw the Audio Space gear... Mike is a great guy to deal with.

I ended up going with a Jolida JD-300B (9 wpc, SET, integrated) and have since changed to a pair of Welborne DRD 45s with

a Juicy Music Peach II pre.

The Novas look like very nice amps, is there a discernible difference in the sound when you switch between triode and ultralinear?

Timmikid, Mallette...
With this thread being over a year old, it is with much sadness as I re-read the string of posts.
OB, gone but not forgotten.

>Yes I do notice an incredible difference between triode and ultralinear. the difference being triode seems to be very warm with soft highs whereas ultralinear appears quite brillient with its highs. I am still trying to determin weather I like the 0 degree or 180 degree phase setting.I would also like to pass on that I purchased a "CLEAN POWER?" source which I was very hesitant on, I do not buy into gimmicks but felt like buying something new. I must say that after playing,taking apart and researching this product it really seems to make a difference in sound quality,however is this physcological or fact ? ...I dont know "beauty is in the ear of the beholder"!