Speakers placed on carpet

Pitt

I just had a 7.1 system set up yesterday with all Klipsch. In the room is berber carpeting where I have F2 front speakers and the sub 12 sitting on the carpet, the rest are a center channel and wall mounted C2's. The installer is coming back in a couple days to tweak anything I am not happy with regarding sound. I don't know if it's my imagination, but the speakers on the carpet especially the sub seem to have a slight dull sound, not that they sound bad. They do sit on the small legs, but I am wondering if there is anything missing on the set up, or would placing something under the speaker or legs help to pronounce the sound.

They do sit on the small legs, but I am wondering if there is anything missing on the set up, or would placing something under the speaker or legs help to pronounce the sound.

Maybe you need to put the speakers on spikes or tiptoes, to let them get a grip on the floor. With the bigger Heritage speakers, it's not necessary, but the smaller footprint of the F2s might allow them to be a bit wobbly on the carpet, taking some crispness out of the sound. You'd want to get them into their final locations before installing spikes, of course, so the carpet doesn't get shredded...

Here's an example of some tiptoes. They're like spikes, but not as pointy and just as effective. These ones attach with double-sided adhesive foam, so you don't have to drill into your speakers and you can easily remove them if you don't like them. The foam crushes flat in a day or so. They come with little brass pads, so you can also use them on bare floors. They're sold out at this company at the moment, but are likely available elsewhere.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=117_121&products_id=1319

And a few more, in various styles: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=117_121