Scott299a speaker connection

Lil' Brian

I've recently acquired my first tube amplifier, a Scott 299a (thanks Ken). It's been completely reworked (thanks Craig) and I'm planning on hooking it up to a pair of early 80's Heresys. So here is my question. I see on the back of the amp several posts (taps) for speaker connections: 4ohm, 8ohm, 16ohm, etc. I'm guessing the 8ohm connections are proper but I only see one tap for each speaker (I'm used to 2 connections for each speaker; + & -). Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed?

I also understand the three inputs labeled Mag1, Mag2low, and Mag2high are for the turntable.  Would Mag1 be my first choice?

Mag 2 low if you have a MM cartridge (or HOMC).  Don't use the other inputs.

Why not use the first input? On my 299 it sounds exactly like the low mag. I am using a sut with a lomc though.

I got the Heresy's and my Sony sacd player connected to the Scott a little while ago. I let it warm up for about 30 minutes and here's a few initial impressions. It's clean and very quiet compared to my 80's NAD. I think I prefer the loudness switched off with the bass slightly increased (maybe not quite to 1, hardly any). Plenty of power! It's quite comfortable listening at 1 or 1 1/2 (I don't listen at loud levels though). The bass is a very nice improvement, in fact I didn't think the Heresys could do it like this. I plugged in Chuck Berry's "Gold" first and immediately noticed Johnnie Johnson's piano more than ever before. Berry's guitar sounds different too, almost like you can hear his fingers moving across the fretboard. Maybe I'm still in the euphoria stage but I think going to like this! :-))

I don't use the loudness switch either, but I do run a sub off the centre channel on the 299-D. Now have the Scott driving the Cornwalls, can't wait for new Xovers to get here.....................

OB,

Doesn't the 299-D have a powered center channel? What kind of sub do you use? My rsw-12 (soon to be rsw-15) is used on occasion with my 299b but it is a powered sub and the 299b has an unpowered center channel. Can you use a powered sub with the 299-D? Just curious.

BTW - It seems I'm the only one who likes to use the loudness button on my Scott. Unlike more modern loudness switches, it boosts the treble and midrange as well as the bass and fades out as the volume is increased. I usually lower the tone controls though. Depends on the recording.

BTW - It seems I'm the only one who likes to use the loudness button on my Scott.  Unlike more modern loudness switches, it boosts the treble and midrange as well as the bass and fades out as the volume is increased.  I usually lower the tone controls though.  Depends on the recording.

You're not the only one, I use mine regularly. It all depends on the album, but I use it a lot.

I also understand the three inputs labeled Mag1, Mag2low, and Mag2high are for the turntable. Would Mag1 be my first choice?

Mag 2 low if you have a MM cartridge (or HOMC). Don't use the other inputs.

Why not use the first input? On my 299 it sounds exactly like the low mag. I am using a sut with a lomc though.

What's the output of your cart? I don't know the exact gain specs of the various phono inputs on the Scott but Mag2low must be approximately 40dbs and you need about 20dbs more for the average LOMC.

Anyone know where the specs can be found on-line? I tried the HH Scott website but they didn't go into enough detail and now I'm curious.

When I was using my 299B, I also used the loudness button. As Gary said, I like what it did at lower listening levels. Speaking of my 299B, I will probably be posting it over on the garage sale forum, with pics. Let me know if someone is interested.

Rob