1080p versus 1080i?

DTLongo

My 2004 Pioneer PDP-5040HD 50" plasma HDTV supports 1080i but not 1080p. I am running 1080i to it via HDMI from my new Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray player but of course can't run 1080p.

From folks familiar with both 1080i and 1080p, what am I missing by not having the latter? What is the actual visual difference and is it subtle or dramatic?

i have a 19 & 32 inch samsung flat panel 720P. i have a sony 46 inch flat panel 1080P and a samsung 52 inch flat panel 1080P. i think the 32 inch 720P has the best picture so i would say you are not missing any picture quality.

I'll try to explain it as I understand it. there are 1080 lines from top to bottom of your screen on each screen. The p on 1080p stands for progressive scan.

The i in 1080i stands for interlaced. 60hz is a typicall rating for a lot of tvs(there are others but for simplicity we'll use 60hz). This means every second the screen refreshes 60 times. On a progressive scan(1080p) all1080 lines are refreshed every 60th of a second. On an interlaced display every other line is refreshed every 30th of a second and the other half are refreshed every 30th of a second alternating between the two. So all the information is in the signal anyway. A good tv will deinterlace the signal and it will be identical to a 1080p. Will you notice it? Probably not unless you are sitting very close. To illustrate a point, go into a store with several TVs and look at a pioneer elite displaying a 720 p signal then compare it to a really cheap 1080p display. the pioneer will probably look better because there are other factors in how good they look. Until recently I had a 480p projector that easily bested my 720 samsung dlp. It died recently and I replaced it with a 1080p dlp that rocks. Do your research on what brands have great pictures.

If you haven't been to the avs forum check it out. The brands that have the best reps will have long owners threads. I like samsung, mitsubishi, sony, LG, Pioneer, Panasonic

Your plasma is permanently displaying 1080p when you feed it a 1080i signal. The plasma does not use raster scan lines like a CRT display. Hence it always displays a progressive picture. The Pioneer plasma deinterlaces the 1080i signal to 1080p before it displays it.

If you had a display that accepts a 1080p 60 Hz signal, you would have to decide whater your plasma or your Blu-ray player has the better de-interlacer. The only time a display is likely to have a major advantage in accepting a 1080p signal is when the signal is at 24 frames per second. Some displays support multiples such as 72 frames per second. Suddenly all the problems caused by the need to deinterlace go away. Some displays do ad new problems with a 1080p signal at 24 Hz due to design errors, but that is another story.

Bill