What defines which Audio Formats are used in Films

germerikan

Hi everybody,

I was browsing for a couple of new films the other day and started wondering what is the determing factor for the audio format of the film??

Example: I was looking at Pirates of the Caribbean 1 - 3 and saw that films 1 and 3 are Dolby digital 5.1 and film 2 is in DTS

Anyone know how it is decided which format will be used???

Does anybody care??? Just wondering.

Ran

I prefer DTS myself as well. Since the Eagles farewell tour 1 I have been looking at the audio information on the DVD´s that I buy since that DVD sounds like a studio recording. I myself would think they would use the most "modern" format.

Could possibly be due to space on the DVD but I am not 100% sure.

Ran

So that´s 3 for DTS, I agree on the better sound.

After browsing some more I saw that the majority of the newer concert DVD´s have DTS. Has anyone seen/heard concerts in HD-DVD or BlueRay? I have only seen movies here in Germany. It would be interesting to hear a concert in Dolby HD (If I had the player for it;)

Ran

It was actually the first Pirates movie that had dts, the second and third did not. Many people, right on this forum, reported that the Dolby track actually sounded better than the dts on that particular movie.

As for why some movies include it on the DVD and some don't, I think it is a space issue, but you will also notice that some studios are more likely to include the dts track than others (Universal includes it a lot more often than Warner, for instance).

Just about all theatrical releases are mastered in both formats.

It was actually the first Pirates movie that had dts, the second and third did not. Many people, right on this forum, reported that the Dolby track actually sounded better than the dts on that particular movie.

Thats funny because in the German version the first and third are Dolby 5.1 and the second is DTS.

So that is another variable, which language is bieng used.

Ran