What could cause both of my tweeters to stop working?

Bogner85

I was trying to sell my Klipsch Heresy speakers on eBay but in the process of showing them to a potential bidder we discovered that neither one of my tweeters work. Is there any common problem that happens here? Would it be worth it to try to repair them before sale or just sell as is?
Thanks

Kyle

Here's some pics:

8098_1.JPG

743e_1.JPG

66a0_1.JPG

It is not unusual for both K-77 tweeters to be bad. These tweeter diaphagms are pretty delicate. The tweeters are repairable by replacing the diaphragms. Send me an email and I will send you some instructions on replacing the diaphragms.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com

It's somewhat counterintuitive, but the fact that both are bad suggests that they both are truly defective. That's more likely than that they both suffer from bad connections. With Bob's help replacing the diaphragms is easy.

Nevertheless, I'd first disconnect the tweeters from the balancing networks and confirm that they're fried. With a DVM you can test for continuity on the voice coils. If you don't have one, use a battery (AA or AAA) to test each tweeter. Touch one lead to one end of the battery and scratch the other lead across the other end of the battery. If it makes noise it's good; if it's quiet, it's shot.

My guess is that they were overdriven. Whether this makes sense to you may depend on you knowledge of the history of the units.

As Bob says, the tweeters are the most fragile of any of the drivers in any speaker box.

OTOH a young relative of mine had a hand me down SpeakerLab little box. Somehow the woofers in both got blown. Probably a matter of someone turning up the bass control and loudness during a pool party. Somehow the tweeters survived.

In any case, what you've got is what you've got.

You should put them up on the Garage Sale section of the forum.

My guess is that you're better off selling them "as is". People like buying fixer-uppers which they can work on and maybe hot rod a bit more. Then they have the confidence that things are according to their satisfaction.

The alternative is to sell them as having been repaired. For the most part, I expect you will not recover the added investment and there will be a bit of a cloud over what was done . . . even if perfectly.

Gil