Presence Channel

boom3

I have done some surfing on this, including looking through this forum, and I'm not sure I have the answer.

Yamaha has an output for Presence speakers. Is this a Yamaha only thing?

Also, what frequency range is transmitted? Could I use "just" midranges with appropraite low and high pass filters in the crossover?

TIA!

If this what I am thinking of, the presence speakers were an extra output for full range speakers in addition to the normal left and right. The only time I heard it, it didn't seem to offer any real improvements and added additional processing to the signal.

In the real world of DVD there really isn't a 7th channel, it does just add PRESENCE ....... I have never had a DVD that was 7.1 ... they may be out there somewhere, I have never seen one ........... but there again, I bought a 7.1 Receiver, and only use 5.1 ....... go figure, too much presence?

Buckster is correct. The upper LR pair that comprise the 6 and 7 of the 7.1 format are referred to as "presence" speakers in Yamaha's DSP configuration.

If one wants to experiment with these, i see no harm. But I would not expect too much as these proprietary schemas involve synthesizing signals from the base 5.1 configuration that is available on the source disk.

It is in the manual. Yamaha utilizes these extra speakers for more ambient
sounds.They DO NOT REPRESENT THE 6th and 7th channel in a 7.1 system. These speakers are placed in the front of the room. UP HIGH!. They have no DIRECT content made for them. Yamaha "makes up" the signal for them.
Page 12, 15, 30 has a diagram of where they go. They are generally used for very large rooms.
Hope this helps. I installed a few Yamaha 5990 receivers and never used them. Here is a link to the manual.

If I had to do it over again, I would not buy a 7.1 ............ 5.1 is all you need ... but I guess I do have the option to use 7.1 if I want to

I bought 7.1 but used the 2 extra channels to bi-amp my RF-7's. I try to tell folks that 5.1 is perfect unless you are doing multiple rows of seating and your area is very deep (larger than 20ft)

for years less than 5% of DVD content came from the back speakers (and that was exclusivly 5.1) so how much do they thnk comes from the extra 2 speakers now.

... The upper LR pair that
comprise the 6 and 7 of the 7.1 format are referred to as "presence"
speakers in Yamaha's DSP configuration.

... these proprietary schemas involve synthesizing signals from the base
5.1 configuration that is available on the source disk.

... Yamaha utilizes these extra speakers for more ambient
sounds.They DO NOT REPRESENT THE 6th and 7th channel in a 7.1 system. These speakers are placed in the front of the room. UP HIGH!. They have no DIRECT content made for them. Yamaha "makes up" the signal for them.

I am sure that you are attempting to make some point other than what was already mentioned as you appear to disagree so vehemenently, but I am at a loss to figure out what it is.

LOL! [*-)]

I am sure that you are attempting to make some point other than what was already mentioned as you appear to disagree so vehemenently, but I am at a loss to figure out what it is.

LOL! Confused

Only giving specific information to the original poster. (mas) you stated above

"The upper LR pair that
speakers in Yamaha's DSP configuration."

This is an incorrect statement. Read it again. if you were to have said the UPPER FRONT LR pair compirse additional "presence" speakers adding to your 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 setup. You would have made a correct statement. You do however make a clear and factual second point. [:$]

LOL! Confused

Only giving specific information to the original poster. (mas) you stated above

"The upper LR pair that
speakers in Yamaha's DSP configuration."

This is an incorrect statement. Read it again. if you were to have said the UPPER FRONT LR pair compirse additional "presence" speakers adding to your 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 setup. You would have made a correct statement. You do however make a clear and factual second point. Embarrassed

Inasmuch as the 'presence' speakers are a proprietary processing of the the 5.1 signal, they constitute something other than 6.1 or 7.1. You do NOT have 6.1 or 7.1 if you use them. Rather they take the #6 and #7 amplifier channels to drive them and you therefore lack the ability to have 6.1 or 7.1 when the presence channels are utilized..The key word is "or", as you cannot simultaneously have an "and".

You cannot have presence speakers in addition to the 6.1 or 7.1 configuration as you state, therefore your statement is incorrect. If they are actively employed, you no longer have the ability to have 6.1 or 7.1. The only way to have 6.1 or 7.1 is not to actively use them. The 2 additional amplifier channels are used to either power the 'presence' speakers or they are switched to drive 7.1.

Therefore, you can only use the presence speakers instead of 6.1 or 7.1. You have 'presence' OR you have 7.1, in a different configuration. No 'and'.

Quoting from http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avreceivers/1107yam3800/:

"You can configure a 7.1-channel setup, or you can bi-amp your front
speakers in a 5.1-channel setup. The amp also offers a hook-up for a
pair of "presence" speakers above and behind the front left and right
channels (not tested here). In conjunction with Yamaha's
proprietary
Cinema DSP 3D mode
, the presence speakers provide extra ambient effects
by supplementing the sound from the front speakers. If you wish to use
the presence speakers, you lose the rear surround channels in a
7.1-channel setup
, but both can be connected at the same time and will
be automatically switched on and off depending on the DSP mode you
choose."

Exactly what I said. The 6th and 7th amp channels are used for 'presence' or 6/7.1. There is no 'and'.

And to the degree that the 6.1 and 7.1 modes are not discrete channels. but are synthesized, one wonders why anyone uses them at all.

UPPER FRONT LR pair compirse additional "presence" speakers

What are you talking about, the 7.1 channels are to be located in the middle of the room, not up front or to the rear !! That's the way my 5890 shows them in the set-up .......

READ the manual........ i gave you the page numbers from the 5990 receiver manual. I even put up the link where you can verify them right NOW.

THEY ARE FRONT SPEAKERS!

and i will quote from page 12 in the manual.......

"Presence speakers (PR and PL) supplement the sound from the FRONT speakers with extra ambient effects produced by CINEMA DSP (see page 61) These effects include sounds that filmmakers intend to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. Place these speakers at the front of the room about 0.5-1 m (1-3ft) outside the front speakers, facing slightly inwards, and about 1.8 m (6ft) above the floor.

(note) sorround back and presence speakers do not output sound simultaneously. You can set to prioritze either set of speakers using PRIORITY parameter in the MANULA SETUP (see page 77).

I will not comment on things I am not sure about. That would be plain stupid. I have worked with over a dozen Yamaha receivers within the last 18 months. I can quote the manual back to front.

I would never charge a client money if I was not 100% sure of the advice I was giving them............

Hold on here ..... I don't use mine, I don't want to argue about it, I don't believe it's that important .... and as far as Manuals go, the dam things are so confusing, I have a very hard time understanding them, us old dinosaurs don't read well because it's so dark in our caves ....... relax ...

WOW will you marry me, my wife never thinks im right. (lol)

Just kidding.

No big deal. I have read this forum for a while now, but just decided to start posting. I hope this does not "black ball" me for future debates.

I figure if you/we are on the "KLIPSCH" site you/we all must be good people. I have used many different speakers in my time, from Martin Logan, B&W, M&K to Infinity and even some old Sony's. Out of all of these, I LOVE MY R-7's the most.

Buckster, with so much history on this thread you ought to adopt me as your JR. poster.........[:^)]

I really like how you guys look out for each other....

lamar