Subwoofer Questions for TheEAR

shelbydz28

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how about the svs PB13-Ultra? thats under $2000 starting at $1399. I think it might be just a little bit bigger than the HSU VO, and from what i've read on the avs forums, this thing is suppost to be a monster.

TheEAT, how does the pb13-ultra compare to the jl f113?

Ok, that makes sense, but more to the point: I only have $2000 to spend – and the sub needs to be not larger than the HSU VTF-3 HO as mentioned. Am I hearing that the RT-12d is my best bet in this case? Again, low THD, low frequency, musical ability below 80Hz and HT wow factor are my key concerns over high dB levels. As a side note, what approxiamte dB is a 'tolerable' listening level (I’m sure tolerable listening level is another topic of discussion altogether)?

Thanks,

Doug

I am in the same situation as Doug. I am also wondering if two subs would be better then getting one, but still with a $2000 total spent.

I have the RF-83 setup in a 20x15x10 room that opens up on one side. I use it for music and movies the break down is about 50/50.

Thanks in advance.

James

With $2000 to spend two HSU VTF3 HO subs would be a great choice,or one larger Epik,like the Conquest. The Conquest beats two VTF3 HO with ease,extension,output. But it is a 200lbs unit,the HSU's are around 90lbs each,easy to move.

The SVS Ultra13,another great choice. Around 140lbs and you would need two to match the Conquest(output wise). Again take a peak on each webpage and see if the looks /weight/price ...WAF fits you.

How does an f113 compare to the SVS Ultra13, the advantage the best SVS has is OUTPUT down very deep. It is ported and the JL sealed. We all know ported equates with higher output using a similar(displacement) driver. SQ,both would be so close it would be a tough call. Built quality,the JL is the winner,no doubt.

The JL is much more compact,it is THE most potent sub per cubic foot.No competition.

With $2000 to spend two HSU VTF3 HO subs would be a great choice,or one larger Epik,like the Conquest. The Conquest beats two VTF3 HO with ease,extension,output.

The Ear,

What is the big difference between the regular and turbo model of the HSU VTF3 HO sub? Is it really worth the money since it would be two subs. Also would it be better to get the two HSU subs or two Epik Caliber subs?

I am just trying to figure all this out before I take the plunge in the subwoofer game.

James

The turbo (port extension,lowers tuning) IMO is NOT worth it. HSU makes easy dough ,as how much can ports and a small MDF box cost? In some apps they may fully be worth the expense. It is not like the Turbo option costs alot anyway.

The Turbo will enable you to get slightly higher output down very deep at the expense of a shade lesser max ouput above tuning(not seriously significant). Simple acoustics at work. I am sure Dr Hsu optimised to the max the porting,he is known for extracting the maximum out of his subs.

With $2000 to spend two HSU VTF3 HO subs would be a great choice,or one larger Epik,like the Conquest. The Conquest beats two VTF3 HO with ease,extension,output. But it is a 200lbs unit,the HSU's are around 90lbs each,easy to move.

The SVS Ultra13,another great choice. Around 140lbs and you would need two to match the Conquest(output wise). Again take a peak on each webpage and see if the looks /weight/price ...WAF fits you.

How does an f113 compare to the SVS Ultra13, the advantage the best SVS has is OUTPUT down very deep. It is ported and the JL sealed. We all know ported equates with higher output using a similar(displacement) driver. SQ,both would be so close it would be a tough call. Built quality,the JL is the winner,no doubt.

The JL is much more compact,it is THE most potent sub per cubic foot.No competition.

that doesn't sound like theear 90 pfft nothing my driver weighs 80

EAR..

Have you ever questioned the validity of Craigsubs rankings. One man seems to sure have a huge impact on peoples perception on what to buy. I have always wondered if he is working in his own self interest..... Why would somebody invest that many of thousands of dollars in subwoofers to only post a number and then sell them off later.

Without question this thread has led to fanboys of the ED, Epik, SVS, & now AV123 to many posters who will regularilly post how there sub is the best bang for the buck with no other data other than Craigs ranking thread. Everyday this thread is becoming a more and more powerful tool in steering soon to be buyers into a purchase.

Good or bad not my call...

Yes I have ,I question and evaluate any ranking system. It is no less good than Tom Nousaine's ranking. Or Ilkka at the HTS.

Craig ranks measured max outputs within(under) a given distorion limit. Then has a panel listen and compare. Max output tests cannot be his judgement,these are not opinions but FACT. His SQ ranking can be in question ...however.

I have a few subs on that list and can say I would rank them like he did. That is why I trust his chart.Nousaine chart has only output,extension..not even compression or SQ tests !

Craigsub is a wealthy member on AVS who like me will spend on many subs just to try. Heck ,I have once purchased four subs kept them a weekend and returned them. Anything wrong with that? I have had all Sunfire subs,now I only have three units left from Sunfire. I had over 50 subs pass by my house...I do not even count. I build over a dozen DIY subs...even before I joined here in 2000 ! Why...because I like this crazy hobby and I can.

I however will not run any tests pushing the subs to the limits. I have no time,need or desire to do so. In fact most around me do not even know the gear I own. Best they do not know. [:D]

So yes IMO Craig's list is good,at the very least SPL wise. Craig is not likes by those who his tests exposed a bit,since some company claims were unmasked. The High End gravitates around alot of lofty claims often not met. tests,blind A/B tests may uncover some truth.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but as you can see from my signature I finally chose a replacement for my RW-12d and could not be happier. Not exactly under the original $2000 budget, but close with street pricing. I'm now completely satisfied with my system and I don't think I'll want to upgrade for a long time - which is cheaper in the long run. Music and movies are better than ever as I'm now listening to my entire collection just to hear what's new.

It eventually came down to the SVS PB13 Ultra and the JL F113 for me - musical accuracy and physical size (WAF) were the deciding factors along with auto room correction. The subwoofer has no issue filling the air with quality sound even in my large room. Thanks to those who gave their input. Doug