Ever hear of the Klipsch BULLSH*T Champaign

QUiKSR20

The 'campaign' in question is that of Mr. PWK himself. When asked his opinion of the latest 'audio breakthrough', Paul would often reply with that one-word critique. To Paul, a design is either based on fundamentally correct science and engineering or it's b*llsh*t. Hence the buttons. PWK has always handed them out and kept a supply very nearby at all times. He even took to wearing the pin on the back side of his tie or on the back side of his lapel. Then, he didn't even need to utter the word; he merely turned his tie around to indicate his opinion.

What a philosophy! Smile.gif So when asked about BO$E, I wonder what Father Paul would say... Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

This story seems appropriate for my 2000th post.

The long-standing industry joke has it that one day Paul Klipsch and Amar Bose happen to bump into each other while walking down the street. Mr. Bose cups his hands over his mouth and says "Hello Paul" to Mr. Klipsch. Paul then turns to face away from Amar and putting his hand in front of his mouth to bounce the sound back says "Hello Amar".

If you are an audio nut like me you are now rolling on the ground laughing out loud (rotglol). It's an old story not verified but VERY often repeated.

BobG

i actually did laugh out loud! boy would i like to see that! LoL! that is great!

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

I like that story Bob G! Isn't odd that two men such as PWK and Mr. Bose could come up with speakers that are so different yet have so much in common:

1. Both men have used very scientific approaches to come up with their versions of what is "right" as far as speakers and sound.

2. Both brands are mostly reviled by the "audiophile" community.

3. Both brands have very large sales volumes, contrary to what the "audiophiles" would expect.

4. Both brands have survived for decades as others have come and gone.

5. Both brands have made extensive use of some form of loading of their drivers to increase output and reduce distortion. (I know that Bose doesn't use horns in a conventional sense, but an "acoustic wave guide" seems a lot like a folded horn in it's effect).

6. Both brands flagship products, the Klipschorn and the 901, while having bandwidth that covers the musical spectrum (considered to be about 40hz to 15khz before cd's) don't have frequency response that is particularly flat or "extended" on either end of the spectrum.

7. Finally, while the Klipschorn is the longest continually produced speaker (although since it's been so long since you could actually buy a new one, that title seems to be in jeopardy) the 901 may well be second or third. The Heresy is right up there as well.

So it would seem that if you take a scientific approach to designing a speaker, get the response and bandwidth to be most correct in the musical part of the audible spectrum, and refine your product instead of trying to pretend that you have reinvented the wheel every couple of years, you can be successful, while having a product that is unique compared to what is considered "normal".

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Kevin S---Very intersting comments, interesting indeed and points out the fact that there is not even a common agreement on what a perfect loudspeaker should actually do, much less make one. About 30 years ago I attended a talk that PWK gave at a hi-fi store and he absolutely reviled the Bose approach, I think he hated Boses even more than ARs. He said that Bose 901s made 15% IM distortion at 100db when used as recommended, however he found that if he turned them backwards and pushed them tight into a corner IM dropped to 9%. PWK had good things to say about Altec and WE speakers, said that if he didn't make speakers he'd use Altec VOTs. For some reason he didn't like JBL, maybe lingering resentment over the Hartsfield? I still have the "bullshit" button he gave me.

I envy you, you have actually MET Mr. Paul W. Klipsch?! WIth my luck I will only meet Mr. Tsao.. cwm14.gif

------------------

-justin

Very interesting comments, Kevin and TB!

I'd just like to add one thing: I think a lot of "dyed-in-the-wool" audiophiles do at least, respect the Klipsch heritage, if not their place in the world compared to todays more "audiophile-approved" brands. Which is still a lot more than can be said for their opinion about Dr Bose.

It's just that most of todays audiophiles have probably never heard a pair of klipschorns properly set-up in a good room. Or they've forgotten. Plus a lot of it has to do with the notion that the newer, more expensive product must be the better product. Of course, it ain't necessarily so.

------------------

JDMcCall