McIntosh MAC 1900

tom b. 57

What do you guys think of Mc. receivers? Particularly the 1900. I am asking because I have an opportunity to pick one up for $300.00. I would really like to buy and then sell it for a profit. The seller also has a 1700 for sale for $25.00 less. I just don't have any experience with these and don't know if I would be able to turn it for a profit. I need to make a little money to fund another purchase, if possible. Seller says it works fine and is in good condition. What do you think?

Tom

I have the 1700. Works nice. Seems to me the MAC-1900 is more highly thought of than the 1700. $300 and $275 are terrific prices for these receivers. Expect about $120 each to bring them up to specs. Terry DeWick is the master when it comes to vintage McIntosh.

I have a MAC 1900 that I sent to Terry. Yeah, he did a great job! The 1900 is a good receiver. Not real crazy about the phono section, though. I don't know how much room for profit there is at that price.

I have one too...plenty nice but the volume/power knobs can be troublesome in their initial turn on stages (where they got the most wear) and there is no fix...even the "new" switches are near as bad...if you can get past that...nice sounding and the Tuner on mine after Meistro DeWick did his magic is fantastic...easily besting the Nakamichi tuner with digital lock I was using prior...once you factor in shipping to Terry for his magic and the repair you will be right around the going rate for these so if it is a money maker you are after...I think you should look elsewhere...your call.

Bill