Could I Re-veneer?

flatgrass

For the past year I have been trying to obtain a Heresy for a center. Haven't had much luck as most come in pairs. Fine. Have tried to get a pair. Either someone stomps on the listed price on craigslist and starts a bidding situation when it is not called for, or someone muscles the bid on ebay for more than a reasonable price on anything that is relatively local (6 hour round trip).

Now, there is a set four blocks away. Went to look at them, but passed because I would have to re-veneer one to repair an edge. Now, the guy just posted them again with a small price reduction.

Is is possible for a veneering neophyte to be able to be able to complete a veneer job without completely screwing it up, and having to buy enough tools that would equate to a small new yankee workshop?

Thanks,

kevin

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the help, and insight. Very good food for thought. Groomlake, I will have follow questions for you, if that is okay?

I believe I am going to take the plunge, and try and get the pair if they are still available, and put a new veneer on them myself.

Regards,

kevin

Groomlake, I will have follow questions for you, if that is okay? I believe I am going to take the plunge, and try and get the pair if they are still available, and put a new veneer on them myself. Regards, kevin

Please feel free at any time. I sent you a private message on the Forum regarding minimum tools, costs, etc.. Check your inbox. And, please consult with other forum members as you go. There are certainly a number of other members with a considerable amount of experience.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/

is an excellent source.

I often point out a fact of the universe. It is almost impossible for anyone to do a good job at anything, the first time. It is sort of like, "You can't get a first job unless you have experience."

This sticking point is somewhat solved if you practice on scrap wood or speakers from a charity shop.

Gil

http://www.joewoodworker.com/ is an excellent source. I often point out a fact of the universe. It is almost impossible for anyone to do a good job at anything, the first time. It is sort of like, "You can't get a first job unless you have experience." This sticking point is somewhat solved if you practice on scrap wood or speakers from a charity shop. Gil

How true!!

The first pair I did several years ago were "beaters". Had sold my JBL 4311's and 4312's and had decided to replace them with Klipsch Heresy's. I had one pair that i originally bought in the service in 1979, so I started "shopping". Bought them from eBay for $350 advertised as "mint". I was so upset when I got them that I called the seller, etc. but the seller was then no longer registered on eBay. I was really frustrated, WAF flack, etc. Local carpentry shop said "yah, we can do it but it'll cost a couple hundred bucks for the time, etc. Why not just do it yourself!" Those folks walked me through everything, answered my questions (and still do), cut my first set of replacement panels for me at no cost, advised me on tools, techniques, etc. I owe them a debt that can never be repayed. I practiced on plywood and everything else I could just to get the hang of it. Used a complete sheet of birch veneer. But I learned. Eventually, I sold that pair of Heresy's to a friend of mine. He still says they look like new. Practice, practice, practice and keep at it. Every pair I do now I learn something else. Some little technique, little trick, etc. I've graduated to Cornwalls, and finally a pair of Klipschorns for a friend of mine last year. Now that was a challenge!!! I still keep copies of links from forum threads that show "how to do it". Among others, one of my favorites is still Greg's gts928 's Klipschorns & Zebrawood Heresy documents. They read like a textbook.

To add to above replies, refinishing isn't all that hard. Materials can be simple such as sanding block, sand paper, exacto knife, your choice of glue, heatset or contact and a straight edge and your in business. I've tried both glueing methods and have been more pleased with contact cement; course that's my opinion only. Look at these threads, http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/78221.aspx , http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/78617.aspx,

or search heresy reveneering and you'll find a few projects to review. Bottom line, if your refinishing "beater" speakers then you ain't hurting anything.

[D]