Help on Cabling Please...

Underhanded Penguin

Hi guys. I have a lot of cables behind my a/v rack (as do everybody else) and was wondering how important it is to have your cables well organized. Right now, it's just a bunch of spahgetti. Does this cause audible and visual disturbance? If I take the time to better organize my cables will I get clearer sound and picture? I know that in network cabling it is best to have data cables and power cables separated and perpendicular to each other in order to reduce emi. I'm sure it is the same case with a/v cables, but to what extent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

It doesn't hurt to keep the cables as neat as possible, if just from a trouble shooting standpoint. On my system, I mainly concerned myself with trying to keep the AC power cords to the equipment away from the speaker and interconnect cables to avoid any induced noise from the AC.

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Denon DCD-1520

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

Klipsch Tangent 5000 mains

Klipsch Tangent 1000 rears

Klipsch Tangent Center Theater

You may want to get some split-cable wraps (tubes). These are the flexible black tubes, cut to length yourself) and come up to 1" (I think) in diameter. See how many low-line-level wires you can put into one tube. The object is to kee it as simple looking as possible. I did it to my computer and it looks tons better.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 01-14-2002 at 02:01 PM

i jsut recently did this... for five feet of cable to wrap, 5 14 guage wires, it took ten feet of the wrap. keep that in mind, don't buy 20 feet to wrap 20 feet of wires because it, mind at least, is like a spiral and the more you put in it the less you have to use.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Geez- You had me goin' for a second or two. When you said 'new sig' I thought you just bought a new Sig Sauer firearm. Guess that come from being a Class 1 firearms dealer for 13 yearscwm20.gif.

------------------

Tom

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Power HTS-5000

Vibrapods

Tom you just got me goin'. Sig has a new firearm? What are the specs? Were you selling to civilians or to the military/police? I'm just curious how much a 552 goes for? If you only sell to civilians then you probably didn't carry any assault rifles. Our gun laws are much stricter here in Canada. All we have available for civilians are sports rifles. And nothing exotic either. Just run of the mill stuff like Smith and Wessons. If I could, I'd love to get my hands on a fn p90 or a famas. I think they look awesome.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

UP-

Well, the Class I designation is limited to (long list) non-fully-automatic arms that hold no more than 10 rounds (for semi-auto handgun), 10 rounds for semi-auto rifle (doesn't matter if it has a detachable magazine, tube magazine or whatever) and 5-round limit for semi-auto shotgun.

Myself?? I own a Sig Sauer P-228 and a P-210 Olympic grade. The 228 is current house centry (seeing I havn't trained our cat to attack on command yet) loaded with Winchester's (now banned for sale but the slug is a different color and going under a different name: wink) Black Talon 147gr. HP. I once shot my .45ACP with Black Talon ammo into a wet grocery bag stuffed with newspaper. To say the least the uniformity of the expansion is quite impressive.

Yes the laws is some parts of the world a IMHO simply ludicrice. Thankfully, Cincinnati just had a judgment by a small group of plaintiffs that are pushing to declare the "no consealed cary" law as unconstitutional. But thats a debate all by itself.

My favorite one to get hold of to buy would be a Heckler & Koch P7-M13 or at least the P7-M8. You can see one of those in Die Hard (first movie), the head villain carried one.

For rifles, and for small annoying game around the house, currently on duty is a Remington 541-HB .22lr. But I would rather have a Remington 40-XBBR, but who wants to carry around all that weight?

Here, we can get a little crazy. I did a little competition handgun shooting as well. Here's a home made piece:

Colt Gold Cup #SN30629 (from 1991)

Base gun $750.00

Millett Duel crimp Sights $62.00

Sight installation $50.00

Heine Barrel and compensator $209.50

Barrel and compensator installation $40.00

Milling of compensator to clear rod guide $15.00

Action job with 2 3/4 lb. trigger pull $45.00

Shim for Series '70 conversion $2.50

Wilson Rod guide (2 piece) $32.00

Wilson Extended slide stop $27.00

Installation of extended slide stop $10.00

Wilson Extended thumb safety $24.00

Installation of extended thumb safety $25.00

Videki Adjustable trigger $15.00

Installation of adjustable trigger $15.00

Ed Brown Extended grip safety $22.00

Installation of extended grip safety $5.00

S&A Extended magazine release with spring $34.00

Installation of magazine release with spring$5.00

Hogue Pau Ferro Wood grips $23.20

Inletting of wood grips to clear slide stop$10.00

S&A Flat mainspring housing with magazine well$69.99

Wilson Narrow slot grip screws $7.50

Wilson 47DE Magazines with bumper pads (x2)$54.00

Wolfe Internal spring kit $15.00

Clark Case extractor $23.00

Adjust extractor $15.00

Clark Extended ejector $17.00

Adjust ejector $15.00

The Shooter Shot Dura-Chrome gun plating $97.00

Bullseye Four finger trigger spring $6.00

Safariland 008 Holster $99.99

Test ammunition $50.00

Subtotal $1890.68

Sales tax @ 5 1/2% $103.99

Grand Total $1994.67

Sorry, to everyone since this is so off topic...

Hey! Thanks for the great info Tom! I'm gonna do a search for that sauer gun right now. I thought the head viallain in die hard 1 had a Steyr Aug. Actually, I'm positive he did. And the other terrorists mostly had HK mp5's as did Bruce Willis. Anyways. Thanks again. Hey It would be so awesome if you could post some pics!

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

Well...ah...the Steyer AUG is an assault rifle and I don't doubt they were used in the movie. But Mr. Takagi (spelling?) was executed with the P7-M8 also the head vilain (God, I wish I could remember his name) put his handgun on a ledge before he climbed around a corner where he met some of the would-be hostatges (or was it Bruce Willis). The head villain wanted to go back where his gun was and made up some story to do so (he never did in that scene). The camera crew made a nice close up of it on the ledge. Here's a picture, notice the squeeze-c*o*c*k mechanism (the one I shot took quite a bit of strength to c*o*c*k and shoot steadily. Darn automatic text sensors, I can't even say how to charge the weapon without getting requoted. http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/civilian/p7frameset.html . Anyway, as nice as a Steyer is I don't think could use it for concealed carry cwm12.gif .

BTW-The Sig Sauer P228 isn't available to the public anymore. Has to do with some military contract. The P229 is though. http://www.sigarms.com/products/classiccompactsize-models.asp?product_id=39&produ ct_name=P229

------------------

Tom

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Power HTS-5000

Vibrapods

This message has been edited by tblasing on 01-17-2002 at 12:02 PM

Okay you're right. Alan Rickman was the main villain. I was thinking of the blonde guy who comes back at the very end and the fat black guy shoots him with his .38. In my mind I was thinking he was the main villain because throughout the whole movie he wanted to get revenge on Bruce Willis for killing his terrorist brother. He was using a Steyer Aug. I prefer the fn p90's looks over the Aug's. I also like the feeding mechanism for the rounds on a p90 magazine. 50 rounds per magazine, and each round is rotated before it is fed into the firing chamber. All this and it has a very low jam rate! Pretty amazing considering the first automatics ever made jammed like crazy. Also, because the bullets are oriented perpendicular to the length of the magazine, it makes the entire system very compact and easily concealable. I think it's one of the best looking, most ergonomic and deadliest weapons for urban tactical applications.

-UP

------------------

This has been a funny thread. First a question on cable routing. Then a reference to someone's signature, then a fireams discussion. Finally back to a related topic of home theater. This is great!

Justin- Yes I'm very much on "our" side (more grey area to pondercwm11.gif). A little crazed, but on "our" side. Now where did I put that English dictionary. AND GIVE ME BACK MY DETONATORS!!

Dispite the futuristic looks of the Steyer AUG, I do agree it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for personal changes the owner would want to make. The fixed mounted scope tops the list. Not sure if I could get used to the magazine being inserted into the bottom of the shoulder stock. http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/5996/aug.htm If anyone has one that needs extreamly long term reviewing just sent your AUG to Tom Blasing (pronounced 'Blazing' and yes, that's my real name!!)c/o the Blammo Ammo Co. Cincin.....

------------------

Tom

This message has been edited by tblasing on 01-17-2002 at 11:59 AM

A question is raised concerning the link between owning Klipsch speakers and firearms. I too enjoy both. Maybe it is more socioeconomics, but they can take my Klipsch Fortes when they pry them from my fingers... (oops, maybe I meant my Glock 19...)

As far a the AUG is concerned, I prefer an old heavyweight, the Springfield Armory M1-A Supermatch with a Weaver 4x16x on top. < .75 MOA with 168 gr federal match ammo, not bad for a semiauto.