Custom-3s available now!

Amy

Dreven: Not much of a gamble, since you could order the 3's, as well, and then return the one you liked less. No muss, no fuss. Unicorns, kittens, and rainbows!

I'm debating going this route. I don't like returning items if at all possible but there is no way to know ahead of time in this situation. One thing that worries me is after researching a bit I'm not sure I have a good source to test with as my iPod isn't really that great and the pocket amp I have is pretty cheap.

I got my order in at 5PM west coast time. I was scared to death as I had been stuck on my computer since this morning trying to install a new version of SpyBot during the time my computer was still setting up from a shut down from the prior night, and McAfee was down loading their updates - everything got messed up and it wasn't untill 4:45PM that I had everything up and running again. The first thing I checked was my e-mail, and seeing the announcement and that it was nearly 5 oclock, I was expecting to see that they were all gone. But, my order went through without a hickup. I do hope that my order is truely confirmed with a notice of shipment tomorrow.

I have been checking my e-mail, the Custom 3 site page and this forum many times a day for WEEKS hoping to see that they were finally available. And of all the days I monitored for availability, it had to be this day of computer problems to have it pop up. But fortunately I got them (I hope).

I can't wait to try them with my new DD5.1 external sound card (ASUS Xonar U1 USB Audio Station). With it and my new EMMELINE 'Predator" Headphone Amp, I ripped my favorite stereo CDs, then converted them with ProLogic II and 'Headphone' post processing in anticipation of getting these new Custom 3 headphones. I like what I hear with my old Sony earbuds, but expect outstanding sound with the new Custom 3s.

I can't wait to try them with my new DD5.1 external sound card (ASUS Xonar U1 USB Audio Station). With it and my new EMMELINE 'Predator" Headphone Amp, I ripped my favorite stereo CDs, then converted them with ProLogic II and 'Headphone' post processing in anticipation of getting these new Custom 3 headphones. I like what I hear with my old Sony earbuds, but expect outstanding sound with the new Custom 3s.

Now I'm really depressed about my source. I had not heard of the Xonar U1 but the Predator must be nice.

/Edit - With the DAC on the Predator, why do you need the ASUS Xonar?

The Xonar U1 does all of the post processing from stereo to simulated DD5.1/Headphone from my ripped CDs, replacing the original stereo file with the converted simulated DD5.1/Headphone file. It also converts REAL DD5.1 from DVD movies to simulated DD5.1 'Headphone' output.

My computer is a Sony Micro-Computer VGN-UX490N/C with an external 19" LCD monitor, external 100GB hard drive and multi-format CD/DVD reader/writer through a port extender. When I travel I remove the computer from the port and plug in the Predator Amp to play my ripped music in simulated surround sound through the Klipsch Custom 3s. It is a rather expensive MP3 player, but superior in sound quality and versatility doubling as my home computer. It also does triple duty as a superior GPS unit with DeLorme Topo maps with 3D display of the map contours while backpacking with my solar charger/Li-Ion battery system that keeps all of my electronics up and running.

• Moderators

I don't know who they are, or how they received stock (if in fact they did), so be leery! It's hard to shut them down if they actually have the product somehow, though, since they are not claiming a warranty through Klipsch. We'll just have to see.

Oh Oh! Where is my FedEx tracking number? Hasn't my order shipped yet?

THe tracking number doesn't pop up until it actually ships, at least that's what seems to happen. After checking a few times I saw a shipping number. I even caught it when I had a number but FedEx didn't have it in the database yet.

Now the problem is catching the FedEx guy at the door. They require signature.

I got them today. Spent the appropriate period of time to get the seal and confort right, then proceded to test them out.

The mid range was clear and smooth - nice. The bass was a little subdued and 'muddy' compared to my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 with stacked subs. They lacked the tightness and impact in the low frequenceis.

Before people jump all over me about a "poor fit", let me say that I started out with the smallest gels which were too small - no seal, no bass. The mediums sealed and delivered the bass as described, as well as the largest double flange model. I had trully subdued ambient background noise (plugged ears) and no ear discomfort. The next size was uncomfortable to insert, let alone wear for an extended period.

Donald