Bi-amp question for rf82's

jb5200

I am not an audiophile by any means but I do have some experience/knowledge with home audio. I recently purchased the Pioneer Elite vsx-94txh Receiver and the Klipsch RF82's to complete my home theatre system of 7.1. The problem is the receiver, although loaded with every feature imaginable, sucks for power for 2-channel stereo. I am coming off of a 8 year old Yamaha that would blow this pioneer out the door for 2-channel stereo. The pioneer is rated at 140 watts/ch and the yamaha was 100 w/ch and you barely touch the yammie and the music cranked but the pioneer you have to really turn it up before the power is even close and I even bi-wired the 82's. This leads me to bi-amping the receiver to try to get some more juice out of it. I want to drive the mains with an amp but after dropping loads of money I am now on a budget and want to find a good amp (used), here are the ones I am looking at:

Adcom GFA 545 MK11

Parasound HCA 800 II or HCA 1000 THX

For the money it sounds like these are solid choices as far as the reviews that I have read on them. Below is the rest of my system:

- Pioneer vsx-94txh

- Klipsch rf82

- Klipsch rw12

- Klipsh ssc1 (center)

- Klipsch ksb 3.1's and 2.1's (surrounds)

Jeff

You can go with entry level pro amps. Gobs of power for less money. Some may argue the sound quality but if you're on a budget they may suit you just fine. I use Crown XLS 802d's with my RF-7's and I'm very satisfied. Crown and QSC would be some to look at.

I have used an Adcom 545 on heritage speakers (K-Horns & Cornwalls). It sounds fine and you can get these for about $200-300 on eBay.

If you get a series 2, then the power supply caps might be bypassed (not all models). If they are not, then look up threads by DJK on the topic on how to do this (over in Audio Asylum). It is a simple $10 mod that will improve the bass. Then you will have a very good amp for the money.

Good Luck,

-Tom