vintage speakers

trader boy

I just built in a fireplace & TV into a wall and got paid in cash and Klipsch speakers. I was told it was a 5.1 surround system for a home theater. I got 2 KG 1.5, 2 KG 5.5 and a KV 2. . I have vintage pardigm 3 se speakers, the KG 1.5s have a clearer high end and sound nice. I want to use them with a Olevia 247 FHD 47 LCD TV. I think it will work, I welcome all feedback. I also need suggestions on a receiver under $600, I just blew up a low end Denon receiver made in Taiwan.

Welcome to the madness, as we like to call it. You do have a great setup. I would say to take a look over in the Home Theater section as there are many talks about what receiver to purchase.

And the voices will come, just remember don't fight them. Everything will be fine in the end.

James

Thanks, I have been cruising around the forum, it sounds like the jubilees could replace the kg 5.5 if I wanted to go with a smaller speaker. It seems everybody has a set-up they like and a lot of the receivers are vintage tube set-ups, now I'm wondering if i could use a vintage receiver or do i need a digital for a home theater set-up. Still learning and reading.

Congrats on your pmt, better than cash in this instance. Jubilees are the top dog but are a lot larger than 5.5's. Tubes have a huge following here. I don't think a vintage receiver would be your best choice for HT due to outdated sound processing technology.

Welcome to the forum.

For HT, you'll want a modern AV receiver. Yamaha, Harman Kardon and Denon are probably the big 3 among members, but there are a number of other brands in use as well. Vintage and tube setups are nearly all dedicated 2-channel music listening systems.

As for the Jubilees, they sound great, but they really are about the size of refrigerators. La Scalas are about the size of washing machines (they're great, I have a pair) and Heresies are about the size of microwave ovens.

Hang around and you'll see what sort of speakers suit various home and budget situations. You can spend a little or a lot, but Klipsch speakers are pretty good value at most price points.

Dont' toss those KGs out just yet. I think you may like them. Get the best sub you can budget for and HT receiver too and you should be happy for a while. I have always been partial to Yamaha myself. Even the KV2 which does not get a lot of love around here I have found to be quite nice in my upstairs set up.