First time Klipsch home theater buyer, need advice.

nezff

I am currently looking into buying a home theater system to compliment my new SONY kds60a3000 60 inch HDTV. The only experience I have had with Klipsch is the ProMedia 2.1 system for my pc setup. I love em! I am looking at these two systems at a local Klipsch dealer:

2 RB-51, 1 RC-52, 2 R1650-C, 1 RPW-10 $999.99

2 RF-62, 1 RC-62, 2 R1800-C, 1 RW-12d $1799.99

My question is this, What would be the best receiver to get for either of these setups. I have actually though about replacing the RB-51 bookshelf speakers in the first setup, with the RF-62 floorstanding also. I was looking into a Sony STRDG 810. I am a firefighter from Louisiana so I dont make alot of money. I need something that will sound great but not break the bank. Wasnt looking to spend too much on a receiver. I understand that a good receiver makes all the difference, but hearing theses two systems which were both on sony receivers, sounded unbelievable. I also like Onkyo,Yamaha,Harmon,and Denon but not exactly sure about which one to run considering watts per channel etc....

thanks everyone.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Madness,

Wow, it looks like you are getting a good deal with option 2. If you have the room for the floor speakers I would say get those, plus the speakers match.

As far as receivers go, my only experience is with a Sony an older model 7.1 and then I switched to separates and never looked back. You should get some feedback from others about your choices. How much are you looking to spend on a receiver?

James

well i wasnt looking to go overboard with a receiver. I had looked into two sony receivers, the 810 and the 910. they both are around 300-450. I really wasnt looking to spend $700-$1000 on just a receiver. something with 100 watts or more a channel i suppose, but then again not sure. thanks.

• Moderators

I have used Pioneer, Onkyo, and now an HK. Personally, I have never been a fan of Sony receivers. They make great camcorders, cameras, TV's and DVD players. I love Sony...just not for audio.

Check out these that are within your budget. Any of these would be great for your setup. All prices below include FREE Shipping too.

*Not in any particular order.

Denon AVR-588 - $350

Denon AVR-688 - $450

Denon AVR-1508 - 350

Harman Kardon AVR-147 - $300

Onkyo TX-SR574 - $280

Onkyo TX-SR575 - $300

Onkyo TX-SR605 - $395

Any of the above receivers would rock those Klipsch Speakers! I used to think that only a receiver with 100 watts or greater was a good receiver. How wrong I was. 55 watts of clean power is way better than 100 watts of garbage. Onkyo has put out some great bang for your buck receivers and if you are on a tight budget, might be worth checking into. I loved mine when I had it and I really love my HK AVR-55. It only has 55 w/ch and it is PLENTY loud and clear for movies and music and my towers have four 8" woofers that it is having to push. Again...clean power is what you are looking for.

Best of luck with your new setup. Be sure to post pics when you get it all together.

• Moderators

One warning about Klipsch. Going with Klipsch is a little risky. Many people have experienced and suffered from a serious illness called "Upgradeitis". I myself was stuck by this wicked disease. I went in and listened to a pair of RB-61 bookshelf speaker. I made the dreaded mistake of listening to their complete lineup including the RF-7's and RF-83's. I was hit hard...almost took me out but I survived. I did have a breakdown though and just recently ordered the RF-83's. It's vicious bro. Whatever you do.....if you do not want to get infected with it, stay away from your local Klipsch dealer's demo room. [:P]

actually youthman, i can go two different ways, the salesman said i could go with the RB-61 for 100 bucks more instead of the RB-51s. But are you thinking I would be more pleased with the RF-62s? thanks again

also the onkyo receivers you recommended, they are not $400, THEY are $279 and $299!!!!!!!!! awesome thanks

• Moderators

i can go two different ways, the salesman said i could go with the RB-61 for 100 bucks more instead of the RB-51s. But are you thinking I would be more pleased with the RF-62s?

Yes, I think you will get a much fuller sound with the RF-62's than the bookshelf speaker. I am a fan of floor standing speakers over bookshelves if you have the room and the wife doesn't mind. You do not need to buy stands for them, the tweeter is close to ear level when sitting and let's face it....they just look cooler. [:D]

also the onkyo receivers you recommended, they are not $400, THEY are $279 and $299!!!!!!!!! awesome thanks

Awesome! I was looking at the list price. Guess you had to add it to cart to see the sale price. I corrected the prices in my above post and added the Onkyo TX-SR-605 to the list. It is $100 off so you can get it for $400 and still be well within your budget! Just check out the specs between them to see which one has the best features for the money.

what if I extended my budget to lets say $550, what good recivers with the right amount of power could I get? And basically you guys would say no to the sony dg910? I also would like to throw in, that i need a receiver with a decent amount of digital optical inputs if possible. thanks.

what about the denon 788?

yamaha?

I also would like to throw in, that i need a receiver with a decent amount of digital optical inputs if possible.

I think that is the one and only major thing to look at, enough connections. You have to remember that you are going to purchased this and keep it for a few years. What are you looking, if anything, to upgrade during that time span? What kind of connection are you going to need for said upgrades? They once that is done it will narrow every model down to a few and your hair pulling will start from there.

James

• Moderators

what if I extended my budget to lets say $550

I TOLD YOU!!! You've already been infected. [+o(] Call the Medic! [:P]

When you say "receivers with the right amount of power", any of the receivers I pointed out have enough power to drive your speakers. More power means more headroom, less opportunity for distortion. Don't get me wrong, more power is good (when it's clean power). There are guys driving large Klipsch speakers with 2 watt tube amps. They say 1 clean watt will seriously crank your speakers. Above my head but that's what they say.

Many Klipsch owners love their Denon (I have no experience with them). Many love the Yammie too. I did not suggest the Yammie because there were none on Vanns.com that was in your budget.

right! 2 or 3 HDMI inputs is fine. 2-4 optical inputs would be great. dont use svideo at all, component is always nice too. but mostly, ill have a satelite box running to it via HDMI, a xbox 360 running to the tv through component and optical to the receiver, and a ps3 running through HDMI to the tv and optical to the receiver. this way i dont always have to have my home theater on. Im kinda just stuck with the ONKYO, DENON, and maybe the HK. For the money, not sure which one is better than the next. the onkyo 605 has 90x7, HDMI 1.3 which is nice,2 optical and 2 HDMI. ahhhhhh!!

i know im being a pain with all these questions, just stick with me youthman and james. lol

• Moderators

And basically you guys would say no to the sony dg910?

Absolutely and here is why. Remember what I said about 50 watts of clean power is better than 100 watts of garbage?

Sony DG910 (Total Harmonic Distortion - 1%)

Onkyo TX-SR605 (Total Harmonic Distortion - .01%)

Would you rather have 1% of distortion or .01%? That's a huge difference!

• Moderators

Yeah, over the past year, Onkyo has put together some really good bang for your buck, high feature receivers. Did you notice the Onkyo 605 can process DD Plus, TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio? You won't find too many receivers in that kind of price range that offer HDMI 1.3 and the new HD Audio formats.

• Moderators

i know im being a pain with all these questions, just stick with me youthman and james. lol

Not at all, besides this is like a cold, you have to talk to people to spread the disease. Big Smile

James

[:D] Never looked at it that way before James. He is right though. All of us are here because we love audio and we enjoy helping each other out. We all have been on the receiving end so it's good to give back.

90 W + 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz,
0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
105 W + 105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%,
2 channels driven, FTC)
110 W + 110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

this is the specs on the ONKYO 605 for the left and right front. can u explain the differences in power rating and THD. I understand what THD is,but not understanding why the power actually goes up from 90 to 105 then to 110. I also understand the ohms from car stereos when i was younger. but when would i ever get 110 per channel or 105?

and Im actually almost sold on this particular receiver!!

check this out also, not sure if a reputable dealer:http://www.superdigitalmedia.com/product_info.php?products_id=1872

• There is a very interesting article on receivers and their rated power. I tried to find it but could not. It basically was showing how manufacturers will rate a receiver with just one channel driven. It gave a breakdown on what they actually delivered. Onkyo was decent as was HK. Yamaha rated decently but the unit tested was a higher end unit(1400) Sony was absolutely terrible delivering a measly 30 watts per channel when 5 channels were driven. I had seen this on the avsforum if you want to spend the time looking for it. If I find it I'll post it on here.
  • Ok I had the brands wrong here is the breakdown from that article.

Denon 4308

Rated: 140 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 171 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 111 watts

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

Denon 2307

Rated: 100 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 140 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 74 watts

Pioneer VSX-94TXH

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 178 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 61 watts

Onkyo 605

Rated: 90 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 144 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 80 watts

Onkyo 875

Rated: 140 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 201 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 128 watts

Yamaha RX-V2600

Rated: 130 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 158 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 55 watts

Yamaha RX-V1800

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 196 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 119 watts - 6 channels driven

Yamaha RX-V661

Rated: 90 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 151 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 53 watts - 6 channels driven

Sony DG910

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 84 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 30 watts - and that's only with 5 channels driven

Cambridge 640R

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 166 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 91 watts

Integra DTR-7.6

Rated: 105 watts per channel

Output with 1 channel driven (8 ohms): 148 watts

Output with all channels driven (8 ohms): 44 watts

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...ers-page2.html