Sacd...wow!

avman

took the plunge-expecting the best and so far not dissapointed! can't skip through 'meatloaf-bat out of hell'..incredible! also picked up:

toto IV; 'boston';'mariah cary #1 hits';'journey-escape';and the only multi-channel disc 'billy joel-the stranger'. also got a 5.1 dvd version of 'earth,wind,& fire-shining stars'-EDIT: turns out to be a 'talkumentary' DAMN!-. sacd is exceptional, not only the audio influence of the dsd (direct-stream-digital) recording process, but the revealing nature of direct input audio-bypassing all tone controls-WHEW! those horns! the guitar in 'bat out of hell'..man, i was on that chopper! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 01-07-2002 at 01:35 PM

Avman, what SACD player did you get. I just got a Sony 222ES. I have had it for about a month, so far it has been terrific. I have one Multi-Channel SACD --Erich Kunzel and Kings Singer Plays the Beatles issued by TELARC. Great sound.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

Congratulations, guys!

I too, would like to jump on that bandwagon, but I'm afraid of being "betamaxed". Besides, I still don't have my speaker set-up 5.1 ready yet. I guess you could say I'm hung up at the 4.0 level right now (2 klipschorns & 2 Infinity SM-120's).

------------------

JDMcCall

ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY WOW!!!!!

I have 47 SACDs so far (not bad in 2 months) 15 of them are surround sound:

I am putting together a full review of my experiences to date. Suffice to say the best disk of all in MC is Roger Waters Live and in the Flesh - a double album!! (Album - my god - that dates me!).

And if you like what it does to guitars go get Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood.

Of course you have to hear what SACD does for piano too - Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano, and Female vocals - Celine Dion (10 years of crap - but the voice - OMG) and Jacintha.

Then there's - stop me someone - I'll post the lot when I am ready (real soon - promise).

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Mad, you are ahead of me by a long shot. So far I have accomulated 4 disks plus the sampler that I got with the player.. 3 are 2 channel remastered, the other is a Erich Kunzel and the King Singers play the

Beatles which I highly recommend. Disks here in Oklahoma are hard to come by. Best Buy has the largest inventory, but all of them I have found are 2 channel remasters. I got the Beatles disk off of ebay.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

I have that one too - the Beatles / King Singers. It is good and certainly well recorded but I think that they slow the music down just a little too much at times.

Do you have the original's in any format to compare. I am working from memory as, other than the Red album on CD all my Beatles stuff is on vinyl and I no longer have a turntable.

Does anyone else think that the Red album sucks royaly?

Just not what I remember the sound being.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Max, the only CD I have of the Beatles is Abbey Road. I have two other Beatles recordings on vinyl. The Sergeant Peppers Album that I purchased when it was released. It is my most cherished recording. I still have a turntable. I have played the Sergeant Pepper's Album since I recently also got a new turntable. The Kunzel recording is very stylized and tailored to the Kings Singers particular style.

I wish I had a vinyl recording of the SACDs that I have acquired. But, I have to say the the CD player is very excellent. I'm amazed by the clarity of the player. I have been using my Denon 3800 as a CD player and thought it was good, but I truly believe that my Sony SACD player is much better sonically for both CDs and SACDs.

I think you may be referring to the 'White Album'. I do not recall a 'Red Album'. The Abbey Road album has 'Octopus Garden' and 'Because'.

One other thing that I have noticed with my SACD player that you may be able to help me out. I using the 6 Channel Ext on my Denon 3300. I have noticed that my subwoofer does not play with a regular CD. It plays with SACDs. I'm still adjusting it. I have had to move the crossover to 80hz. I unsure of the crossover for the player and the Denon As you have noticed I have Heresys'. If you have some suggestions I would appreciate it. Also tell me if you play regular CDs in the Ext settings do you get any bass from you sub.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

The red album is a greatest hits recent release. It is not bad but not as I remember the songs - who knows - maybe it my aging memory.

As for the sub I am afraid I cannot help you. I do not use the sub out but have connected the sub to the speaker out of the mains and therefore bypass this function.

(I seem to remember reading in my Sony manual that the sub out channel is not driven on my unit for CD playback - but I am not sure about this.)

Interestingly both the sub manufacturer (REL in my case) and Telarc recommend the sub connection via the main speaker out. This is at odds with what I thought was considered best till now.

On of the things I like about SACD disks is that they seem to come with mini manuals in the booklet. The Telarc recording of the 1812 overture contains an excellent booklet which is very enlightening. It explains the difference in surround sound setup that is ideal for movies as against music and goes to some length the explain the sub connection. you might want to play with your own setup to see if the sub connection works better in this way (via speaker output).

Also, If I have understood the booklet correctly, the Telarc recording uses the .1 output (sub channel) for the height speakers that are an optional add on to increase the surround sound experience. I think that this means it wont drive the sub directly.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Max, thanks for the response. I have to look into the speaker hookup. I will take a closer look at the booklet that came with my Telarc recording. I would really like to know more about the bass management with these machines.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

james mc-get sacd-they all play 2-channel,even if they are multi channel-that's my understanding; also, out of the 6 i got, only 1 is multi channel. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Avman, with or without the subwoofer. My subwoofer play with the sub when I my reciever is in 6 channel EXT mode. If a CD is also in the changer it will play, but the sub does not play. The only time I get the sub to respond is when the receiver is in Stereo mode. Although I have to admit the CD playing without the sub still sounds great.

I have two multi-channel SACDs. One I purchased off of ebay and the other is a sampler that came with the player.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

avman-to play sacd's on standard cd players,the discs have to be the Hybrid format,which consists of the 2 ch stereo layer. All of the Telarc releases are Hybrid.

I learned the hard way. I bought a couple from Amazon that was advertised as Hybrid. But when I got them and put them in,they wouldn't even load. I could have sent them back,but decided to keep them until I upgrade to sacd.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

boomer,

i agree that the first sacd players were priced way too high, but like almost all technology it will come down. in fact it has already. i just purchased a sony dvd/sacd/cd 5 disc changer that eliminated two other units in my rack and gave me access to the sacd technolgy for only $399....and the best news is that the sacd's sound great!!!!

Sony is really getting serious about SACD. It's my guess they do not want a repeat of the now famous Betamax vs. VHS wars that took place in the 70's -- superior technology overtaken due to high costs and poor advertising. Sony has its gunsights on DVD-A. I have yet to see or hear a DVD-A player in my market area.

Bill J.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

Hey guys, got a question. Are these the same as the DVD Audio I've been seeing at Best Buy, and do they not play right on a regular DVD player? It sounds to me like many of you have a dedicated SACD player. Am curious as I almost bought a few of them am curious if it would be a waste of money for my regular Pioneer 525 DVD.

s-pup, in short, dvd-audio (mlp) is a whole dif format than the sacd format. u have to have the respective compatiable players for each, though now there are some

dvd-audio/sacd/hdcd combo players (hdcd is a whole nother format (20 bit), but there either the player or pre/processor can have the decoder).

from what i've seen & heard, most dvd-audio disks, besides mlp, also have pcm stereo &/or DD5.1 or dts available on there. don't know if that is or is mostly

the case on sacd oR hdcd disks.

i'm still on the old 44k pcm that most regular cd use w/ my sony C650D dvdp. i'm waiting for the firewall tech to develope. i'm eyeing some of those dvd-audio disks that also have DD or dts, but i may start out gradual w/ just 48k or 96k/24 (dts) music only disks.

iow, are there any recommended higher res 2 channel dvd music (dts) or 96k/24bit (dts), which can be played on my regular dvd/cd changer w/ only a digital connection?

something the likes of pearl jam, yes, floyd, etc u guys highly recommend?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-20-2002 at 07:01 PM

Each of the formats require a dedicated player (except HDCD and hybrid SACDs which will play on a standard CD player) or a player that is capable of playing all formats. SACD are either single or dual layer. Only the hybrid SACDs have a stereo digital channel that can be played on standard CD players. When you purchase these disks you need to look at the jacket carefully. Most stores do not have SACD disks in the same section as regular CDs. I don't know about DVD-As, I have not seen the disks or players in my area yet.

------------------

Bill J.

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Sony C222ES SACD/CD

Heresy Mains

RC-3 Center Channel

KSP-S6 Rears

M&K VX-7 Sub

quote:

Originally posted by willjam:

One other thing that I have noticed with my SACD player that you may be able to help me out. I using the 6 Channel Ext on my Denon 3300. I have noticed that my subwoofer does not play with a regular CD. It plays with SACDs. ...Also tell me if you play regular CDs in the Ext settings do you get any bass from you sub.

Try going with "speaker level" sub connections, instead of line level. I had the same problem as you. The sub wouldn't kick in on regular CD's through the 6-channel input on my Yamaha-5280, unless I switched the input to "CD", and connected the 2 channel CD connection as well as the 6 channel connection.

I switched my subwoofer to speaker level (which also lets you set the crossover frequency on the Sub instead of letting your Denon decide), and the sub now kicks in all the time.

There are drawbacks to this approach. You have to tell your receiver that you don't have a sub, and to output the LFE to the mains, which means that you won't be able to adjust the level of your sub through your receiver anymore.

Hope it helps. Happy listening! I've got the cheap Sony 775 SACD player ($349), and it sounds awesome! It's like hearing the music for the first time all over again!