Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks - Jazman's amps?

Beatjunky,

What a move! Your seller really put you way down the road with his work. Your next best move now is to go to mobiles web page on the EICO HF81 with all speed. He's got links to all kinds of info you'll want to know about this wonderful unit.

mobile's page

I've located and purchased 2 new Mullard rectifier tubes and can't wait for them to arrive next week to roll into my HF81 along with some additional tube goodies. I'm enjoying this EICO. You will too. I hope it does for your 75 Khorns what it did for my 75 Belles? Make sure you listen to something on your SS equipment before connecting the EICO. Let your ears do the rest.

mobile,

Here's the reply from the seller. There's a good possibility the Moondogs will be in my home before the end of next week. Wow!

Sellers reply;

"The hum is definitely not a problem in my system using 104 dB efficient horns. I have the occasional (usually solid state owning) friend who sticks his head in my horns and then comments on the noise level of my system, but to me it is a non-issue. As I said before, To get the best sound out of the 2A3 you need to heat the filaments with AC. Unfortunately, AC=hum.

I'll just say that the level of hum is audible from 1-2 feet from the speaker but NEVER from the listening seat 6-8ft. and NEVER does it interfere with the music or the sound staging capability of the Moondog.

It reminds me of the tiny scratches and pops you hear when listening to analog - you hear right through them and just accept them as being part of a superior listening experience.

There is a small potentiometer accessible from the top of the amplifier with which you adjust for the lowest possible hum level. The pot can be adjusted while the amp is on. "

mobile, this is not a show stopper for me. I'd rather spend my $$$$ on these Moondogs than on an old pickup I was planning to purchase to do the hauling and various landscape projects here at my house.(I'll gladly continue to pay for delivery.)This is a pleasure investment. The pickup was going to mean pain.

On to the preamp seletion. The goal is to spend less than $1000. Candidates so far range from the ASL MG PRE new, at a price of $450, to used Audible Illusions M3 with phono for $950. In between those extremes are an Audio Note M1 at $600, a Melos SHA-1 with simple modifications at $425, etc. What are your preferences?

Kilpsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 01-12-2002 at 02:27 AM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edster,

You betcha' I'm going to enjoy them. I've been extremely fortunate with upgrade purchases the last few months. The EICO will move to duty of powering a pair of 1980 Cornwalls. Now I've got to go about selling at least one pair of KG4.2s, a KSP-C6, pair of KSF-S5.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 01-12-2002 at 03:24 PM

mobile,

The leading candidate for preamp is;

AUDIO NOTE M2 PREAMP $900

Asking $900.00

Condition 9/10

Included Box, Manual

Description

Original owner. Upgraded by Tubesville.com with Black Gate caps, silver Audio Note wiring (silver for CD1, copper for CD2), and Cardas RCAs. Switchable feedback, two sets of outputs for biamping. Excellent shape, onyx finish with gold knobs. Works perfectly and sounds great. Will also supply stock of tubes for the tube regulated power supply. Signal tube is a single 6sn7.

$900 plus shipping from NYC. 2 CD inputs, tape loop,aux, tuner. Many pics available.

Klipsch out.

Hold off on that preamp...

There are some other options...

kh

ps- Nevermind, I was thinking of a different preamp. I was also going to suggest looking into the Wright sound WLA12a. But the AN seems good too...if actually a better choice. Just doesnt have the open chassis! Still, I think it will be a bit hit based on the great power supply and the tube rectification.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-13-2002 at 12:01 AM

mobile,

I probably confused you by mentioning the Audio Note M1 in the previous post as being a consideration.(It was the $600 price) More homework revealed the M1's tube rectification issue. See, I do listen and learn. That's when I considered the M2 posting. This M2 with it's mods, meets many of the "yes" type of mods you have mentioned. The cover is a bit of a bummer, but it can come off. Of course the phono stage is now another piece to be completed. This is system has become the equivalent of building a custom house. Once you break ground and start framing, you can't go back to building a tract home. Just one more piece........ Check your email.

Klipsch out.

Mobile,

I sent you an Email to both of your Email addresses a few days ago. What's up... you're not talking to me anymore? Smile.gif I was basically looking for a little help in component selection. I value your opinion so any help is greatly appreciated...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-13-2002 at 02:49 PM

• 3 weeks later...

This pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog monoblocks is everthing mobile has said they are. They provide a moving musical experience. I am posting this copy of my last post to Bi-wiring Belles.

From Bi-Wiring Belles 1/30/02:

Tonight I decided not to wait any longer to hear the Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs I'd purchased even though the Cary SLP90L preamp is due to arrive later today according to FedEx. The modified PP-1 has been here for several days. The 3 Chineese 12AX7 tubes were immediately rolled for 3 vintage Apmerex 12AX7 tubes. It's been powered on and waiting to be put in service. The Moondogs are given power and time to warm up as I prepare dinner for my son and I. After dinner, the Rega 3 turntable is moved to the Moondogs component shelves.

After three LP's, I'm all smiles on the outside, totally excited inside my soul, and ready to listen to music all night long, but I know I can't because I have to get up at dawn.

This is what mobile has been talking about folks. SET amps, Heritage horns, and vinyl. What an incredible formula. The Moondogs, the Belles, the Rega 3 and the PP-1 make music together. Miles, Coltrane, Cannonball, Wayne Shorter, Branford Marsalis, have never sounded so good, and I've been using Klipsch speakers for many years though I've never owned Belles. As good as this is now, it's going to get even better when the Cary is added, the Tjoeb99 with new matched Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 tubes, premium cables because I believe that if better cabling increases computer network reliability, ....you get the picture. RCA 2A3 Black plates coming soon to help in the output department.

Achieving tonight's music experience is what this post

was about. The Moondogs are clearly a new level of amplification for me, which combined with the other components has completed a two channel system that will satisfy my ears for many years to come. Thanks Kelly for all of your help and, all the other members of this Forum. I could babble on for hours and days to come, and probably will, but I want to hear one more cut before I sleep.

Long live vinyl!

Klipsch out.

1975 Belles

Rega 3 TT; Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

Asusa modified PP-1 phono preamplier

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs monoblocks

to be added

AH!Tjoeb 99

Cary SLP90L

jazman, great news that everything is coming together. You really got an amazing deal on those Moondogs (as did edster00). Both of you happened to find fully loaded versions made VERY well for not much more than the kit. In fact, I will say that your Moondogs are perhaps some of the nicest wired examples I have seen.

You also got a beautiful Cary line stage...I just hope that configuration sounds as good as it looks.

Great to hear your excitement in listening to your music; hell, you arent going to know what to do when all that stuff is finally assembled! Next will be to pour more $$$ into your music!

Ole Mike is next! He will never leave his bedroom after he is done.

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

mobile,

The Cary arrived today. Would you believe it looks better than the photo. Gold faceplate, chrome deck. The sale tag in the manual reads;

DEMO SLP90L

24K Gold Option

Oil Cap Upgrade

Matched Gold Aero's

Outboard Power

Retail $2600

Sale @$1500.00

That's what the previous owner paid.

This Cary should be quite fine. The units with a phono stage used 12AX7 tubes. My PP-1 Phono Preamp uses 12AX7s which hopefully will be a good match.

Listening to the Moondogs last night was really incredible. I've played the Kind of Blue LP countless times, but never felt like I was in the studio while it was being played like I did last night. It's very difficult to describe how real it seemed. I'd better cut the description here so I don't babble praise for the Moondogs for the next 1/2 hour.

This evening I'm using the Eico-Tjoeb99 combo to have a reference point when connecting the CD player through the Cary. The Eico sounds wonderful after a week with it's full load of NOS tubes. The AH!Tjoeb has had the BugleBoy 6922's in for a few days and Ed is correct about them being the best upgrade. They seem to add/extend the top and bottom end, and bring CD's a close to vinyl, open sound. I'm going to roll the HF81 output tubes from EI Yugo to 4 closely matched Webcor labeled Mullards tomorrow to determine how much better the Eico can get while I work preparing and completing all the Moondog/Cary connections.

I'm having so much fun while enjoying the music. I'm going to do a Rega TT motor upgrade and a tonearm wiring upgrade real soon.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 01-31-2002 at 02:58 PM

jazman,

Keep posting those wonderful comments. You're sort of painting a picture of your road to two channel nirvana. I get a lot of pleasure from reading them. They're beneficial for me, as I have Belle's too. I'm not likely to travel the exact path as you, but you've definitely helped me to avoid some pitfalls! Kudos to moblie too, your expertise is invaluable to us all!

Waiting to see some pictures of the final setup.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

shapeshifter(wes)

Glad you enjoy the comments. My purpose is to chronicle some of what I'm experiencing while building this 2 channel system. Not all of the details, but most of the highlights with the hope someone else can relate, or maybe encourage someone else considering embarking on a similar path to "go for it". It's been fun, intense, but all worth it.

I really can't say enough good things about the Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs. They were not part of the initial "budget", and for sure they were a spike up in the budget, but they are.... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!The Moondogs have really become the centerpiece, but the Rega 3 turntable, Tjoeb99, modified PP-1, and now the Cary SLP90L are great supporting cast to pump into the Belles. I had tried once before to purchase a pair of Moondogs only to have the owner decide to keep them.

All of this was inspired by my experience with the HF81. I am probably the easiest convert to tubes mobile has encountered, but it was easy to accept what my ears were experiencing. Well, I've got the rest of the day off and plan to roll four Mullard output tubes in the HF81 to replace the EI Yugo quads that are presently there to see if I can raise the bar further for the HF81's performance. Then I'll work to place and connect some of the final pieces of this 2 channel system.

Stay tuned.

Klipsch out.

Hey forum,

All the dots have been connected. I finally have a very respectable 2 channel audio system. The Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs are making wonderful music as I write this. It's taken a couple of months, but worth all the agonizing, net surfing, reading, cross referencing, late night sessions on the computer, lots of luck, advice from mobile. I don't think anything I say can truly express how good this system of components sounds. That's the good news. It's all connected. The other news, instead of bad news is,... there's more to be done.

1. Upgrade most of the interconnect cables.

2. Roll the tubes that arrived with the Cary to more stately offerings. The present Sylvania 6CA4s most go. Mullards most likely replacement since I have some new ones.

3. Upgrade to a MC or a different MM cartridge instead of the Rega Elys.

4. Roll the Sovtecks for RCA 1943 2A3 Black plates. Yea mobile, would you believe I found them new, in their time worn boxes, on ebay?

5. One day in the future, add my Akai Reel to Reel deck.

For tonight however, it's Jazz LP after LP. I don't care how many trips I make to the turntable. Vinyl rules in my household. And yes, vinyl really IS the sound, especially with these components. Mobile knows what I'm talking about! 2 CHANNEL SOUND! Moondogs are abolutely delicious amplifiers!

Klipsch out.

PS. I forgot to say how beautiful, yes I said BEAUTIFUL the components in the system are. Just go back and review mobile images of the Moondogs, the Cary, the PP-1. It takes the Rega and the Tjoeb in their basic black attire to keep it from being a system you would only display and never play.

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

AH!Tjoeb99 CD Player

This message has been edited by jazman on 02-01-2002 at 10:24 PM

From Bi-wiring Belles.

mobile,

Cary SLP90L updates.

I still have the two 1960 Brimar 6CA4 tubes in the HF81. My two never used NOS Mullard 6CA4s have been rolled into the Cary to replace the Slyvania 6CA4s. I think it is an improvement.(I have additional Mullard 6CA4s for the HF81.)

Regarding the 4 12AU7As in the Cary.

The current 12AU7As are branded "Gold Aero", have a gold colored top, gold script and letering, and "made in germany" printed on them. Brendan at Tube World has not heard of them. Have you? I have '58 RCA Black plate 12AU7s which I plan to roll in unless you feel the Gold Aeros are better. Eventually hoping for NOS Mullards, Telefunkens.

Moondog update.

I'm cleaning the '43 2A3 RCAs.(Globes and posts)Plan to roll these sometime early this week.

I had two friends stop by this weekend to help move a shelf case system to the my sons room on 2nd floor. Of course their payback was freshly brewed beer from the local brewpub, snacks, and listening to some jazz. Both have a large collection of jazz. One used to sell stereo gear and Klipsch speakers. Both left saying it was the most "revealing" system they had experienced.

I will add getting some pics done for posting on my to do list.

Klipsch out.(Music's in.)

PS. The HF81 is off-line waiting for the Cornwalls to arrive.