Reviews!

Amy

I just received my Custom 3 headphones. I have minimal use but I used the small eartips.

From what I can tell:

• It has bass, no boomy bas but bass like when I play my rf-83 without a subwoofer. Clean articulate bass but I do miss some bass on certain songs
  • The highs like from string instruments are very clean
  • I think the custom 3 are made for more a dedicated system then the i-Pod since the ipod earplugs get louder than the custom 3
  • Its quiet, very strange feeling, some may not like this feeling. You might look over your shoulder cause its too quiet.
  • It puts mp3 to shame.... anything below 320 kbps sounds compressed
  • You can hear the cord rub across your shirt........ I have a thing called a smartwrap that will tame the cord but maybe something like that should have been provided. BTW today I wajust wearing a cotton tee shirt.
  • It sounds like etymotics but with the klipsch liveliness
I own a Generation 4 i-Pod color 60 gig.

Hey Amy,

Custom3's just arrived about an hour ago and have only listened for just a few min. but I did want to say for the very limited time they sound great and are very comfortable. Remember I wear hearing aids so I am very used to having custom earmolds in my ears all the time. When using the small tip I got good airtight fit and could hardly tell anything was in my ear. I will give more details on the sound when I get more time on them. I really cant wait to try them on a plane.

But..... the case is a little on the thin side. when putting my 30 gig Ipod I have to be really careful when closing the case to keep the headphones out of the way of the Ipod. Just my $0.02, it would be nice to have a small hard sided compartment inside the case for the headphones. I am using the small net on the lower right side to put the headphones in with the eartips sticking out of the net at the hinge, then sliding my Ipod in the bigger net on the left side. I just have to keep the Ipod all the way in the bottom of the net pouch and it closes fine.

Steve

But..... the case is a little on the thin side. when putting my 30 gig Ipod I have to be really careful when closing the case to keep the headphones out of the way of the Ipod. Just my $0.02, it would be nice to have a small hard sided compartment inside the case for the headphones. I am using the small net on the lower right side to put the headphones in with the eartips sticking out of the net at the hinge, then sliding my Ipod in the bigger net on the left side. I just have to keep the Ipod all the way in the bottom of the net pouch and it closes fine.

I find the case too small just for the C3 let alone my 80gb iPod. If they lie flat it seems as if they point too high up to NOT be hit but the case when closed. I can't see how they aren't being mushed a little. Probably not enough to damage them but still.

I find the case too small just for the C3 let alone my 80gb iPod. If they lie flat it seems as if they point too high up to NOT be hit but the case when closed. I can't see how they aren't being mushed a little. Probably not enough to damage them but still.

Glad you guys like the C3 sound!

There are certainly applications where the case is too small. First generation iPods are too thick for one.

We started out with the case design being much bigger but our focus group study told us that we needed a smaller version case. I love cases so any size is applicable is certain situations. I even like cases in cases. I travel overseas alot so cases are helpful. You know where everything is because you are organized. That was the thinking on this design.

I do want you to be careful though. I have broken custom hand built earmold shells that I made by packing cases too tight with my test samples. The same could happen for your C3's if you are not careful. Make sure there is clearence in the case. If there is not enough it is cheaper to use two cases than to try to get replacement C3's. If you take care of them they will last for years but they are like a pair of glasses.

I like to call myself a container freak. I love to shop for cases and bags so I'm biased in my eval of the one that came with the C3.

Can you or someone else confirm the case is tall enough for the C3? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if I lay them flat in the case, so the gels are pointing up, then close the case, it feels like the top of the case is pushing down on the gel tips. As far as I can tell there is no other way to fit them in the case.

I can understand that my iPod can't go in this case but I can't see even the ultra thin iPods like the Nano going in this case with the C3.

For what it's worth, my son recently hosted a Chicago gathering for a headphone forum (headfi.org) that

he is a member and one of the members brought a pair of custom 3's. I listen to them through a vacuum

tube headphone amp (Doge). I felt that the clarity and efficiency had the Klipsch sound to them but I felt

uncomfortable with the in-ear type of headphones, I especially liked the small diameter cloth cord.

I do not listen to headphones because I like the feeling of the chest thumping bass so my review is

based on other headphones I listen to (AKG, Sennheiser, Grado) and my Klipsch loudspeakers (Forte & RF-7).

Since Klipsch couldn't make the Chicago gathering I had asked my son to ask Klipsch to send a pair

of Klipschorns instead but they didn't make it either :(

Amy

My son told me he was in contact with you about the Chicago gathering but said that Klipsch was unable to attend (I believe that you were also in short supply of headphones). He also kidded with me saying that Klipsch is sending a pair of Klipschorns. Fortunately the custom 3's made it to the Chicago gathering. I was very impressed with them but not being a headphone person I felt uncomfortable with them in my ears. The tips on them were the large ones, I suppose if the small tips were on them that it may not have been as uncomfortable.

Those headfi.org people are some serious audiophiles, hopefully one day you can meet them. One of the members at the Chicago gathering is also a Klipsch forum member who also has a pair of Klipschorns. He was the one who brought the custom 3's.

Since my son is into audio I thought about attending the pilgrimage with him.

Hello Amy and all you other Klipsch fans.

Up until two months ago I was still playing Vinyl, tapes and CD's on my ancient NAD seperates system, so decided after much debate to take the plunge and go MP3 and ended up with an 80gig Ipod classic, which I have become very fond of (apart from the earphones).

Of course I then needed an external speaker system, so read a few reviews and went for the gear4 system, OK but didn't rock my boat so quarantined that to the shed, then got down to some serious searching and come across for the first time the name of Klipsch, the reviews on Amazon were frankly unbelivable( thought it must have been all the Klipsch employees doing it ;-0) so I decided to go for the Igroove HG, what can I say, the reviews were spot on, the build quality is 1st class and the sound from such a small package is phenominal, was I impressed or what.

Problem was such great sound coming from the HG, rubbish coming from the Ipod phones, again after reading every review on phones I was going to go for UE5 eb's or the equivalent Shures, then I came across your new custom series on Amazon but no reviews, what do I do now ? so eventually find your site and have a good rumage around and find enough info to make up my mind,so just ordered today from Amazon EU a lovely sparkly pair of custom 2's without ever having listened too them or any in ear phones, my old Senny cans are starting to fall apart anyway.

So now it is the waiting game, maybe I will be the first reviewer on the Amazon EU site for the custom 2s the only existing reviews are for the Image...watch this space....TTFN

• 3 weeks later...

I got the c1's for Christmas and I really like them. I do not use headphones much, so I did not feel ready to take it too deep. I was using just the crappy ipod ones so these are a nice upgrade. I like how you are totally isolated without having to have them powered in some way like some of the other noise cancelling earphones. I would say they are typical Klipsch-even the lower level products are of a very high quality.