Need help--- looking at Fortes

Vahorns

Am looking at Fortes from an original owner.

Have been told these speakers were recently checked over by an authorized Klipsch dealer, and pass all tests.

What areas (mods, maintenance, etc) should I look at?

How loudly do Forte's play, and where were they postioned in the speaker line versus the K-horn top of the line?

What would be a fair price for a pair of these, in excellent working/cosmetic condition/

Thanks in advance for any help.

My current setup:

Hafler DH-200 with Musical Concepts mods

Dynaco PAT-4 with Musical Concepts mods

Adcom GTP-400

Marantz CD-63 SE

Kenwood TT (Concrete-Resin DD) with English low-mass tonearm and Sonus Blue cartridge

NO SPEAKERS at this time (waiting for Klipsch!)

The Forte is an excellent speaker. Do you know if they are series I or II? The original Forte was made from 1985-1989 and the II was made from 1990-1996. Do you have the serial numbers for these (that will determine the year)? The speaker itself will probably play louder than you can stand. They are rated at 98dB @ 1watt/1meter and go down to 32hz (not sure how flat it is down to there).

I think a fair price for a pair (depending on condition) would be around $500. I paid $500 for a pair of mint Chorus II's so there are deals to be had. For more info on the Forte click here .

I see you are from Burke, Virginia. I just moved from Springfield this past March. Lived there for 20 years and sure do miss the Birchmere. Don't miss the traffic though. Biggrin.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 01-14-2002 at 02:23 PM

The Forte's are Series I, and were purchased new in 1989. They will be sold with the original cartons, manuals, and were recently checked by an authorized dealer, guaranteed to function and sound correct.

Is $525 a fair price, if the wood is in excellent condition, only very minor surface scratches?

I am in Burke, and traffic is not too bad, with all the improvements in the Mixing Bowl area.

I have a brother retired in Naples, who I just visited over the holidays. Great FL area!

$525 is not bad but I would offer him $450 and see if he bites. It never hurts to try and haggle a little. You can use the cosmetic blemishes as your reason for price reduction. What is the finish (finished black, oiled oak, etc.) of the speakers?

I live just outside Orlando but am in agreement about the Naples area. Very nice indeed...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hi Vahorns: Here was the 1989 Klipsch lineup:

Klipschorn, Freq Resp 35-17, 104 spl, $1744.00 each

Belle, Freq Resp 45-17, 104 spl, $1429.00 each

La Scala, Freq Resp 45-17, 104 spl, $938.00 each

Cornwall II, Freq Resp 38-20, 101 spl, $819.00 each

Chorus II, Freq Resp 45-20, 101 spl, $815.00 each

Forte II, Freq Resp 32-20, 98 spl, $649.00 each

Heresy II, Freq Resp 50-20, 96 spl, $464.00 each

KG4, Freq Resp, 38-20, 94 spl, $339.00 each

KG2, Freq Resp, 38-20, 90.5 spl, $238.00 each

As for Mods, the only one I would attempt is to get them in a larger room - mine completely overwhelm my 11 x 18 x 7' listening area. PWK set us up the bomb when these were built!

The price of these Fortes is now at $545.

The speakers have not been oiled since new, but have very fine, minor scratches. The owner feels that oiling would remove the scratches, but has decided not to, at this time.

The passive radiators (woofers) have been replaced in both speakers, and the speakers overall function and performance have been certified by an authorized K.dealer.

I will know by Friday whether I get the speakers.

I don't think that oiling them will get rid of the scratches. Why doesn't he just oil them and then report back to you?

The problem at the moment is it's a sellers market and it doesn't look like the educated consumer is gonna get a deal for awhile. I would also be leary of these because of the radiators being replaced. Sounds to me like they have been worked hard...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

still, $600 to put you into the leagues of the big old horns, if you like their sound, is not really very much, especailly when you compare how much you will end up spending on your stereo over the next few years because you love the music so much! Go for it and don'w think about power anymore, think quality of sound: details, tone and texture -

and oil your cabinets at least once a year ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!