Outdoor Speakers--Suggestions needed!!!

DoubleJ

Hi:

I need some direction/suggestions on some Outdoor speakers for a project a friend of mine is undertaking. Obviously I suggested Klipsch, but not sure how to pull it off with the criteria listed below.

Criteria:

1. They will be installed on a Pontoon Boat. (Fresh Water boating)

2. Amplifier/Stereo source: More than likely some sort of Car Stereo

3. Power Source: 12 volt Marine grade battery.

At this time, a Power Inverter is not in the equation but will gladly entertain any suggestions or real life experiences in Marine sound.

Thank You in advance!!

JJ

I have a pair of AW650s on my back deck - incredible sound for a speaker of that size, not to mention for an outdoor speaker. They are efficient speakers, so a low power amp will work fine. I run mine sometimes using a battery-powered T-amp and a portable CDP or I-pod.

Though i believe not intended for outside use i can give a recommendation to the Realistic Minimus. I have been using these for years under the same conditions you intend. They have stood up very well are very rugged given their (aluminium?) metal cases, and have a respectable sound taking account of their small size. Not sure if RatShack still stocks them, but easily found used. Should they ever quit i'll replace them with my Klipsch Quintets.

Coincidentally, last night I was perusing various sites in search of info on outdoor speakers to use in my unheated garage for the rare occasions when I might work in it for a few hours. On the AVSForum site, I found a thread in which several posters recommended these speakers:

http://www.htd.com/outdoor-speaker/Q65-Outdoor-Speakers

They are certainly not audiophile, or even main home system grade speakers, but appear to work for those people in their outdoor applications. The price is quite good as well, and the company seems to be the friendly kind with quick shipping, 5 yr guarantee, and easy return policies.