Just got my Rolling stone today

oldtimer

quote user="Amy Unger"

I probably can't score tickets, but definitely can get backstage. At the show in November he had his wife and 2 small kids along. Probably not the image most people have in mind...

you get backstage next time, and i'll buy YOUR ticket! hell, i'd even buy you a drink for that one... or a coke!!!

I picked up my first RS on the stand in a few years, and its just not that interesting anymore. It used to be a ROCK AND ROLL magazine with maybe some jazz thrown because of its influence on Rock, but I think when they started adding alot of coverage of rap and R&B, its message got spread too thin.

That probably sounds racist--its not intended to be. But its true to older fans of the magazine. Same with MTV -- after those first glory years, once rap and R&B videos were added to the rock/pop mix its message also was spread too thin, and started to branch out away from the M in MTV. Both good examples of PC thinking diluting the quality of something great.

I'm not talking about Prince or Jimi Hendrix, I mean 2 Live Crew and Ice Cube. (I admit I don't like much rap or cliche R&B --)

Then fashion was covered more than one issue a year, then boy bands and the likes of Mariah's, Britney's, and Lindsay's daily movements and the transformation was complete.

To us old folks, its sad to see the sales figures in the back now -- where once was a list of great rock and pop, its been replaced by cliched and superproduced poseurs, braggarts, and fashion with background music. Damn I'm old!!

I took Amy's advice, and read the article. It was written well enough, but you would at least expect as much. I couldn't shake the feeling that ok it's like watching a train wreck, except for the caring part. Is it really an american tragedy? It's certainly a personal and family one but I can't shake the thought that "hey, we're not talking about a giant waste of talent, that truly would be sad for all of us." I mean it's not as if a bob dylan has been lost to us before writing three-fourths of his songs. white trash makes tons of money then screws it up, then goes bonkers. the end. Thank you rolling stone I never would have figured that one out.

• Moderators

"hey, we're not talking about a giant waste of talent, that truly would be sad for all of us."

Talented or not, she is (was) looked up to by thousands (millions?) of young girls, so yes, it is sad for a lot of people, just not "serious" music fans (aka Old School Rolling Stone).

What I gathered from the article besides the big "duh" is how she's turned her fame into a crazy, self-destructive game...I only wonder if she knows how destructive it is.

I should have put periods in there...Mother Earth News (MEN)![*-)]

After I hit my 20s, I did far too many hallucinogens and smoked too much. I gave it all up about 30 years ago. Life is far better when you're straight, and only gets better and better. When you put all your trust in Him, you really can't go wrong.

Dr. Timothy Leary .............. Richard Owsley ........... Life seemed so much simplier then ...... Public unrest, the WAR, the Draft, free Love, and then Woodstock, the beginning of the End ............... Woodstock started nothing, it ended the Hippie Era ..... We had it wrong !!!!! .... just took alot of years to figure it out, The Summer fo Love ended in a field in Upstate New York, .... sad but true !!!!!!!

• Moderators

Watch out Amy. Comparing her to elvis could be hazardous if a true fan finds out! Her actions are a childish scream for attention, and the media are like irresponsible parents (yes parents since they created her celebrity in the first place) rewarding her for it.

I love Elvis, don't get me wrong, but didn't he shoot a TV? He wasn't exactly the poster child for adult-like behavior. Thank goodness the paparazzi didn't hang out in Memphis.

I'm not condoning her behavior in any way whatsoever. I think she's bat-crazy. I'm simply saying I can understand why she's on the cover.

Keep in mind most of the "little girls" who looked up to her 10+ years ago are now in the target demographic for Rolling Stone today.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all in good fun ms. amy! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

just wanted to post that if anyone wanted to get a peek at the john butler trio, he has a performance on the austin city limits 2005 music festival dvd. i do not think i have ever seen a drummer that can drum, play a few bongos, and do some lyrics all at the same time. not to mention he can play the hell out of the skins! and, of course jb is great as well. most of the dvd is made up of some really bad british punk/pop stuff, except for aqualung. the remainder of the dvd has the strangley cool steve earle, gov't mule, robert earle keen, panic, allman brothers, john prine and others.