Avr that can bridge power form rear to fronts?

draynes

If you are talking about a form of biamping- using the 2 unused rear channels of a 7.1 receiver in a 5.1 configuration, then I believe the Denon 2808,3808, 4308 will do it as well. By hooking up your speakers in this manner, you generally lose any Zone 2 capability. It is debatable if it is beneficial to biamp in this method.

Well I only have room for a five channel setup. But I would like to get a 7.1 avr for in the future. I was trying to get the most power to the RF-7. So if I am going to buy one I would like to get one that has that feature. To my knowledge those Onkyo actually bridge the amp internally. Which is not the as bi amping. Unless I am mistaken. I do not want to bi-amp I am looking to bridge the rear channels and the front's to get the most power. I am stuck in my current house due to military and not interested in hanging speakers any were.

Well I only have room for a five channel setup. But I would like to get a 7.1 avr for in the future. I was trying to get the most power to the RF-7. So if I am going to buy one I would like to get one that has that feature. To my knowledge those Onkyo actually bridge the amp internally. Which is not the as bi amping. Unless I am mistaken. I do not want to bi-amp I am looking to bridge the rear channels and the front's to get the most power. I am stuck in my current house due to military and not interested in hanging speakers any were.

The RF-7's actually benefit from amps with higher damping factors - not more power handling. I think the confusion arises because most amps with more power also happen to have better damping, but it's the better damping that is improving the sound.

That said, bridging any amplifier actually cuts the damping in half. So in your situation, adding more power by bridging to the rear channel amps is going to reduce the sound quality while giving you 3dB more max SPL. I dunno if the tradeoff is worth it.

I would be sooner inclined to find yourself a separate power amp for the mains and drive it off the LR preouts from the receiver.

Thank you speakerfritz. I am try to find receivers that bridge the power from the rears to the fronts. Like the TX-NR1000. I am not interested in messing with bi-amping i don't want to mess with the speakers to much. Also thank you DrWho. I don't know why I didn't think that in the first place. I guess I just got tied up in the plethora of specifications.

To the best of my knowledge, this is not TRUE bi-amping in that you don't electronically separate the frequencies before the amp channels, so there is no efficiency gain or tweeter protection. Both amps are running full bandwidth.

In a perfect world, you'd double the wattage by this method, thereby gaining a whopping 3 db in your system. More than likely it's much less than this because you won't be pumping 90 or 120 watts into your tweeter horn.

It's really a matter of power supply. Most modern receivers are pretty tapped out running 5 speakers, much less 7 (note how much true power output per channel drops when you go from 2 to 5 to 7 channels).

I think it's a marketing gimmick by manufacturers to make people think they aren't wasting money by buying 7.1 when all most people need is 5.1.

If you need more power, do as Doc says- get a nice power amp and use it for the main two speakers, thereby freeing receiver power supply for your center and side surrounds. You'll also get to use Zone 2 when you do this. And you'll gain REAL wattage, probably better damping factor, and lower THD.

Plus it'll look cooler.

M