AV Receiver help - HK or Yamaha or Denon

apkaman

Hello All,

I just bought new Snergy SLX LCR home theater setup and regarding the selection of the receiver I have some questions and need help. There is a great deal for HK AVR 445 which does only HDMI switching and no HDMI Audio processing but the price is steal as everyone is saying HK is great. They do carry HK AVR 247 which is lesser watts but provides HDMI Audio and Video processing. At the same time, I'm also considering Denon AVR 1908 or 2308 and Yamaha AVR 661/HTR 6060. Based on my reading people are recommending Denon or HK rather than Yamaha as the Yamaha seems to be bright.

Here are my questions as I'm kind of inclined towards HK AVR 445 but since it doesn't do HDMI Audio processing my concerns are about the future where the 7.1 PCM output via HDMI providing high quality sound I really don't want to buy receiver just based on features alone but want solid receiver that goes well with Klipsch in particular and does HDMI Audio processing really matters. This is because I reviewed HK AVR 247 manual online and it did not say whether is supports 7.1 PCM, Dolby True HD, DTS True HD etc. but I did find it in Yamaha and Denon receivers. Denon also seems to be supporting HDMI v1.3 versus Yamaha supports HDMI v1.2a while HK is way behind in HDMI support.

Based on many people's feedback it seems like Yamaha receivers are bright, Denon is Neutral and HK is warm. I really don't understand what does it mean by that may be because I haven't really listened to them with Klipsch speakers and not sure if I can as the local shops they don't carry all these receivers with Klipsch speakers in the demo room and that's why I would like to hear feedback from the real Klipsch community and their experiences rather than just going with reading the review.

Thanks and your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Paddy

The Denons win for features that work well with decent sound.The HK wins on sound w/Klipsch,pretty much no contest for the smile factor.I've had most all midfi avrs,some sterile and some bright,some outstanding.HK rules the less than 1k new for music,Denon for reliable(generally) current features.Of course only my opinion,try em' all if you can.Last,how about the 347,hdmi 1.2(sacd/dvda) maybe?

Fish,

I'll definitely try to listen to them all but having hard time as lot's of shops like BB they haven't hooked up HK at all but they do carry HK AVR 247 or 347. Yamaha is hooked up to Quintet SL but it's not inside the AV ROOM. So, lot's of noise outside. There is one shop they carry HK AVR 445 w/Klipsh speakers and it has more output than AVR 347 except for the HDMI Audio processing but I'm not sure abou the deal as I'm not sure if it's future proof considering the HDMI and HD arena is already in the picture. Thanks for your feedback.

BB is ok for lookin,not much for an audition,the 347 is about $550 delivered(most all reputable web stores),just so ya know.You may call HK about the 445 hdmi audio unless you know for sure,hdmi 1.1 up is capable I think,good luck.

I think it's also worth checking into the Onkyo line up. They seem to lead the pack as far as features and price/performance now - with HDMI audio processing on the 605. Several home theater magazines have given these rave reviews. Worth a listen, anyway. And remember, in most cases you can buy these receiver from a B&M store so you can audition and then return the ones you don't want - check the return policy before doing so.

The Onkyo's were worth a look,the 605 for $380 deliverd with all it's got looked like a good deal.The sound was weak compared even to Denons,the 705 would not even fill the bill.I did not try the 805 but it's surely the minimum for audio compared to Denon/HK.

I have the HK 645 with 2x HDMI & upscaling from analog which I got from HK's ebay outlet as a refurb for $480. It is a great unit - and loads cheaper than lower models from BB, etc.

Look up Harman Audio on ebay for their outlet store.

Thanks a lot for help. I visited one local electronics store and just got HK AVR 445 for just $199 which is a demo model and I think it has more watts than HK AVR 247/347 but it doesn't do HDMI upconversion which I don't really need as I have HD upconversion DVD recorer cum player which even upconverts and displays my regular cables pretty good.

My only outstanding question now is AVR 445 doesn't do HDMI Audio processing and I'm not sure if that's a big deal as this receiver is at steal price and I can always buy the latest receiver when the all the HDMI 7.1 PCM audio is up-to-date in the market.

• 1 month later...

Even though my speakers are budget Klipsch my system never fails to impress people. Even the ones that spent way more on speakers than I. It is all in the receiver, quality and calibration. Receivers need to be auditioned just like speakers, but that is easier said than done. I have a Yamaha as you see in my signature. What some people call bright I call detailed and revealing. But I use my system for big movies so those characteristics are good. People looking for a system for classical music may want something warmer. But you bought Klipsch that must mean you appreciate clarity and detail so for HT I choose Yamaha(high end).

BTW If you can buy a receiver that was normally outside your budget but affordable now due to no HDMI go for it. I am so happy I went that route. Digital out audio is great for just about all current sources.

You should wait for the refurbs on Ebay. I paid 700 bucks for a refurb avr745. I had some issues with it, sent it back, and HK sent me a brand new 745 for free (i didn't even have to pay shipping). So essentially, I now have a un-refurbd 745 for about 1/4th the cost of a new one. HK's customer support is second to none, so getting a refurb from them is an absolute no brainer as the will support the hell out of it.