Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 4

thebes

Don't want to interrupt last week's thread but it's a new week. Please continue on with what you were talking about. Unfortunately I had little experience of the groups to add to the dialogue but am glad to see a little back and forth. Nice to see folks getting into their music.

Now truth be told I don't have much in the way of rytem, but I've certainly had the blues.

To me the blues get you through the hard times but R&B helps make the good times. An there ain't no rythm and there ain't no blues like:

Wilson Pickett, "Best Of" , cd, R&kick butt B

One of the seminal sounds of American music history, songs featured in countless Hollywood flicks, and the background to more teenage parties back in the day. 'In The Midnight Hour', 'Don't Fight It', 634-5789', 'Land Of A 1000
Dances' (written by Chris Kenner), 'Mustang Sally' and 'Funky Broadway' are only a few on this disk. Do yourself a favor and throw this one on at your next party and teach the youngsters a trick or two.

So what do yo have to share this week?

gotta have your r and b thebes! it is not too new, but david gilmour's 'live at royal albert hall' is a must have. sure you say, how many times can old dave and the boys re-hash old floyd tunes?! this one is much more music and much less theatric's of the floyd days, which i also like. this time around gilmour plays his newest album entirely. then he does several older tunes. the version of 'echoes' and 'fat old sun' are very good. cheers to a guy who's voice is never tiresome and seems to get better with age. not to mention a guitar style of his own. david bowie had to crash the party at the end of the show, but he seems to make a couple of old tunes his own. whether you like him or not, he IS david bowie you know!!

Happened to stumble on this one collecting dust, figured I give it a spin, and now I have something to write about .........

HONKIN' ON BOBO : AEROSMITH ..................... CD ......... 2004 ..... YUP, 2004 ....

Right to the point here, PUMP , and GET A GRIP were good rock albums , but sort of formula good music. I didn't care for the tone of Areosmith's music. Understand, to me, Joe Perry is one of the finest Rock Guitarist alive, the dude can play, and those endless back ground solo's on the ballads they do, are to die for, but the rest of the band just chugs along. Turning out song after song, looking for the next, Love in an Elevator, or such. Boring , Boring ....

Then I saw this, said; What the Hell, put it on, and ...................... AEROSMITH IS BACK, playing the music that got them to now. The Blues as only the Bads Lads from Boston can do them. This baby ROCKS ...From the opener, Road Runner, you know this is different, this is the real deal, Aerosmith steps back to where it began.Shame,Shame, Shame, to Baby Please Don't Go, to I'm Ready this baby hums. A Great change of pace in Aerosmiths Commerical career. I realize a bands got to eat, and this type album may not sell well ..But Thanks Guys, this is a fun album .... took me 4 years to play it, but I'll play it again tomorrow ..........

The more I play this, the more I put it right beside TOYS IN THE ATTIC, and ROCKS as great Aerosmith Albums !!!!!!!!!!!

with John Bonham on drums, Duane Allman on second guitar --

Morrison, Mercury, or Brad Delp singing?

My rec this week is Live at Leeds by the Who --- not the first, very abbreviated version nor the last too-expanded version, but the second one-disc CD. Every time I listen to this I laugh when they call Entwhistle "the Black Raper", play lots of air-guitar to Pete's incredible chords, and sing along -- Moon is all over the place as usual. A great great concert-- too bad I was 11 and on the other side of the pond-- "Substitute" is the only disappointment because its so good and too short--

ARS (Atlanta Rhythm Section) "Underdog" (1979)(Polydor)

Pulled this LP this morning, and what a jammin' rendition of the song "Spooky"

In the cool of the evening when ev'rything is gettin' kind of groovy,
I call you up and ask you if you want to go and meet and see a movie,
First you say no, you've got some plans for the night,
And then you stop, and say, "All right."
Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you.

You always keep me guessin', I never seem to know what you are thinkin'.
And if a fella looks at you, it's for sure your little eye will be a-winkin'.
I get confused, 'cause I don't know where I stand,
And then you smile, and hold my hand.
Spooky!

If you decide someday to stop this little game that you are playin',
I'm gonna tell you all what my heart's been a-dyin' to be sayin'.
Just like a ghost, you've been a-hauntin' my dreams,
So I'll propose... on Halloween.

Spooky,
Spooky,
Spooky,
Oh-whoa, all right,
I said Spooky!

JOE G sings SPOOKY -