KLF-C7's

MagnumMan

I was just wondering what the deal is with the C7's? Did Klipsch dump a big load to distributers or what? There's a ton of them on ebay for around the $300 range. Considering they retailed for $600,I was curious why so many are popping up on bid sites for such low costs.

I have one coming,and might but another in a couple of months. That way when I'm ready to upgrade to 6.1, I'll have the extra speaker already.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

jerry, i guess because it hasn't been long on a relative basis since legends were discontinued. when u have that mass production it seems hard to get the assem lines to come to a stop. Smile.gif then there's the inventory.

what i'm suprised at is all the lf-10 subs on ubid now. i mean come on, those were discontin in what, like the end of 1999? they musta started making those again somewhere. could this be marketing & klipsch's way of getting around those dealers to sell more internet direct? not there's anything wrong w/ that Smile.gif

that's what i did was get another c7 ($249+ship) on ubid for 6.1. work great!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-10-2002 at 01:32 PM

I have a C7 and why are so many people using them as surrounds for 6.1? Wouldn't another KSP S6 or S5 or even bookshelfs serve as a better unit? I thought the C7 was specifically made to pick up voice and conversation in the center channel when using 5.1 or even dolby if you are using older systems. Maybe I'm wrong but let me know how that turns out for the sounds. What do you do for mounting? Place it on a speaker stand behind your couch?

Furthermore I have a 6.1 Denon AVR5700 but where in the world are you guys putting all these speaker wires on revceiver terminals? I have terminals for 1 set of mains, 1 center, and A/B surrounds so I can have 4 rear speakers if needed.

My receiver even has 8.1 availability. My question is, where would I put my rear center if I were using 6.1 let's say? All my terminals on the receiver are filled with existing speaker wire. Would I wire my 6.1 center rear on the same terminal as my rear KSP S6? I use 12 guage wire so that's going to be pretty much an impossible task. I'm just curious on how people do it. Down the line I was actually thinking of putting side speakers as well, like a theater, but I have no more room on the back of my receiver. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate a brief explanation or even a sample setup somewhere (text or image or web site?)

Thanks.

un, usually it comes up to use a direct radiating or wdst (wide dispersion surround tech) type speak for rear surround(s). imo a direct speak works best because it helps tie together the sound from the recommended side wdst speaks. & if we ever get much dts es 6.1 discrete material, that will be mixed for directionality to the back center. such as when a plane flys straight over your head from front to back or vice versa it'll stay centered. & the c7 is a good sized speak that fits the task well for me. it's directly opposite my front C7 so of course matches well there. hopefully i'll get a DTS ES 6.1 discrete decoding upgrade soon & we'll have more DTS ES 6.1 discrete material put out by then.

to get dolby digital ex (6.1/7.1 matrixed) or DTS ES 6.1 matrix or DTS ES 6.1 discrete effects u need those respective decoders in your receiver or pre/pro (or dvdp if u use it for your decoder), as well as material that has the format encoded on it. u also need 6 or 7 amplified channels either built into the unit (such as w/ the 5803) or as external amps. so any 6.1 or 7.1 capable unit you'll have 7 or 8 (both including the sub preout) preamp outputs on the receiver or pre/pro to do 6.1 or 7.1 respectively.

i know some previous denon & others have 5 amp channels but preouts for surround back channel(s).

so to get 6.1 or 7.1 u need to hook an external amp to a preout. a, b or a+b on the denons uses the same channels & is really meant for swiching between 2 sets of surrounds for different purposes, like A for movies (wdst speaks) & B for music (direct speaks).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-10-2002 at 10:54 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but where does one get preamps and external amps and installation instructions with the current receiver that runs currently in 5.1 mode? This thing is a beast probably close to 50 lbs, and I can't imagine adding more power.

Your theater must look like an electronics store. Anyway back to the point. You always see receivers and DVD players, and home theater in all sorts of stores but where the heck do you buy external amps and preamps? Will that 6.1 or 7.1 and 8.1 help my sound currently if I'm still only watching my 5.1 DVDs bought at your average Best Buy? It's good to have all that power and setup, and more I'm sure, but what is the real benefit unless media is going to start recording home DVD's in 6.1 or greater? THX has been around a long time but why aren't more THX feature films being produced?

Once again I'm sorry if my inquiries seem trivial to you pros out there, but as you can see by my posting numbers, I guess you could say I'm a wiring virgin. My idea was one receiver and some kick *** Klipsh speakers. I've never dealt with preamps, and external amps, and seperates, and never knew anyone who has, ubt if it's going to get me the 6.1 and beyond, I'm still very interested in how to do it.

Setup:

KLF30 Legends in front

KLFC7 in center

KSW12 sub

KSP S6 surrounds

KLF10 as surrounds (sound tested, but still need to run speaker wire through walls)

Denon AVR 5700 receiver.

un, sorry i guess that was a long winded way on my part

to say u can't do 6.1 or beyond w/ the 5700 as is. u need the decoders & rear surround preouts &/or speaker terminals.

there are some devices like from parasound that u can run the surround preouts to & get a matrixed 6.1. of course then u need an additional amp for that (i think). or u could run the surround preouts to another

receiver w/ prologic & get a matrixed 1 or 2 surround back channels. oh, & u need the speakers 2.

i think once u get to 5.1 w/ a great receiver like yours, u hit diminishing returns w/ more channels/speakers. then again probably not 2far down the road we'll look back at 5.1 like we do 2 channel stereo today. this hobby ain't the lowest cost 1 out there Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

User Name,

I have the 4800 which I think is very similar to the 5700, but less power, bells and whistles. I only have 5 amps (125 x 5) but have the ability to power a set of mains (L + R), center and surround A (L + R) speakers in the default configuration. You can also hook up an extra 2 channel amp to this configuration and tell the receiver (thru setup - Power Assignment), you want the Denon to power the center and the 4 surrounds (Surround A and Surround Back speakers). In order to power the main speakers, I have to run a pair of RCA cables from the Denon Pre-Outs (Main L and R) to the inputs on the 2-channel power amp. I then run the speaker wire from the 2-channel amp to the main speakers. Because I am no longer using the Denon for powering the front speakers, I can now run speaker wire from the Front L and R wiring posts on the Denon to the Surround Back speakers and have 7.1 sound. If you only have one speaker for the back surround (KLF-C7), you only wire the left channel on the back of the Denon to the speaker. The Power assignment I mentioned earlier lets the Denon know what it's powering.

By doing this, you can also hookup a separate pair of speakers using the Surround B wiring posts. Here, you will want full size speakers that match your mains for 5.1 channel music. Thru setup (Channel assignment), you now set it up so that in Dobly/DTS Surround mode, you assign Surround B (for 5.1 Channel music) and in THX mode, you assign Surround A. This will turn off Surround B and turn on Surround A (which should be a pair of WDST speakers - KSP-S6, RS-3, RS-7). If the movie is THX-EX or DTS-ES, your Back surround speakers will come on as well (if you have set THX-EX to auto in setup). If this doesn't make sense to you, shoot me an Email and I will try to explain it better...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-11-2002 at 10:55 AM

thanks mike, my bad. i was looking at some incomplete info on the 5700. it does have the preouts for surround back (effects). like mike says u'd have to get an additional 2 channel amp & usually would be best to assign that to the 2 front channels/speakers.

looks like it also has some kinda simulator decoder to do the matrixed effects for the surround back channels/speakers. there may be a dsp or even some hardware upgrades for it out there too. says it's upgradable.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-11-2002 at 04:02 PM