info on 1961 k-horns

came accross an old pair dated march 22, 1961 . I think there architecural speakers, the cabinets look home made. It comes with brochure, tages and other info.drives are wolfer k-33-j mid k-55 driver k5-j horn . The horn being made of fiberglass and wood sides. Crossover says k500 5000 w5. Under the W5 are the # 33. I have a chance to buy them for 3000.00. Is that a good price . I now have Belle mid 70's that i love. Are These k-horns going to make that much of a difference from my belles ? Will they sound better then new k-horns. HELP can't decide . Wife says one or the other. Tweeter k-77 ?

$3000 is twice too much for decorator models; maybe more. Keep looking for another pair.

The K-horn will have noticeably deeper bass than your Belles. The squawker horns in yours will also have wider dispersion at higher frequencies than the K-5-J.

John

I am use a stock 58 decorater stlye (raw plywood with exposed horns).I love the way the mid horn sounds look compared to the late ones.

I also have a 2 59 stle c with top and side covers.

that sound the same.

I think the horns look rel cool with the top off.

The older speaker were or top quillity.

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by John Albright:

$3000 is twice too much for decorator models; maybe more. Keep looking for another pair.

The K-horn will have noticeably deeper bass than your Belles. The squawker horns in yours will also have wider dispersion at higher frequencies than the K-5-J.

John

John thanks for the info. I'LL keep my belles mabe i should add a sub to get the bass im looking for. The k horns are in great shape a used audio dealer has them. He said the came from estate sale . Story goes , doc died mid 60s, wife put them in storage . then she died and here the are. John, I thought the older the speaker (classic) the better the sound Thinking they would have used better quility and workmanship. Uno like EV,ALTEC ect. Wally

quote:

Originally posted by khorn58:

I am use a stock 58 decorater stlye (raw plywood with exposed horns).I love the way the mid horn sounds look compared to the late ones.

I also have a 2 59 stle c with top and side covers.

that sound the same.

I think the horns look rel cool with the top off.

The older speaker were or top quillity.

Jim

Jim, do you have the K-5-J style horn or was that just made in 1961 ? John said this type is not as good as later ones. These old speaker look good But I'm looking for sound. Wally

Wally, it is with the greatest respect that I disagree with John. I have pre-55 Khorns. They came with the fibreglass/wood sectoral horns. To my ears, they have a grandeur unequaled by the newer straight horns. With the sectorals, there is no 'sweet spot', but rather the whole room is sweet. I replaced my horns however because of the fibreglass' tendancy to 'clack', and replaced with Altec 511b's. These possess almost identical properties, but with a little rope caulk, do not ring, clack or 'pollute' the sound.

I recently removed the straight horn from my center belle and replaced it with a 511b. HUGE difference in overall sound dispersion and quality.

$3000.....ooooh. Little steep. For half that you could score a newer set of Khorns and replace the components with vintage.

------------------

Ed